Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't recall reading about this previously ... if AFM is activated during break in period, does it interfere with a proper break in?

Is it recommended to stay in sport/track mode (M7) for the first 1500-2k miles or so in order to disable the AFM during break in.

another break in question ... When I get the car in about 3-4 weeks, I have 2-3 long highway trips planned... (300km or so each way)... is that ok? Or should I take the side roads and go up/down through the RPM range?

thanks

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Disable AFM during break-in by either:

a) if your have the M7 transmission, stay out of Eco mode, or

b) if you have an automatic transmission, stay in "M" mode and use the paddle shifters.

Otherwise, your break-in will include the option of going into V4 with AFM.

Choose as you wish, but I plan on doing b).

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Is it recommended to stay in sport/track mode (M7) for the first 1500-2k miles or so in order to disable the AFM during break in.
With the M7, AFM will only activate when you are in the ECO mode.

Reactions: PoconoG and elegant

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I think it would be prudent to not operate in v4 mode during the break in, at least not the initial 500 miles. The deactivated cylinders are just compressing and expanding exhaust gas trapped in the cylinder, so they are not seeing the same heat loads or pressures as the active cylinders. In the meantime, the active cylinders are working harder than they would have in v8 mode.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think it would be prudent to not operate in v4 mode during the break in, at least not the initial 500 miles. The deactivated cylinders are just compressing and expanding exhaust gas trapped in the cylinder, so they are not seeing the same heat loads or pressures as the active cylinders. In the meantime, the active cylinders are working harder than they would have in v8 mode.
The miniscule improvement in mileage you may get from AFM is simply not worth the trouble, which is why I never use it.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
I don't recall reading about this previously ... if AFM is activated during break in period, does it interfere with a proper break in?

another break in question ... When I get the car in about 3-4 weeks, I have 2-3 long highway trips planned... (300km or so each way)... is that ok? Or should I take the side roads and go up/down through the RPM range?

thanks
If you use the search function you will find a full range of opinions on the "best" way to break-in your car, however, this is what GM recommends. There is no mention of disabling AFM nor concern over treating it differently than normal. The length of your trips should not be any issue. I drove RedHot back from Bowling Green to Las Vegas, 1880 miles, over a three day period following the recommended guidelines.
Breakin Guide_1.jpg Breakin Guide_2.jpg

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
I think it would be prudent to not operate in v4 mode during the break in, at least not the initial 500 miles. The deactivated cylinders are just compressing and expanding exhaust gas trapped in the cylinder, so they are not seeing the same heat loads or pressures as the active cylinders.
And this is exactly why I will strictly use paddle shifters 100% of the time during break-in. Of course, to each their own.

Reactions: Ret9580

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
C7AW, Had no problem with my C7 during break in period, did exactly what Jeff aka jsvette posted.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I can't believe how many take this as something they need to worry about...I just read the manual that Jeff posted when I took delivery and completed it. Have not thought about it since, I am not going to Daytona or the track, or trying to make sure my engine is pristine at 300, 000 miles.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
As jsvette said, search the forum for all the different ways to break in your vette. There are so many different schools of thought on the correct way to do it.
I tried to gentle to my engine, but this car is just too much fun. I let it go above 4000 rpm more then a few times. Did lots of hard down shifts to pressurize the top of the piston rings also. I've only had a tea spoon of oil come out of my catch can after 3500 k's. I was very gentle to my brakes.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
I can't believe how many take this as something they need to worry about...I just read the manual that Jeff posted when I took delivery and completed it. Have not thought about it since, I am not going to Daytona or the track, or trying to make sure my engine is pristine at 300, 000 miles.
Well, you see, that is why I will keep AFM off during break-in. I would like a pristine engine at very high mileage, and am willing to click around for 500 miles to try to do my best to ensure that.

Cheap, easy, simple insurance...

Reactions: Milliwatt Rob

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
As jsvette said, search the forum for all the different ways to break in your vette. There are so many different schools of thought on the correct way to do it.
I tried to gentle to my engine, but this car is just too much fun. I let it go above 4000 rpm more then a few times. Did lots of hard down shifts to pressurize the top of the piston rings also. I've only had a tea spoon of oil come out of my catch can after 3500 k's. I was very gentle to my brakes.
Paul, using engine breaking going down mountains around here is on the menu for the break-in, along with many, many, many runs up to 4000 RPMs, in keeping with what is instructed in the owner's manual (varying the RPMs, but not going over 4000).

I also note that those who take it easy on their car during break-in are NOT doing what the owner's manual states about varying the speeds/RPMs. You can't take it easy and have wide variation.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
This sounds like one of those Glen "don't over think it" issues. Since GM is silent on AFM during break-in it obviously is not an issue. How about this speculation: The engine won't properly break-in if AFM is not utilized during the break-in period.

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Go with what owner's manual says and you can't go wrong.
The owner's manual is silent on the topic. Therefore, what I will do is 100% in line with the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Not sure what could go wrong in letting an 8 cylinder engine run on all eight cylinders during its break in.

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
10,543 Posts
Why would you deviate from the manufactures guidance? I think some Corvette owner's over think these issues. If something goes wrong good luck with your claim.
Okay, I always try to be nice, but, seriously, did you even read all the posts above or not? If so, did you understand what you read?

Reactions: cayennes
1 - 20 of 57 Posts