Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spend a fair amount of time scouting out issues, or possible issues with the C-7 and have noticed there is not much discussion about issues regarding the automatic tranny in the C-7. Now I know that by asking this question it may reveal things that I have not heard about, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, but please don't nit-pick. If you have had an issue that required dealer's attention what did you have to do to get it corrected, and what was the underlying issue?

·
Administrator
16,580 Posts
Good query: No issues whatsoever with 6k+ miles. All sorts of driving conditions (city, cruising, high speed, mountain driving) and normally use the paddle shifters for part of every drive. No regrets.:cool:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have unintentionally put it in manual mode which goes high in the rpm and then you realize ooops I think I better shift now or put it in auto? I think this is more of a PICNIC problem then transmission issue?
PICNIC = Problem In Chair Not In Car :confused:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have unintentionally put it in manual mode which goes high in the rpm and then you realize ooops I think I better shift now or put it in auto? I think this is more of a PICNIC problem then transmission issue?
I do that sometimes with the DSG transmission in my Volkswagen. It will downshift when the revs get too low, but I don't think it upshifts when you get to redline.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
No problems, as the rev limiter will prevent damage during acceleration.

And when the rev limiter kicks-on, you'll know it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Perfect option to have, no problems here.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Bought the auto this time with my C7 so my wife can enjoy the magic of a Vette. No longer live in SoCal where stop-n-go with a manual was getting old, but still happy with the auto so far. Paddling with my fingers versus my feet nowadays, strange brew.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had auto in my C5, 6 and 7. I have never had any issue. I know and respect others with the manual--but I cant out think the auto. The paddles are fun to use on occasion. The new Z06 with auto is my target acquisition. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
No issues while I had mine and I had it over 140 twice (deserted two lane rural road).

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
To answer the question directly, no issues whatsoever. It is slick, efficient, trouble-free, and versatile. Though she has only driven the StingRay once, my wife can jump in and go. She prefers the auto in automatic mode; I prefer it in paddle mode and use it that way every time I drive the car, unless my wife is with me. She likes the smooth, not jerking ride of automatic mode. I quite like the jerky, macho, loud, and my control paddle mode. I guess that we have different tastes. However, that said, she loves the StingRay just like I do, just for different reasons. This is my first sports car wtih an auto. I have to confess that I do miss a manual/clutch sometimes.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If it were a two speed Powerglide, I would take the stick. However, with the 8AT for 2015, I will take the automatic with paddles.

Remember Jim Hall and the Chaparral? It was an automatic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wish the shifts were "crisper". My previous auto Vette was a '92 LT1 which would chirp the tires on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Does anyone know if this is this something (crisper shifts) which could be achieved with programming?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wish the shifts were "crisper". My previous auto Vette was a '92 LT1 which would chirp the tires on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Does anyone know if this is this something (crisper shifts) which could be achieved with programming?
Did your 92 have traction control?

·
Registered
147 Posts
With just 2,900 miles there are no issues to report. Wait, there is one issue, my left leg doesn't hurt after a long drive in stop and go traffic like my '08 6-speed. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did your 92 have traction control?
Yes. However, I do not remember (it has been 11 years) whether or not I would switch it to OFF. [If I were to guess I'd say I did turn ASR to OFF.]

It is not that I want the C7 to chirp the tires when it shifts, but I do enjoy a "crisper" shift with less perceived slippage.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it were a two speed Powerglide, I would take the stick. However, with the 8AT for 2015, I will take the automatic with paddles.

Remember Jim Hall and the Chaparral? It was an automatic.
Indeed I do! As a kid he was my hero. I sent him a fan letter and he sent me these. That's Jim driving # 66.
Chaparral 65.JPG
Chaparral 66 (3) (640x429).jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts