Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to take back some words relative to me not having any problems with the Range AFM Disabler. As of late, I have been having a few CEL's thrown, and a start off in fourth gear (D4). Codes indicate loss of communications with everything, engine module, trans module, if its got a module, I lost comms. Now this happens about once every 20 or so start-ups. The quick fix is turn off engine, restart engine, everything is normal. CEL will stay on for a few more start ups, then goes away.

Reached out to Range with that scenario, this is their response:

Thank you for contacting us. Looking back on your customer/order record, the Disabler you currently are using with your 2016 Z06 is not 100% compatible.

The AFM settings change from year to year, sometimes subtly but between some specific models, the AFM settings are changed dramatically (we have seen this most often with Camaros and Corvettes).

The good news is that the module will not harm your vehicle and the generic "loss of communication" codes/DTCs that were seen will ALWAYS clear (they are not permanent) with a handheld scanner or even with the Disabler module itself by using a "hot plug".
More information and instructions on the "hot plug" here: https://rangetechnology.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204980535-Check-Engine-Lights

The solution to this incompatibility of the module with your current vehicle is to have Range update the firmware. We will do this for FREE, simply send the unit in to Range.

The link provided above also has a link embedded for updating modules. Please follow the instructions and enclose return postage with your Disabler.

You will be contacted again once the module has been return shipped to you.
Thanks for your patience.

Caitie
Range Technology | AFM Solutions for GM Cars, Trucks & SUVs

At this time, I am waiting the return, a one day turn around, should have it in a day or two. I do like the Range, I like the no 4 cylinder, I like the no fart pipe sound with open NPP all the time (I rarely use the manual mode to shift), and I like not having that split second hesitation between 4/8 modes.

I'll report back once received and tested.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
That's what you get for driving an automatic, Norm! ;)

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
No problems with mine. It was listed on Amazon as a "C7 Corvette Stingray/Z06 Disabler." Glad to hear they're going to make it right.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Let this be a lesson to everyone who uses anything that either programs or goes in line to change the operating characteristics of the vehicle. Verify before installing. Most software is fool proof but the inline products are not.

Always verify..

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to clarify, for me, this is not a lesson to be learned.

I purchased directly from Range over two years ago with use on the '14 Stingray, and not one lick of trouble I might add. I have since traded the '14 in on the '16 Z, using the same Range disabler, so there is where my problem lies, not compatible with the '16 Z. With their offer to upgrade free, I believe this will work out OK.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Norm, hope you have a quick turnaround and get back to wheeling your C7 masterpiece to all those eat-em-up joints.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to know they will update. I am thinking I might need the AFM disabled for the 2017 I am looking at buying.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know they will update. I am thinking I might need the AFM disabled for the 2017 I am looking at buying.
Welcome aboard! I'd suggest reviewing the owners manual for the 2017, the disabler may not even be needed. Tried to find the 2017 OM on line in pdf form, I'm assuming not available yet.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
There may be another option for you. What I do is I always leave the car in paddle shift "M"-mode. I like being in control of when to shift up and down, and choosing my RPMs. The fact that it disables V4 (which I definitely want disabled) is just another bonus for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've just started having the same problem with mine. Bought it about 3 months ago, new, for the 2016 Z06, and it's been fine. About a week or so ago I started getting the CEL and stuck in 4th gear on start-up.

The fist time I had the problem the range device was not plugged in, but the error cleared after 5 starts. Since then it's been fine without the device plugged in, and when plugged in I get the problem again, every few starts. My problem might be a combination of a dodgy battery and the range unit, but I will speak to Range to see if they can upgrade my firmware.

If I start the engine first, then plug the range unit in, it's fine.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I do not buy the answers that vendor is giving

1. 2 plus years of C7 Z06 and just now problems finally getting pinned down as their device causing problems where some of us posted that this device is adding network traffic
on car's network that can effect other controllers on that network

2. If your on the internet, downloading data, would you want some other device sucking up data bandwidth ?

3. Have they no Q/A testlab to weed out bugs like this ?

4. Any time bogus errors or controller issues the first thing is to find out what device is chattering on the network causing other controllers to not send or exchange important data
and can cause controllers to be shut out of network as the BCM as the host believes a controller is not responding in time due to some 3rd party device hogging the data bandwith

5. As I show below, reading the PCM's for both a 2014 Stingray and a 2015 Z06 we see they

A, Use the same model PCM
B. The on/off switch location is in the exact same memory offset location
C. How and when AFM functions is the same for both models.
D. anyone knows AFM is the SAME for other then the supercharger and few other parts are the same parts.

