Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Okay 2015 should have Blind spot warning and heated steering wheel.... :cool:

·
18,667 Posts
Even after checking my mirrors, always turn my head. For fun, drove long haul for FedEx, sleeper and double boxes for a few years, (weekends and some vacations). No rear view nor any front fender mirrors. Thankfully, never came even close to hitting anything. Always adjusted my mirrors before I started, always turned my head even if I was "sure" nothing was there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was struggling w the blind spots but after refining my mirror positions based on this discussion thread I've been much more comfortable and confident.

Still if I decide to suddenly change lanes and haven't been consistently watching my mirrors I will turn my head in both directions just to be sure.

MrG 69
Enjoying every mile in my CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, Nav, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum App **

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Per Jeff's post above- from car and driver:
OK. So I wanted to try this out and get familiar with the different way things would appear before the Vette days are here.

I adjusted my mirrors on my Cruze to be like this.

However, if you don't have auto-tilting mirrors, like the C7 apparently has, how the heck do you see the curb you're parking next to? I now realize this is why mirrors are normally in the 'traditional - you can see the side of your car' position.

Is there some special tip I missed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
For what it is worth you can opt to have one or both tilt when in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
33 Posts
Set your mirrors properly so you don't see the sides of your car and you don't have any blind spots. Still doesn't replace a shoulder check for what you can see, limited or not.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
However, if you don't have auto-tilting mirrors, like the C7 apparently has, how the heck do you see the curb you're parking next to? I now realize this is why mirrors are normally in the 'traditional - you can see the side of your car' position.

Is there some special tip I missed?

You can use the mirror memory settings for this (if equipped) - one setting for driving and another setting for parking.

I've never done this myself, but the theory seems solid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Lotus Elise and this problem really bothered me when I first got it (almost 10 years ago). If you turn your head to check behind you in that car, it is very hard not to turn the car too! I found out about this company, Multivex. They made replacement mirrors with kind of an "S" curve to them. You glue them to the factory mirrors with silicone sealant. They work great and eliminate the blind spots without having to resort to ugly round lenses which obscure some of your normal field of view. They are made to specifically fit your car. I think they may no longer be in business...which is too bad. Of course, with all the most modern electronics on the new Stingray, it should have blind spot detection too!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Maybe reading text and watching a video will help with proper mirror adjustment.I found a very well done video.If drivers aren't use to using mirrors your Confidence in using them sitting in your baby will take some practice.Probably would be a future option but in the mean time,here some really good tips.Ask a friend to help too.Make believe he is driving a 7? It's all about the mirrors.
STVETTE....
Thank you for this video! I followed the instructions exactly, and yes.... a little tough getting used to at first but WOW... what a great difference and improvement!! It is awesome how this really works.:) Been about a month now and am totally used to it.
I set my XTS Cadillac mirrors the exact same way and it DOES have the blind spot detection system. Perfect combo!
I have been driving for 46 years now and just learned this method, Man, were we ever taught wrong.

Everyone should do this.... it is totally GREAT!!:cool:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This video and directions saved me the other day when I was cruising in the vette from moving into the right lane where there was a car in what would have been my normal blind spot. I have adjusted all my cars mirrors to be in this outward position. Now I just need to keep the wife from moving them back! At least on the vette they go back to my memory setting!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I concur. This video was very informative. Too bad so many have been taught incorrectly.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wondered how affective it would be if the sensors were imbedded in the side skirts as a aftermarket product. Guess it would probably be to low and look like crap anyways. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
329 Posts
Any more New ideas or products on this Blind Spot problem?

·
Administrator
16,097 Posts
Any more New ideas or products on this Blind Spot problem?
If you set you mirrors (as others have described) so they are just beyond where you can see any of your Stingray, combined with the center mirror, you should be able to virtually eliminate any blind spots. However for this to be effective, you must continually scan your 3 mirrors. By doing this you will see any car approaching from behind you on either side as well as of course directly behind you. Once you see a car approaching you can easily track it using the respective side mirror until that car comes into your peripheral side vision. You can confirm you have the correct mirror settings by watching cars approaching you from behind on an expressway and follow it from the center mirror (when they are a couple of cars back) and then entering the respective side mirror and then finally your peripheral side vision. If you don't continue to check your rear view mirror then it is certainly possible for you to miss a car coming along side.

Reactions: regguy1 and CUSA

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Even my CX9 has blind spot monitoring. According to the manual, it uses "radar waves" vs embedded sensors. (i.e. no external dimples, or monitors). It works very well... sometimes too well... to the point that when i'm driving a different car and i lazily check the side mirror, if there is no light then i change lanes, or turn... i have to remember that not every car has this feature! With that being said, a car with the C7'S blind spots, not to mention price tag, it sure would be nice to have this feature incorporated. And while they are at it, how about a proximity alert for forward and rear bumpers!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I was taught many years ago to adjust each mirror so it's just past where you can see your car's side, basically exactly as the video describes and I don't have any blind spots driving the Corvette.

Reactions: TNSQUIRE

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Even my CX9 has blind spot monitoring. According to the manual, it uses "radar waves" vs embedded sensors. (i.e. no external dimples, or monitors). It works very well... sometimes too well... to the point that when i'm driving a different car and i lazily check the side mirror, if there is no light then i change lanes, or turn... i have to remember that not every car has this feature! With that being said, a car with the C7'S blind spots, not to mention price tag, it sure would be nice to have this feature incorporated. And while they are at it, how about a proximity alert for forward and rear bumpers!
Just took a 1000 mile trip with my wife’s new BMW 5X SUV with all those features and more! It has blind spot sensors and small triangles on the inside mirror cases that light when someone is in a blind spot. It has front and rear sensors and when I had to pull in quickly behind a large truck the front collision red light came on the dash. It did not break for me as I was on the brakes already-but it would have! The thing I like the most is the sensors that slightly vibrate the steering wheel when I stay on a divided highway or edge of road painted line!
For the C7 with its narrow rear view and I would guess any convertible, that old “set your mirrors to see far away, by leaning your head on the glass etc.” is only effective if you can watch a car coming up in the center rear view mirror first. Harder to do with the narrow view in the C7. I never used an added blind spot mirror in my ’87, 93 or ’08 but for C7 added them. I found it interesting that the last two cars I rented had them built in! Works for me. And yes I have my mirrors set per the "book" but still like these small mirrors providing a wide view including the edge of the Vette.
Left_Side_Mirror.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 2015 Coupe from Kerbeck in Atlantic City (phenomenal experience which I'll discuss in a later post). Drove it 1300 miles back home to SW Florida. Fiddled with the driver side mirror a great deal, but couldn't get rid of a small blind spot just next to and slightly to the rear of the left side of the car. Installed a Blind Spot Mirror I got at AutoZone, Pilot Automotive, part number MI-003, $2.49. It's convex and about 1 inch high by 2 inches wide mounted on an angled plastic base. There's a piece of double sticky foam on the back to stick it to the mirror. The installation picture on the hang card shows the mirror near the outer portion of the mirror. I preferred mine on the lower inside corner. This fixes the blind spot.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts