Stingray Corvette Forum banner

A8 Trans New TSB dated March 2019

10K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  inspectorcallahan 
#1 ·
Took my 2016 Z51 in today for third time. First time they did not have the fluid and ordered it. 2nd time the fluid was mistakenly not ordered. Today I take it in at 8 am and just got a call that it was ready 1210 pm. I made the comment that it was fast and he indicated they did not need to drop the pan to flush it three times. When I dropped it off I asked them to replace the filter on the third flush. I asked them to look at page 26 of the service bulletin because my fear was that they did not see the specific instructions for the Corvette. He then stated the tech told him they had a new service bulletin that was dated March and the new process deleted the need to drop the pan.

Has anyone heard of this. Can anyone vouch for a new SB dated March 2019?

#2 ·
#5 · (Edited)
TSB #18 NA 355 (Version 1) was released January 17, 2019. Starting on page 25, Fluid exchange procedure for Corvettes and CT6......

Steps:
"3. Using care, remove the transmission oil pan and drain the transmission fluid"
"12. Repeat steps 2-4 and 9-12 for 2nd drain and fill" (2nd time the pan gets dropped)
"13. Repeat steps 2 and 3, clean the transmission oil pan and magnet......." (3rd time the pan gets dropped)

Version 1 dtd Jan 17, 2019:
View attachment TSB # 18-NA-355 Part 1.pdf
View attachment TSB # 18-NA-355 Part 2.pdf (this is the one with Corvette specific procedure, pg 25)

TSB #18 NA 355 was modified on March 1, 2019 (Version 2). There was no change to the actual process to conduct the fluid exchange from Version 1.

Version 2 the only change from Version 1 is in the box at the bottom of this:
Text Document Paper

Reactions: rdslon01
#6 ·
My car is currently at the dealership. Second time on the same issue. On the first attempt they advised that software was up dated on the transmission and problem was solved. I pulled out of the lot from the dealership and immediately turned around and went back to the dealership. The same problem existed and I was told they road tested it and it was fine. I took the service manager for a ride and he confirmed it was pretty bad. At this time, my car is back at the dealer 2nd time and dropped on Tuesday May 28, 2019. I advised them they get one more shot at this and then I contact the state and file a Lemon law case. Furthermore, I reported the issue online to NHTSA.

#7 ·
Sorry to read that. Just a suggestion, but typically one will get better service if you don't threaten with a Lemon Law case before you have the work attempted.

Reactions: inspectorcallahan
#9 ·
I picked it up last week after the 3 transmission flush and was told to drive it 200 miles. I put on 700 miles and it got worse. Dropped it off again and now the humming, shuddering and vibration is constant. Took service manager for a ride and he said he has to report it to GM to see what they want to do. This is the 3rd time and it is only getting worse. From what I am hearing, there are not too many A8 on the road with the mileage I have. At 38,000+ in 4 years, I appear to be well above the normal driving. With only 20k left on the warranty at a price of 5k for a transmission, I would rather know now rather than later.

#10 · (Edited)
Here's another link to the full TSB. I was unable to open the earlier one. Is this procedure only covered under the original factory warranty or is it covered by GM after the end of the warranty? (mine expired just at the end of my winter storage period, which in Chicago this year lasted until late April).--Bob

http://www.clubvettenc.org/TSB18-NA-355-1.pdf

#11 ·
Isn't the original factory warranty something like 5 years on the drivetrain?

#12 · (Edited)
It wasn't that easy getting them to do mine, even being under full bumper to bumper warranty at the time.

I think someone in another thread mentioned that GM would cover the labor (under the powertrain warranty) but wanted to charge for the fluid.

Either way, if you're having issues and plan to keep the car out or past warranty, I'd recommend getting the flush procedure performed. It's worked for me....so far.

#13 ·
I am on my 4th time to the dealership and they are trying to convince me it has to be the tires or rims. I explained that prior to going to them the first time, I replace four tires and the two rear rims because I thought it could be the tires or the rims. Now, I am waiting for GM to send a rep out to meet me at the dealership. They agree there is a problem and have not come up with a solution. So far, no one has even looked at the rear end or drive shaft. This is a typical case for the lemon law and whether they feel threatened or not is not the issue. I spent $112,800 on a car that rides like its on a humming shoulder. This is unacceptable.

#14 ·
Absolutely amazing! GM knows it a problem; but yes, the procedure calls for taking readings and seeking GM’s approval to do the flush prior to the dealer carrying the work out, or GM won’t compensate the dealer.

Still amazes me how they ‘appear’ as if this is the first time they’ve ever heard of this happening - with two TSB’s to date on this issue and countless owners that have had tranny’s replaced and flush(s) carried out....

Take your iPad in and show them the 13 pages of posts here...

Good luck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.