Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 8700 mile road trip and was rotating tires and found both back tires with steel showing on inside like there was something that rubbed the tread off. Checked both and found nothing that could have caused this abnormal tread wear. Anyone else experience this issue? Any ideas what could cause this wear?

20151024_115319.jpg 20151024_124758.jpg

·
18,667 Posts
Or more serious problems such as rear suspension. I have watched the tire process at the Plant many, many, many times, and nothing from those memories support that occuring there, but that doesn't mean that the inside of the tires were not damaged by the suplier that mounts the tires onto the rims, then ships the combo to the Plant.

Good luck in getting this figured out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
U142161 is my wife so we worked on this together. We discovered this issue while rotating the tires after a wonderful cross country trip of almost 9,000 miles. After putting the tires back on and getting the car back on the ground and looking at it from all angles, then making double sure there was no rubbing anywhere, I started paying attention to the innermost tread blocks. I pulled the car into the garage from the driveway and there are diagonal clean patterns on each tread block where the damage has occurred. You can see those in the pictures above. I'm 90+% sure now that the rear wheels are toed out at the front. Interestingly, both tires are worn almost identically so I am going to say it's not anything I did to the car while driving. On a long trip like we took, there were certainly some rough places but nothing that I would think could mess with the alignment like this. So, my guess is the factory alignment has been out since we got the car and this is the result. I also bought a tire warranty so I'm hoping this will be covered under warranty. Our dealer here in Houston has a great reputation so I'm feeling good about being treated fairly.

·
Administrator
16,225 Posts
Daveatlj that is most unusual cupping and wear. Definitely need to get it into your dealer. How many total miles do you have on your car and how old is it? Hopefully warranty will cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi jsvette. The car has about 14K pretty easy miles. We rotated the tires at about 5K immediately prior to our long road trip. After almost 9K more miles, we were rotating again when we found this. We have an appointment with the dealer's service dept at 9 AM Monday morning. I'm happy to say the underside of the car looks great so my guess is that it's another factory alignment issue similar to others that we have all read about.

·
18,667 Posts
Regarding my post above, now learning your car has 14,000 on it, agree with mybluevette that you have an alignment issue. At the same time, Michelin said that Z06 Pilot Super Sports were good for about 15,000 miles, less than that for their Cup 2's.

Can not tell, but do you have Cup 2's please. Even if you do, still thinking alignment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are the SS's and I'm extremely impressed (with the obvious exception of the insides of the rears) with how well they appear to be wearing. Still have most of the tread depth on the fronts and 8/10's of the rears. Yes, I'm pretty confident now that this is an alignment issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we took it to the dealer to have it checked out and the alignment is dead on! We are kind of in shock that it would cause that much damage in under 14000 miles. We'll be keeping the worst one and contacting Michelin. We also asked to have the alignment changed out of "track" alignment. So it's on us for a new set of tires. (At least they matched Costco's tire prices)

·
Registered
385 Posts
So we took it to the dealer to have it checked out and the alignment is dead on! We are kind of in shock that it would cause that much damage in under 14000 miles. We'll be keeping the worst one and contacting Michelin. We also asked to have the alignment changed out of "track" alignment. So it's on us for a new set of tires. (At least they matched Costco's tire prices)
The camber is set to negative by perhaps a full degree in my opinion. Difficult to imagine that both wheels would be off as they are independently adjustable. So a common component such as the cross composite leaf spring, may be the culprit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The camber is set to negative by perhaps a full degree in my opinion. Difficult to imagine that both wheels would be off as they are independently adjustable. So a common component such as the cross composite leaf spring, may be the culprit.
Or an issue with the machine or worker who set this initially resulting in both corners being consistently wrong.

The very first FWD car I owned was a 1989 Olds Toronado with the Trofeo package; I bought it to go with my RWD 1985 Monte Carlo SS because I was headed from the sunny south to IL where it snows a bit. I ordered it from my dealer in Biloxi MS and didn't drive it much for a few months in IL. The first snow of the season was maybe 2 inches and I thought I would see how a FWD car handled in the snow and at 25 MPH I could barely keep it on the road. Half way to the office I returned it to the garage and returned in my Monte Carlo which handled the snow with no problem. That night I took a closer look at the Olds and the inside corner of both rear tires was worn to the belts with just over 1,000 miles on them. I brought it to the local Olds dealer who sent it to the local tire shop for new tires and an alignment and the technician who drove it over said it handled worse than a worn out farm truck :) The tire service said both rear corners were aligned almost exactly the same but far from the correct setting.

·
18,667 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
That certainly doesn't look like "normal" wear. i have Z07 Super Cup tires and all 4 were completely evenly worn out (i know they looked bald when they were new) at 6500 miles (1 year of driving), but there was nothing left at all on the tires but not yet showing any steel. I was told that Super Cup tires were only good for 5K - 6K miles but I was hoping for 10K. Almost all city driving (LA) with no burnouts. i replaced them with Michelin Super Sports as i didn't want to spend $2,500.00 a year to replace the Super Cups, although I do prefer their look and ride.. I hope I can get 15K or more miles from these tires. JRC7Z06

·
18,667 Posts
I agree that that the OP's picture shows not normal wear and the cause needs to be investigated and fixed before another set is subject to the same issue.

Even with normal wear, the treadlife on a Michellin PSS is warranted only to 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
896 Posts
What do you mean when you say "rotating the tires"? You don't have to put the right tire on the left and so on on this car.
Changing the rotation way of this sort of tires can cause many problems (vibrations, bad wearing, etc.)... with other ones too

Yes, it's a problem of alignment and certainly a toe out problem, the wheels are running like this:\ /

·
Registered
249 Posts
What do you mean when you say "rotating the tires"? You don't have to put the right tire on the left and so on on this car.
Changing the rotation way of this sort of tires can cause many problems (vibrations, bad wearing, etc.)... with other ones too
Rotating the tires is actually recommended and will not harm them but many will say that even so, it isn't necessary especially given the short life of these tires.

·
Registered
896 Posts
If it's the case in USA I would like to know what is the benefit as the tires are generally asymetrical so, for example in this case, the wearing would have been exactly identical.

What is recommanded for the cars which have the same tires all around is to move regularly (approx. every 4-5000 miles) the front wheels and tires from front to rear and so on (but at the SAME sides)... This permit a balanced wearing.
But everybody knows that :redface:

Reactions: Mobius
1 - 20 of 23 Posts