Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this report on another forum and found it to be pretty troubling.

"Just got the car back on Friday and almost died on Saturday...

One day with my new c7 and after I installed the targa top I got a broken windshield , just got her back Friday and yesterday while on track mode selection with rev matching on the car while running at 40 miles on a turn it went hey wire and locked all 4 wheels and jumped to a dead stop, a miracle the cars behind me did not crash on me, trans made horrific noise and start smelling.....also other electronic problems

690 miles on the C7 Z51"

There is not much in the way of details here, so we have to work with what is written. I cannot believe that this problem has anything to do with the braking system, but in light of other Z-51's having E-diff issues (low or no diff lubricant) I believe that the e-diff is the culprit in what happened to this person's car. I have heard where GM has issued a TSB for dealers to check fluid level in Z-51 e-diff units but do not know if this is a rumor or is factual? Anybody have any details about this issue, or any thoughts about it?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
As a former dealer zone rep for BMW, Porsche and Honda, I hate to see a post like this because they send everyone into paranoid conniptions like Orson Welles did in 1939. I don't doubt that it happened, or even that one will go up in flames next week. Stuff happens and it will be fixed. As said a million times, a new Vette is made of thousands of parts and some will not interact well. What you have to do is scour the websites for, is MULTIPLE occurrences of the same item, like a fuel pump going bad on BMW's or a coil failure on a Honda. Until then, they are one-offs that will happen with a product made by humans....

You can also ponder how good things are by things that don't happen - for example, from all the forum dealers and the NCM, hundreds of vettes are being driven home to all areas of the country. I HAVE NOT READ A POST YET on here, or the other boards of a C7 leaving a person stranded or even having running problems...that's quite extraordinary, IMO....

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a former dealer zone rep for BMW, Porsche and Honda, I hate to see a post like this because they send everyone into paranoid conniptions like Orson Welles did in 1939. I don't doubt that it happened, or even that one will go up in flames next week. Stuff happens and it will be fixed. As said a million times, a new Vette is made of thousands of parts and some will not interact well. What you have to do is scour the websites for, is MULTIPLE occurrences of the same item, like a fuel pump going bad on BMW's or a coil failure on a Honda. Until then, they are one-offs that will happen with a product made by humans....

You can also ponder how good things are by things that don't happen - for example, from all the forum dealers and the NCM, hundreds of vettes are being driven home to all areas of the country. I HAVE NOT READ A POST YET on here, or the other boards of a C7 leaving a person stranded or even having running problems...that's quite extraordinary, IMO....
"Methinks thou dost protest too much" seems to fit here Glen. This report is what it is, nothing more nothing less. 1 car 1 report. I put it here so that if more people start to experience an issue with this sort of result we all will be on the look out for it. Nobody is crying fire in a crowded theater here, even if Shakespeare was in the house.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Saturday on a drive while taking off from stop light car jumped out of 1st and did so loudly. I was holding onto the shifter and it actually hurt my wrist a bit, sure startled me too.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no protesting, I understand...but all we have seen so far are problems I really don't think are indicative of really bad trends...my only point....
Not wishing to be overly argumentative here Glen, but trends all start with a "first car". We no doubt will find out more about this event, but we do know that there have been some question as to whether these e-diffs were serviced properly from the vendor early on. I see one of my roles here to bring these sorts of issues up for all to see. If they turn out to be a false alarm that's a good thing and we move along. Since this platform is so new we all need to be vigilant about any possible issues that might effect this car's new owners and their ownership experience.

·
Registered
680 Posts
With a fairly early VIN, automatic and coupe... non-Z51 driver here... I've had NO PROBLEMS... ONLY PRAISES!!! Just thought I'd throw this in :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hummm... So far 2 issues.

You said you found this on another forum...What were the other responses? Did others mention the same concerns?

·
18,670 Posts
No one else has reported all the wheels locking up like that one, but two others have reported a significant problem with the electronic limited slip differential (eLSD), so all three could be the same problem, though, obviously the lock up the most serious consequence.

Both other eLSD problems were solved with a replacement eLSD computer control module (though perhaps additonal parts also necessary). There have also been, coincidentally, two additional cases reported in which the diff was extrmely "tight", not acting properly, and in both cases draining and filling the diff with correct amount of fluid solved the problem.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I agree it could be a one off or a trend of other issues not so severe as this one. When I bought my ATS people including myself has severe engine stumbling problems at stop lights mine was bad enough I almost hit me head on the side window. At first GM said there was no issue but eventually it was the torque on some turbo bolts.

Point is being a new design we need to watch and document trends as they happen. It helps the customer and GM to quickly resolve these issues and deliver a better quality car.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow up: "The dealer said it's the differential......There have been several reports of C7's delivered without differential fluid. What was the cause of mine?
No idea yet. Btw locking all four wheels was CRAZY Scary!"

Perhaps the E-brake is involved here as well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Scary??? Its completely unacceptable! Although this more than likely is a one off since I haven't seen anything remotely like this anywhere else...It happened to someone which could have been anyone of us.

·
Registered
141 Posts
While I was talking with my dealer Iasked about the rear diff and he replied he hadn't been informed of any problems but ther is a bullitin to check thefluid level. He did tell me of some missimg hardware on the side vents and one flew off of a customers car.
Other than that there are no other problems that they have rncountered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts