Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for the depiction of the parts needed for the upgrade. Others have suggested replacing the front sway bars with the Z-51 sway bars to maintain proper 'balance'. That is what I chose to do. Let us know how your upgrade works out.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Sway bars should be replaced in pairs, just doing one WILL upset the balance of the car. Anecdotal evidence aside, unless you are well versed in suspension dynamics and are tuning the handling of your car you are best to leave that to the factory engineers and replace both the front and rear bars on a base model.

Reactions: GTB/ZR-1 and glen e

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Rear Sway Bar Installed on non Z51

During the winter I installed a rear sway bar on my base coupe. Prior to installing I noticed that when making a turn and getting on it the rear would feel slightly 'squirrley' I can now report that the sway bar has eliminated that issue. I would recommend adding a rear sway bar to non Z51's

Parts List here: http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...g-rear-sway-bar-base-c7-parts-list-photo.html

Before sway bar installation:
Sway Before.jpg

Photos of the sway bar installed: (all OEM parts)

R Sway Full.jpg R Sway Left.jpg R Sway Right.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
Oversteer will be your friend--or enemy... lol

Reactions: V1 VR

·
Registered
531 Posts
Replace front too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Replace the front also, bace hollow z51 solid.

Reactions: glen e

·
Registered
178 Posts
Any recommendations for the best source for GM OEM parts? Not looking to cut every nickel, but would like fair pricing and an honest, dependable vendor. Some of the top Google sites look rather shady and there seems to be no reviews, positive or negative.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Cultrag has a good reputation, and has a kit that contains the front and rear Z51 sways, bushing, and all parts needed to install.

Reactions: Muddbiker

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Ok, so I have new front and rear bars and I have a question.Should the suspension be loaded, unloaded or does it matter when I install these? I can either drive one end at a time on my ramps, or I can jack it up and put it on jack stands, or I can call Steve to see if I can use his lift and his expertise. Obviously Steve is my best example, but I don't like asking folks for favors unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You added a rear bar w/o upgrading your front bar, on a setup designed not to have a rear bar?

If you do any driving approaching the limits, um...hold on & make sure your car insurance is up-to-date!

Seriously,that could be dangerous. The car will have a tendency to want to come around in high-speed corners--especially if the throttle is dropped mid-turn. AH can only intervene so much...

Reactions: elegant and glen e

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You added a rear bar w/o upgrading your front bar, on a setup designed not to have a rear bar?

If you do any driving approaching the limits, um...hold on & make sure your car insurance is up-to-date!

Seriously,that could be dangerous. The car will have a tendency to want to come around in high-speed corners--especially if the throttle is dropped mid-turn. AH can only intervene so much...
I've seen this point of view on several other posts, I can now say from experience that the car is far more solid with a rear bar installed than with nothing in the rear. It feels much more controlled accelerating out of a turn. The Z51 front bar is only .079 larger in diameter than the base. I think it would be hard to detect any difference between having a 26 mm or 28 mm front bar. Whatever your point of view is on this issue I can say that based on driving the the car with and without a rear sway bar the car has more stability with the rear bar.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
879 Posts
This is really weird.
Just came in from the garage after putting the car on the lift in preparation to installing the new wheels.
While jacking up the rear, I was looking at the chassis and suspension mounts for the rear sway bar.
Came in to check out and see what's happening on the forum, and there's this post about sway bars!
Since I don't race anymore, and I drive the C7 in a manner befitting my age, I really don't need sway bars, by since it looks like they can be installed in about 20 minutes, did you happen to check out the price for the front sway bar?
Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
633 Posts
It feels much more controlled accelerating out of a turn.
It's one thing to be accelerating out of a turn, than to be in the middle of one @ high speed, as one would be on a track. Effectively what's been done is stiffening the rear to roll--which will limit how planted it is, related to the front with the bar. The car will behave differently @ the limit.

If you're never really in that scenario, then you should be fine.

Not looking to be a know-it-all here, just hoping to save someone from possible grief. Your cornering may vary ;-)

I didn't mean to rain on your parade. Enjoy your new mod :)

Reactions: frankieb

·
Registered
879 Posts
This is really weird.
Just came in from the garage after putting the car on the lift in preparation to installing the new wheels.
While jacking up the rear, I was looking at the chassis and suspension mounts for the rear sway bar.
Came in to check out and see what's happening on the forum, and there's this post about sway bars!
Since I don't race anymore, and I drive the C7 in a manner befitting my age, I really don't need sway bars, by since it looks like they can be installed in about 20 minutes, did you happen to check out the price for the front sway bar?
Thanks
Jack
Forget about a price on front sway bar. Am under car now and it has a front sway bar.
Since I'm just a lowley 1LT, I'm assuming all C7's must come with them.

·
Registered
633 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Ok, so I have new front and rear bars and I have a question.Should the suspension be loaded, unloaded or does it matter when I install these? I can either drive one end at a time on my ramps, or I can jack it up and put it on jack stands, or I can call Steve to see if I can use his lift and his expertise. Obviously Steve is my best example, but I don't like asking folks for favors unless absolutely necessary.
I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago, and everyone said unload the suspension, and that removing the front wheels makes accessing the end-links a lot easier.

Forget about a price on front sway bar. Am under car now and it has a front sway bar.
Since I'm just a lowley 1LT, I'm assuming all C7's must come with them.
Yes, they do, but the Z51 comes with a larger diameter bar than the base model. Most think it's better to replace the front with one that is part of a matched set. Leaving the smaller front bar on will result in less understeer / more oversteer compared to doing a matched set.

Reactions: greggshere
1 - 20 of 48 Posts