Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me if the DIC in the C7 stingray gives a message when the engine is deactivated to 4 cylinders.? also in an automatic transmission will the deactivation happen in ECO mode, Touring Mode, Sport Mode when not in Manual shift? thanks, Eugene, new C7 owner.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Yes you will see a "V4" or "V8" in the center display. It automatically goes into V4 when it is not underload.

·
18,670 Posts
From GM:

"For Corvette Stingrays equipped with the six-speed automatic, Active Fuel Management is active in all drive modes until the driver engages the manual-shift mode using the steering-wheel paddles."

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I have a question about this. During the engine break-in period, shouldn't all eight cylinders always be active so all eight of them go through the break-in procedure? How do we ensure the engine does not go into V4 during the break-in period?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
From GM:

"For Corvette Stingrays equipped with the six-speed automatic, Active Fuel Management is active in all drive modes until the driver engages the manual-shift mode using the steering-wheel paddles."
Just found out mine arrived at the dealer!! Its an automatic. Does eco mode do things other than AFM? If not, why would I ever use eco mode with my automatic? Does eco mode restrict exhaust?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I have a question about this. During the engine break-in period, shouldn't all eight cylinders always be active so all eight of them go through the break-in procedure? How do we ensure the engine does not go into V4 during the break-in period?
You are overthinking it.......with sn A6, stay in manual if you desire to Kill AFM, but seriously, AFM is done so well on the Vette that you will find it to be a non issue in all respects. With a M7, just stay out of ECO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
elegant...why would the engineers want us to be in V4 while driving on a track? I know it is supposed to be a smooth "transition" fro V4 to V8 but on my auto, it is not! The dealer does not even check my engine to see if an issue, they just say it is AFM. Chevy customer service is no help either.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
elegant...why would the engineers want us to be in V4 while driving on a track? I know it is supposed to be a smooth "transition" fro V4 to V8 but on my auto, it is not! The dealer does not even check my engine to see if an issue, they just say it is AFM. Chevy customer service is no help either.
The motor will only go into V4 mode under certain, low load conditions. Just because you select track mode does not mean you are on a track, it's all based on the load placed on the motor. If you are on a track and experience this low load condition you should probably re-evaluate why you are there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Point almost well taken. Being in Track Mode, on a track, when one is not accelerating, thereby loading up the engine, it will be in V4. There is a perceivable "lag" or "light jerk" when shifting from V4 to V8. Your implication that one is ALWAYS under high load condition on a track is somewhat suprious.

·
Registered
718 Posts

What about using this for those with the Automatic that want to drive in auto (drive mode) and not have the AFM kicking in and out?

v8 ? Range Technology | AFM Solutions for GM Cars, Trucks & SUVs

Will using Range affect my warranty?
https://rangetechnology.zendesk.com/entries/61823045-Will-using-Range-affect-my-warranty-

"NO! That's the beauty (and the innovation) behind this technology.

It DOES NOT alter/reprogram/reflash ANYTHING in your vehicle's powertrain systems. It is ONLY active when plugged into the OBD II port and is its own standalone "mini powertrain controller". The module contains a powerful microprocessor and does all the "heavy lifting" to work in concert with the factory powertrain modules to alter the AFM operation.

It DOES NOT override any factory safety features (such as over temperature protection, low oil pressure protection, diagnostic fault protection, etc.) It retains all the factory protections and works within the factory system limits.

When it is time for service or warranty work, simply unplug it from the connector and it is totally removed from the vehicle to allow the dealer service tools to be used."

Also, if you use the Auto in Manual mode AFM only works in Eco mode.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hey Bob, are you going to pick up one of these Range AFM Disablers? Just wondering?

There may be issues with battery drain; ie must pull it if you don't drive for say 3-4 days...not a big deal.
A switch would be nice; asking if in Eco Mode it still stays in 8-cyl....and again can be pulled easily to use in Eco mode.

Yeah, if I decide to go to auto (Drive mode) I would like to have it not switching back and forth between 4/8 cylinders. This will take car of that.

I have an email sent to them to ask a couple of the above questions and will let ya know.
Won't be doing a "tune" type trick as that will void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
There may be issues with battery drain; ie must pull it if you don't drive for say 3-4 days...not a big deal.
A switch would be nice; asking if in Eco Mode it still stays in 8-cyl....and again can be pulled easily to use in Eco mode.

Yeah, if I decide to go to auto (Drive mode) I would like to have it not switching back and forth between 4/8 cylinders. This will take car of that.

I have an email sent to them to ask a couple of the above questions and will let ya know.
Won't be doing a "tune" type trick as that will void the warranty.
Yes, please do let me know what you find out. PM me with what you discover. I'm still kinda skeptical about it in any other situation other than running on flat ground from say, here and the grapevine on I-5.......

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
I guess I am missing what the issue is with AFM. With very few exceptions in the 7+k miles on RedHot, you do not notice the engine management changing between V8 and V4 and back to V8 except for the obvious "V8" or "V4" being light up in the main screen on the dash. The transition is virtually seamless if you have been in V4 and step on the gas- no lag, no judder, just smooth power. Never an issue under enthusiastic driving or on the track.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I guess I am missing what the issue is with AFM. With very few exceptions in the 7+k miles on RedHot, you do not notice the engine management changing between V8 and V4 and back to V8 except for the obvious "V8" or "V4" being light up in the main screen on the dash. The transition is virtually seamless if you have been in V4 and step on the gas- no lag, no judder, just smooth power. Never an issue under enthusiastic driving or on the track.

With the A8, it is lack of control. If I want AFM, I would like to use Eco mode and leave it at that.
I do not want the car switching back and forth between 8>4>8 when I don't want it. The Range AFM Disabler allows me to have that control.

I am buying a Z06 w/650HP. I want all 8 cyl. in use at all times unless I want it to be in 4 for those special times when it makes sense.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I think Jeff's point is why do you care how many cylinders are in use, if the only difference you can tell is which light comes up in the DIC?

I can understand for people who wish to force V8 for break-in, but, afterwards, I think Jeff has a great point. If we can't tell the difference in the feel of the car, why think twice about it?

My questions are meant to be serious and invite a thoughtful discussion; they are not meant to point something mean toward anyone.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I think Jeff's point is why do you care how many cylinders are in use, if the only difference you can tell is which light comes up in the DIC?

I can understand for people who wish to force V8 for break-in, but, afterwards, I think Jeff has a great point. If we can't tell the difference in the feel of the car, why think twice about it?

My questions are meant to be serious and invite a thoughtful discussion; they are not meant to point something mean toward anyone.
Up until this long trip I thought the AFM was imperceptible too in the C7, but after doing 3000 miles, I might buy one. For me there is a small "tug" you feel when it kicks in or out every now and then. Verified by running in manual for a while and noticing it gone.

Not a huge thing, and MUCH better than the 13 camaro, but it's there....

·
Registered
718 Posts

Simple...it is noticeable and I want 8 cylinders at all times:
There are discussions on some other Corvette Forum that provide more details.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts