Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed or know of a good after market blind-spot detector? The C7's design (as cool as it looks) does no justice in seeing who's tailing you in the other lane. I have my eye on this Blind Spot Mirror from Amazon and wonder if it's a reasonably inexpensive alternative?

·
Administrator
16,096 Posts
SeeMy7 have you tried adjusting your side mirrors out so that you do not see any of your Stingray? I have found with mine that I have almost no blind spot between what I see in the center mirror and the side mirrors with them adjusted out. You see the car(s) coming up in the center mirror and then as soon as they are almost out of the center mirror field they appear in the respective right or left hand mirror and remain their until the front of their car is visible in my periphery vision.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Using blind spot mirrors is personal preference. I drive with my mirrors turned out as jsvette mentioned. This set up takes some getting use to if you typically adjust your mirrors to see the side of your car - a bit disorienting at first. I installed a 2 inch diameter glass blind spot mirror (from Amazon) on the lower inside corner of both C7 mirrors. This allowed me to see the side of the C7 for reference and filled in a slight blind spot as a car directly behind me moved to either side. However, after a week of driving I removed them. Even at only 2 inch in diameter, they took up a lot of real estate on the small C7 mirrors and I felt they actually diminished my view (or understanding) of what was happening on either side of me. So, for me, no blind spot mirrors.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would want to see their own car in their side mirrors (even though the C7 is beautiful and demands attention/should be looked at, please don't do it while driving :D ). I don't know about the C7, but on my old car, there is zero "blind spot". Actually, there is overlap such that if a motorcycle is just in the right spot, I can see them in BOTH the side and rearview mirror. And by slightly leaning my head an inch, then I can see just a sliver of paint on the side of my car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great replies and very helpful. My way of adjusting the mirrors is to have someone walk around the car while parked. As they walk forward and leave the rear mirror, the side mirror should be adjusted to immediately pick them up. As they leave the side mirror, you should again pick them up by looking out the side window. My problem is having the passenger rear pillar mostly block out any outward view - very annoying! I recently rode in a '13 RAV4 with the blind spot detection and it was marvelous! Seeing a blinking warning light in the side mirror telling you there's a vehicle in the blind spot is a definite plus. Again, does anybody have knowledge of an after-market blind spot detector?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think the round orbital mirrors are not a bad choice, just another tool. It's nice to have a quick glance and know for sure, plus they're great at making sure you're not going to curb rash when parallel parking or what have you. Helps you see parking spot lines as well, yes I know the mirrors can auto tilt down when in reverse but this helps even more. It's all a personal preference. I've become use to them so I use them.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Again, does anybody have knowledge of an after-market blind spot detector?
I am sorry. I do not know of any. Have you considered reaching out to some of the vendors on this forum to see if they have suggestions?

·
Registered
62 Posts
It would be a interesting study a year+ from now to know how many C7 accidents were caused by blind spots.

My wife is a bit intimidated to drive our new car due to this and I can't say I don't blame her.

Would be cool if we could somehow integrate a detection system into the side skirts that would notify the driver of objects on the side of the car via green/red blinking light.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe reading text and watching a video will help with proper mirror adjustment.I found a very well done video.If drivers aren't use to using mirrors your Confidence in using them sitting in your baby will take some practice.Probably would be a future option but in the mean time,here some really good tips.Ask a friend to help too.Make believe he is driving a 7? It's all about the mirrors.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Maybe reading text and watching a video will help with proper mirror adjustment.I found a very well done video.If drivers aren't use to using mirrors your Confidence in using them sitting in your baby will take some practice.Probably would be a future option but in the mean time,here some really good tips.Ask a friend to help too.Make believe he is driving a 7? It's all about the mirrors.
That is a great video you linked, STVETTE! It's too bad this information isn't given in the practice books for teenagers when they get their learner's permits. All I have seen before in those is the bad advice of setting your side view mirrors to look at your own car, and then to turn around and look backwards as you make lane changes going forward. Ridiculous...

·
Registered
57 Posts
^^^Yes i remember,turn head,no mirror! What happens to the steering wheel with a rookie driver.Now try to get your commercial driver license? It's all mirror.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm glad you guys already had this thread going! The graphic posted by glen is awesome, and I'll watch the video again when we get our Vette.

We went to Phoenix and rented a C7 for a weekend for my hubby's birthday last month, and I'll admittedly say I totally cut someone off on the freeway by missing them in that huge blind spot on the passenger side. My husband leans WAY forward and looks all around when he changes lanes always, which I think is silly. On my own car at home, I use mirrors entirely, and look what happened. The blind spot is SO much bigger in this car than my other ones. I was thinking of getting those little blind spot mirrors as an add-on, but also know the mirrors already aren't big so I thought it could be cumbersome. Needless to say, I'm hyper-sensitive about that big no-view area in the pax side now so there won't ever be a repeat of a pissed off person honking at me on the freeway. :D

I will probably just adjust the mirrors outward as indicated above, but zimm, could you post a pic of your mirror with the blind spot add on that you're happy with? And Al, did you take any pics when you had yours on?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Has anyone installed or know of a good after market blind-spot detector? The C7's design (as cool as it looks) does no justice in seeing who's tailing you in the other lane. I have my eye on this Blind Spot Mirror from Amazon and wonder if it's a reasonably inexpensive alternative?
I find this smaller mirror works fine and uses less of the main mirror. I also set my mirrors as suggested years ago in a SAE tech paper, i.e. the mirror set so you don’t see your car. However that requires a wide view in the center rear view mirror and the C7 view is restricted. This is my 4th Vette, since my ’87. Never used a blind spot mirror before but feel it is a big help with the C7. The blind spot mirror covers a wider area and shows the rear of the Vette as well. Have details on my web site: netwelding.com/reports_vette_info.htm Includes pics sitting in my seat with two cars next to it and you can see the benefit. To each his own but I find it very useful.
Left_Side_Mirror.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
I find this smaller mirror works fine and uses less of the main mirror. I also set my mirrors as suggested years ago in a SAE tech paper, i.e. the mirror set so you don’t see your car. However that requires a wide view in the center rear view mirror and the C7 view is restricted. This is my 4th Vette, since my ’87. Never used a blind spot mirror before but feel it is a big help with the C7. The blind spot mirror covers a wider area and shows the rear of the Vette as well. Have details on my web site: netwelding.com/reports_vette_info.htm Includes pics sitting in my seat with two cars next to it and you can see the benefit. To each his own but I find it very useful.
View attachment 5400
That's what I have done in my previous verts, because of the same blind spot issue when the top is up. BUT, I'm waiting for an owner to tell me how to activate the backup camera "on demand". I'm thinking that with overtaking speed advantage and the camera, a quick glance to the center console ala the video in this thread, would address the issue in a far cooler way.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
979 Posts
I presume you have tried the simple approach of Googling "After Market Blind Spot Detector ". Doing so I see there are several advertised and discussed. What I didn't see -- and what you are presumably looking for-- are reviews from independent sources. I am familiar with those factory installed on BMWs, which seem to work well, but that is the limit of my experience with them. I am in the camp of setting my outside mirrors a bit wide so that when a car leaves the inside rear view mirror it immediately shows up in the outside one. --Bob

·
Registered
60 Posts
ya my work truck TUNDRA has them ,blind spot monitor, IT is great, Wish my vette had it, I almost hit a car the other day switching lanes I didn't see it the first time.....I think I did see a aftermarket system on a site but it looked like you would have to put a hole in door panel....

·
Super Moderator
3,360 Posts
Could be worse... ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1395596807.130625.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 20 of 66 Posts