6. When you come down to it, all their device has to do is poke to a memory address to toggle decimal 1 ( ON) 00000001 to a 0 (OFF) 00000000 (binary) on each startup
Instead for whatever their reasoning is having their device active all the time adds to ill effects to networks and controllers causing CELs and bogus DTCs and lost data to controllers

As it is the clean/safe way to do this via a PCM tune where choices could be made and then nothing having to be plugged into the car's ADLC

1. toggle AFM on/off bit to OFF else:
2. lower the RPM range AFM could be ON
3. raise the MPH when AFM is commanded ON ( such as 60 MPH cruise on only)
4. changing both RPM and MPH parameters

Seeing that their device was designed to be pulling power and keeping other controllers up 24/7 I knew little effort was put in this product that instead that money would be a good
amount down in a clean PCM custom tune

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Way too technical for me, I'm out of your league J.R. I'm experiencing some issues that they say can be fixed, so I'll take their word for it and give them a shot until such time I'm experiencing issues again. Hopefully I won't have any issues, but thanks for your opinion and expertise.

·
18,661 Posts
Sorry to hear that at least two of you are having issues with the AFM disabler. Hopefully all will be taken care of within a couple of days, and this is just a 2016 to AFM Disabler software "interplay" that will be readily fixed.

In the interim, and perhaps for most even permanently, there is always rdslon01's procedure for all automatics.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the post Norm. I have had the same problem with my 2016 Z51. When I removed or turned off the AFM unit all is well. I will be contacting Range asap! I had posted earlier thinking I had A8 problems. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not buy the answers that vendor is giving

1. 2 plus years of C7 Z06 and just now problems finally getting pinned down as their device causing problems where some of us posted that this device is adding network traffic
on car's network that can effect other controllers on that network

2. If your on the internet, downloading data, would you want some other device sucking up data bandwidth ?

3. Have they no Q/A testlab to weed out bugs like this ?

4. Any time bogus errors or controller issues the first thing is to find out what device is chattering on the network causing other controllers to not send or exchange important data
and can cause controllers to be shut out of network as the BCM as the host believes a controller is not responding in time due to some 3rd party device hogging the data bandwith

5. As I show below, reading the PCM's for both a 2014 Stingray and a 2015 Z06 we see they

A, Use the same model PCM
B. The on/off switch location is in the exact same memory offset location
C. How and when AFM functions is the same for both models.
D. anyone knows AFM is the SAME for other then the supercharger and few other parts are the same parts.

6. When you come down to it, all their device has to do is poke to a memory address to toggle decimal 1 ( ON) 00000001 to a 0 (OFF) 00000000 (binary) on each startup
Instead for whatever their reasoning is having their device active all the time adds to ill effects to networks and controllers causing CELs and bogus DTCs and lost data to controllers

As it is the clean/safe way to do this via a PCM tune where choices could be made and then nothing having to be plugged into the car's ADLC

1. toggle AFM on/off bit to OFF else:
2. lower the RPM range AFM could be ON
3. raise the MPH when AFM is commanded ON ( such as 60 MPH cruise on only)
4. changing both RPM and MPH parameters

Seeing that their device was designed to be pulling power and keeping other controllers up 24/7 I knew little effort was put in this product that instead that money would be a good
amount down in a clean PCM custom tune
Good info, but I guess on newer cars we don't want to do the tune and affect warranty. Is there a way to trick it to think its in M mode, but still have the auto do the shifting?

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Norm, did you ever get your situation squared away? I hope everybody that is experiencing the same situation also gets theirs squared away and back to wheeling their C7 masterpiece's around.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good info, but I guess on newer cars we don't want to do the tune and affect warranty. Is there a way to trick it to think its in M mode, but still have the auto do the shifting?
If something broke with engine and owner left that AFM device plugged in and repair tech or GM sees that also would void the engine warranty
That is the marketing game with that AFM device is if engine is damaged with their device in, yank it before going to dealer and stick GM for warranty repairs :(

Problem is if that is what C7 owner did and engine had been run for some time without being in 4 cylinder mode a smart tech could tell something had turned it off and GM still voids the warranty
As it is whatever that device does might leave some data tracks that GM could see in one of the car's controllers and if so GM might void not just engine warranty but the whole car ? ?

So really how seldom is engine warranty used for a Corvette ?
pretty slim for the life of warranty period, so forget warranty, do the clean tune and enjoy the car on how the owners want the car to function

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It would seem pretty arbitrary to void an engine warranty for use of an AFM disabler on a A6 or A8 when the M7 car comes from the factory with AFM disabled in tour, sport and track.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
And when you can disable it on an Auto C7 just by using the paddle shifters.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts