Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to theCorvettemechanic.com., specifically the expertise of one of the pre-eminent Corvette Technicians, Paul Koerner, we have a technical audio interview presenting detailed new, technical new information on the new 8L90. He details some of the internal and external equipment changes for the new automatic.

http://www.thecorvettemechanic.com/forum/podcasts/TheCorvetteMechanicPodcast0140.mp3

About 25 minutes long, in the middle they digress for one minute about 2014 StingRay customer color choices, interior and exterior, but get through that short digression and keep listening if you want more 8-speed auto information.

BTW, those going to the NCM "20th Anniversary Celebration," will have several opportunities to meet and discuss Corvette technical information (all generations of the Corvette) with Paul at the seminars he will be presenting there.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Thank you John. This was an interesting clip and provided some first hand information from a technical standpoint. It sounded like the clip was made earlier on in the release of information on the new 8L90 from a transmission technicians point of view. It appears this new transmission isn't just a redesign, but an entirely new revolutionary design to provide the driver better responsiveness and performance, which equates into far more efficiency. I know many in the forum are concerned about the transmission overheating during track conditions, which the 6L90 apparently displayed in going into limp mode after only ten minutes on the track. It certainly sounds like they've addressed this situation with this new design. I've gathered most of the heat in automatics is created by the torque converter, which has apparently been completely redesigned as well. I think this is where the key to reducing heat in the transmission lies. Regardless, I'm willing to take a chance with it, therefore I'll be ordering this new transmission with my new Z06 next year.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I wonder if the tranny fluid change interval will be different from the recommendations suggested on the current tranny?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice automatic torque-converter transmissions summary comments from AutoWeek.

"After driving three high-powered cars with eight-speed, torque-converter automatics (Challenger SRT Helcat, Jaguar F Type R, and now this 2015 Vette), we can say the newest models are every bit as good as dual-clutches. They can ship this fast, feel smoother and are rough on low speed lunches like many performance-oriented DCT's."*

* Oct. 27, 2014 issue.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't shift as fast as most of you are hoping it does.
It shifts extremely fast. I've been beating on mine for a couple of days now and it is hands down unlike any other automatic I've driven. I've driven a lot of built fast shifting automatics (mostly drag racing) and this beats them all. My opinion.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Frankly, torque converters are not all bad, they do have some ADVANTAGES. Torque multiplications and a "buffer" for rotational roughness are 2 of them. I think there is a very real place for "slush box" torque converter/planetary gear transmissions in high performance cars. The third pedal is all but dead in supercars and dual clutch transmissions are not necessarily superior in all respects. Torque converter/planetary automatics and dual clutch transmissions will likely compete for market share for some time.

Let's not turn this thread into another p-sing contest on transmissions. As the OP has shared, a lot of the preliminary reports on the A8, and other automatics, are rather positive. If the early reports prove to be accurate, we should be celebrating! The Corvette would be one of the only 2 seat high performance sport cars that for a relatively reasonable amount of money can be had with a third pedal or a paddle shifting automatic. It doesn't get much better than this!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Agree LT1xL82 - no real argument intended. Drive what you like. What I can say is anyone who is curious should drive one of the A8s on a track. To be frank the paddles aren't necessary - as soon as you're really into the car - essentially aggressive driving - the car recognizes this and responds appropriately. It is very rare you'll find yourself in the wrong gear. It really is that decent.

That said I understand the allure of a clutch and full control. No wrong answer here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an A8 and yeah it is an awesome transmission.

The future isn't just for DCTs and these kinds of Autos. The CVT will also be in the game. Just give it some time to mature. The CVT in my Forester XT is great. It just can't handle more than about 300 lb-ft of torque.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Usually dislike autos and had serious reservations when I ordered mine. However after driving mine today easy and hard I am very impressed with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts