Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is already warm enough in Houston to require AC on some days. In every car I've ever owned the air temp when only using vent (no AC) always seems to be warmer than the outside temp. On my Stingray, turning the temp to LO but on vent only (no compressor running) and the dang temperature of the vent air is as cold as AC. The AC system is telling me the comprssor is off, so either this car has the best ventilation system ever designed in a car or something else is going on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Not owning one yet I can only guess that setting the temp the computer will turn on and off the AC and or heat to keep it at the temp you selected. Now with you setting it to LO would seem like you are setting it to the lowest temp so the AC will kick on all the time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Red has it right. I live in South Florida and had the same issue. Through trial and error I found that if you set the temp to LO (even if A/C is off) the compressor is still on. If however you turn it to 61 or warmer, the compressor is off and you still get fresh air out of the vents.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I've noticed my AC indicator just to the right of the temp control sometimes comes on when I didn't expect it as I changed settings. I just punch the AC button off and that seems to be it. I haven't let it stay on long enough to kick out a bunch of cold air. I keep temp setting at LOW, fan off and use heated seats for any heat needed.

No hot or cold air coming in.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The weather has been so perfect here in Southwest Florida that I like to just drive around with the lid off and the windows down, but I have the same issue.... there is always air flowing out of the vents!
How do I just totally shut off the entire system?? The manual is no help here!:confused:

Thanks,
Mark D.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same issue. Set to fresh air, AC off, Low setting and blowing cold air conditioned air. If you turn it to 61 instead of low, the A/C doesn't kick on.
Kinda cruddy system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boomer,

When I change the temp or the fan setting the display shows the status (A/C status and fan speed). The status says A/C Off. My assumption was the A/C compressor is not running as the display says A/C Off and the light for the A/C on the climate control is also off. However, the temp of the vent air on the LO temp setting is very cold. I agree with the comments above, if you set the temp on 61 instead of LO the air temp is noticeably warmer. Likely the compressor is running when the temp is set to LO regardless of what the system status says.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Boomer,

When I change the temp or the fan setting the display shows the status (A/C status and fan speed). The status says A/C Off. My assumption was the A/C compressor is not running as the display says A/C Off and the light for the A/C on the climate control is also off. However, the temp of the vent air on the LO temp setting is very cold. I agree with the comments above, if you set the temp on 61 instead of LO the air temp is noticeably warmer. Likely the compressor is running when the temp is set to LO regardless of what the system status says.
Gee. Mine is not like that. When set at LOW and fan off, defrost off, auto off no cold air. Actually I haven't noticed the "display" telling me AC status and fan speed but maybe thats cause I usually just keep it in LO and off. I assume the "display" you refer to is the DIC or is it he infotainment screen? I have noticed I can get some warm air to circulate if I raise the temp setting with the fan off. So I guess that is slightly heated "fresh air" since there is no AC or fan going.

Page 8-5 of the Owners Manual says "If the fan is turned off the air conditioner will not run..." So if your AC is running with the fan off, maybe it should be checked.

This is interesting because a while back on a different thread, folks were complaining about HOT air coming in when they had the system off.

I am going to experiment with this issue on my next break-in drive when the wx clears. I haven't messed with the system enough to see what it really does. I don't even know what the "fresh air" setting is. I don't see such a setting. I just know when the system is set at LOW and fan off there is no cold or hot air.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I had the same issue. Set to fresh air, AC off, Low setting and blowing cold air conditioned air. If you turn it to 61 instead of low, the A/C doesn't kick on.
Kinda cruddy system.
It seems that if you have the fan on and temp set to LOW the AC would blow cold air. See page 8-5 of owners manual. Where is the "fresh air" setting/control you guys are talking about?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The weather has been so perfect here in Southwest Florida that I like to just drive around with the lid off and the windows down, but I have the same issue.... there is always air flowing out of the vents!
How do I just totally shut off the entire system?? The manual is no help here!:confused:

Thanks,
Mark D.
I don't believe it's possible to totally shut off the system with no air flowing. I believe it's a safety issue to continue to have fresh air flowing thru the cabin in case exhaust flumes enter the cabin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is also a vehicle setting for Auto Defog. See page 5-43 in manual. In the vehicle settings (gear icon), go to Vehicle > Auto Defog. Select off to prevent unintended defog/compressor.

I have the same behavior that the LO setting on temperature will turn AC on for whatever reason if the fan is on as well. I leave it at 61 as was suggested earlier.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't believe it's possible to totally shut off the system with no air flowing. I believe it's a safety issue to continue to have fresh air flowing thru the cabin in case exhaust flumes enter the cabin.
Thanks Red C7.... As I read your reply I said "ahhh.... finally someone answered my question!".
But then I read down further.... and Florida C7 states:
"If you turn the fan off (and a/c auto off) the system will not send any air anywhere. "

Okay.... Now I am confused :confused: ....who is correct?

Thanks,
Mark D.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Thanks Red C7.... As I read your reply I said "ahhh.... finally someone answered my question!".
But then I read down further.... and Florida C7 states:
"If you turn the fan off (and a/c auto off) the system will not send any air anywhere. "

Okay.... Now I am confused :confused: ....who is correct?

Thanks,
Mark D.
Sorry Mark didn't mean to add confusion here. With my statement a minimal amount of air still circulates maybe not enough to really feel it per se. What I was told it is safety feature having to do with maintaining a tiny positive cabin pressure to help keep exhaust gasses out. So Florida C7 could be right with his option to shut it off as much as possible.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry Mark didn't mean to add confusion here. With my statement a minimal amount of air still circulates maybe not enough to really feel it per se. What I was told it is safety feature having to do with maintaining a tiny positive cabin pressure to help keep exhaust gasses out. So Florida C7 could be right with his option to shut it off as much as possible.
All Okay Redc7.... I finally took the time to try all the possibilities myself yesterday and yes, I can get it to shut down completely, with just a hint of air flow through the vents.
Actually this is only an issue about 3 months out of the year down here in southern Florida....the rest of the year it is full A/C all the way!:cool:
Thanks again!
Mark D.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
All Okay Redc7.... I finally took the time to try all the possibilities myself yesterday and yes, I can get it to shut down completely, with just a hint of air flow through the vents.
Actually this is only an issue about 3 months out of the year down here in southern Florida....the rest of the year it is full A/C all the way!:cool:
Thanks again!
Mark D.
Cool! Yes that "hint" of airflow is what I meant when I was talking about not being able to completely turn the system off. Glad to hear you're all set!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts