Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once in a blue moon (2 or 3 times a year) when driving S-mode when accelerating I can hear a ‘clunk’ coming from the drivetrain. It sounds like the drive shaft comes into contact with something or something along the drivetrain falls into place, I can’t feel anything in the steering or in my bum that would indicate anything being hit when this happens, its just a loud ‘clunk’/‘bang’.

I’ve tried reproducing it immediately each time after it happened but with no luck.

·
Administrator
17,418 Posts
Wow, with that very low level of occurrence and no other symptoms after it occurs is going to make it very difficult to id. Any consistency that you can remember re weather/temp, road conditions, tire pressures, etc. across the incidents?

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
Once in a blue moon (2 or 3 times a year) when driving S-mode when accelerating I can hear a ‘clunk’ coming from the drivetrain. It sounds like the drive shaft comes into contact with something or something along the drivetrain falls into place, I can’t feel anything in the steering or in my bum that would indicate anything being hit when this happens, its just a loud ‘clunk’/‘bang’.

I’ve tried reproducing it immediately each time after it happened but with no luck.
Does it only happen shortly after you start driving the vehicle, and only if it is the first drive of the day?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 15 stingray and 19 Z06 did the same thing. The axle shaft nuts on the outer hubs were not tight enough. I tighten them but it came back after a few months. I then bought new nuts, used blue lock tight, and tighten them 25 ft lb tighter than spec. It didn't come back after that. It's amazing how a tight spline can still make such a loud noise.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 15 stingray and 19 Z06 did the same thing. The axle shaft nuts on the outer hubs were not tight enough. I tighten them but it came back after a few months. I then bought new nuts, used blue lock tight, and tighten them 25 ft lb tighter than spec. It didn't come back after that. It's amazing how a tight spline can still make such a loud noise.
Interesting! A few questions to clarify things.

When you say axle shaft do you mean the prop shaft between the engine and gearbox or the drive shafts to each wheel?

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "outer hubs"?

And what is the torque for these?

Thank you. 😊

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi hope you had a good Thanksgiving!
I'm talking about the axles that go to the wheels and the outer hubs are what the wheels are bolted to. I believe the spec torque for that nut is 184 lb-ft and I torqued them to 210lb-ft and used blue lock tight. I'm not 100% about the socket size but I think it was a 36mm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi hope you had a good Thanksgiving!
I'm talking about the axles that go to the wheels and the outer hubs are what the wheels are bolted to. I believe the spec torque for that nut is 184 lb-ft and I torqued them to 210lb-ft and used blue lock tight. I'm not 100% about the socket size but I think it was a 36mm.
I will add that if you are going down this route, the spline nuts are considered single use only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts