Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first high performance sports car, so I have only recently been introduced to Ackerman's Angle. The "popping and Skipping" when turning the steering wheel give me a very uncomfortable feeling.
It seems to have gotten worse with cooler weather. I noticed it initially with hard turns during "parking lot maneuvers". Now that the weather has changed and its colder, I notice it at slow speeds with not so hard turns....ie, turning left or right from a stop sign. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've been told it is normal, but it still drives me nutz!!!!! Bringing it back to the dealer Tuesday just to make sure there isn't anything else.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing this?
of course...but tell us what the dealer says....respectfully, you are wasting a visit....it IS normal....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wait until you take it to a fun show, and put some tire finish on the tires, and then find that some gets on the tread like they do with the C4's - just like skating on ice for a few rotations. My first time, I thought the front end was falling off.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Feels like a Grand Cherokee with Quadratrac.lol
I had one too and I'm starting to twitch just thinkin' about that friggin' Quadratrac. LOL. Gawd, how I hated that vehicle. Granted, it was a followon to a Supra.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is my first high performance sports car, so I have only recently been introduced to Ackerman's Angle. The "popping and Skipping" when turning the steering wheel give me a very uncomfortable feeling.
It seems to have gotten worse with cooler weather. I noticed it initially with hard turns during "parking lot maneuvers". Now that the weather has changed and its colder, I notice it at slow speeds with not so hard turns....ie, turning left or right from a stop sign. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've been told it is normal, but it still drives me nutz!!!!! Bringing it back to the dealer Tuesday just to make sure there isn't anything else.
Look on page 14 of the Get To Know Your 2014 Corvette. Read the Tire Chatter section. Mine does it too. I am not worried. Also I am going out of my way to not make sharp turns. This by far the best vette have ever driven or owned!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: torchred14

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm adjusting to the phenomenon. Diff fluid has nothing to do with front tires, however, if your car was an early run, check diff fluid. Several cars were 2 oz low from factory. May be a recall.

Warm tires=less hop

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
The C7 has a 2 foot smaller turning radius as the C6 making the issue worse. When the tires are cold and you make a full lock turn pulling out of parking place or garage you can really feel it. My solution is under those conditions just turn about ½ turn less and it is only a minor problem. For what it's worth, put an explanation of the issues that can cause the problem on my web site with pics. It is interesting to see the pics of what Ackerman devised in the 1800’s to solve the problem with horse draw buggies! Reports Vette Info
The tires are also a big part of the problem, especially the stickier Z51’s. Several posts have said the problem goes away or is reduced with all-season tires. But if you want > 1 g lateral acceleration there are some things you have to deal with! Turning a ½ turn less with cold tires and making a K turn is small concession for me.

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
Had a chance to drive a friends Z51 and found a very noticeable difference in the clunk/bump on tight slow speed turns. It is extremely noticeable on the Z51 with mag suspension as compared to hardly noticeable to non-existent on the base Stingray. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts