Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 72 corvette. My car emits gas fumes for several days after I drive it. I heard it could be the charcoal canister , but I can't find a replacement for it. Any advice would be appreciated .

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
Welcome to our forum Wes4975 and congrats on your 72. Hopefully one of our C3 owners can help.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, current '16 Z06
9,117 Posts
Wes, welcome aboard. Smell gas, in cabin? Around engine compartment? When driving? Just sitting idling? Could be a multitude of symptoms. I have a Rochester carb, it's set a little rich, so I do smell the exhaust of a richer setting at idling but I do not smell raw gas. Can you pinpoint the area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the Rochester quadrajet , it's not so bad when it's running but it doesn't go away after the car is off, smells like the front of the car but my garage is so pungent it's hard to tell

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I've got the Rochester quadrajet , it's not so bad when it's running but it doesn't go away after the car is off, smells like the front of the car but my garage is so pungent it's hard to tell
Are you talking just exhaust fumes...or...raw gas fumes? After I fire my '75 up in the garage, exhaust fumes will stay in there for a while. If I leave the garage doors open and open the side door, I can get some cross breezes in there to evacuate most of the fumes. If not, the fumes will stay in there for the day or until I turn on the HAC to recirculate the air, and that will take a couple hours. Hopefully you don't have raw gas, not good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's gas, after reading it could be that it's because I don't have a gas cap gasket or part of the evap and maybe the charcoal cannistet

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Got it. Sorry, I'm no help there, best of on the fix.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a '72 which I bought new in 1972. It's now running a Holly carb. There is no noticeable gas odor while driving. The only time there is an odor is if I advance the throttle with the ignition off. Then you can see gas from the jets entering the carb throat and there is a lingering gas odor. I can't remember if the charcoal canister was removed during the engine rebuild about 15 years ago. My guess is that it was. The only smog device I know I retained was the PCV valve. The car is at my son's house and I will look to see if it still has the canister connected. I may not get a chance to look until Saturday.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Can’t tell you exactly what solved the problem but our 79 did the same thing. When we did a Resto on it and replaced all the lines and hoses including working on the charcoal canister the problem ceased. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a frequent question on many older car forums and it may be due to the absence of a cat converter. I will not post the other forum discussions here for obvious reasons but if you google "no catalytic converter smell" you will find plenty of pre74 vehicles that reference that same problem. I think 75 was the first year it was mandated by the federal gvt in our stingrays.

Dont just chalk it up to the absence of cat-con though... be sure you check leaky hoses and cracked seals like other posters suggested.

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
Welcome to our forum McC3ants and thanks for your suggestion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts