Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Administrator
16,097 Posts
Welcome to our forum RodinaSR and thanks for posting your suggestion. If you do a search on our forum you will find extensive discussions about the potential blind spot(s) and solutions.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Maybe reading text and watching a video will help with proper mirror adjustment.I found a very well done video.If drivers aren't use to using mirrors your Confidence in using them sitting in your baby will take some practice.Probably would be a future option but in the mean time,here some really good tips.Ask a friend to help too.Make believe he is driving a 7? It's all about the mirrors.
Really great information in setting your side mirrors to eliminate blind spots.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Once again, jsvette is wise beyond his years, and he's very very old! I find NO blind spot when the mirrors are turned out to the point that you just cannot see your quarter panel in them. Before an overtaking cars tail is out of mirror view, its nose can be seen peripherally on either side. And yes,,,,,, I did use spell check (3 times) on that big word.]SeeMy7 have you tried adjusting your side mirrors out so that you do not see any of your Stingray? I have found with mine that I have almost no blind spot between what I see in the center mirror and the side mirrors with them adjusted out. You see the car(s) coming up in the center mirror and then as soon as they are almost out of the center mirror field they appear in the respective right or left hand mirror and remain their until the front of their car is visible in my periphery vision.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have absolutely no blind spots. As soon as the car disappears from the rear view mirror it's visible in the side mirror. The key is adjustment. Place your cheek against the side glass and adjust the mirror so you can JUST see the side of the car.
Alan

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have absolutely no blind spots. As soon as the car disappears from the rear view mirror it's visible in the side mirror. The key is adjustment. Place your cheek against the side glass and adjust the mirror so you can JUST see the side of the car.
Alan
This is also how I set the mirrors on all of my cars. Also move your head to the center of the car when setting up the right side mirror.

This does take a bit of getting used to but is a much safer way to drive. In my opinion.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Just picked up a 2015 Coupe from Kerbeck in Atlantic City (phenomenal experience which I'll discuss in a later post). Drove it 1300 miles back home to SW Florida. Fiddled with the driver side mirror a great deal, but couldn't get rid of a small blind spot just next to and slightly to the rear of the left side of the car. Installed a Blind Spot Mirror I got at AutoZone, Pilot Automotive, part number MI-003, $2.49. It's convex and about 1 inch high by 2 inches wide mounted on an angled plastic base. There's a piece of double sticky foam on the back to stick it to the mirror. The installation picture on the hang card shows the mirror near the outer portion of the mirror. I preferred mine on the lower inside corner. This fixes the blind spot.
I agree, the small blind mirror helps even after you set the side mirrors properly. In fact if you "read" the graphic that several folks have posted, on the right side it states you follow a car from the center mirror to the side mirror. That takes a wide view out of the rear window. Never used small blind spot mirrors on my '08, '93 or '88 Vettes since you had a good view out the back and could follow that advice. With the C7's limited view I find them useful. It's all based on an old SAE paper on how to set up mirrors, which also said some folks don't like that they lose perspective of what they see versus where there car is! The blind spot mirrors do both. Made a graphic below of what I find is the difference from the C7 versus the C6. Anyone with a Vert may feel the same! As noted with the mirrors set properly they provide the best of both worlds. It is more to look at and you must be looking as all mirrors all the time! To each his own.
Simulated C6 vs c7.jpg Pic with Captions.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone installed or know of a good after market blind-spot detector? The C7's design (as cool as it looks) does no justice in seeing who's tailing you in the other lane. I have my eye on this Blind Spot Mirror from Amazon and wonder if it's a reasonably inexpensive alternative?
Looking also. After my first weekend, I can say that if ANY car on this planet need blind-spot monitoring, this is it. With everything else it has, I was really surprised that it lacked it.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Looking also. After my first weekend, I can say that if ANY car on this planet need blind-spot monitoring, this is it. With everything else it has, I was really surprised that it lacked it.
Visibility is definitely not good on the C7 to the sides and rear.

Adjusting the side mirrors to point to the "blind spots" instead of at the car's sides will help a lot.

Reactions: darthalf

·
Administrator
16,097 Posts
I think you will find that setting your side mirrors per post #47 in this thread, will go a tremendous way to eliminating any blind spots. Of course, even with them set correctly per that post, if you don't constantly monitor them along with the rear view mirror, it is easy for a car to catch you by surprise.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Has anyone installed or know of a good after market blind-spot detector? The C7's design (as cool as it looks) does no justice in seeing who's tailing you in the other lane. I have my eye on this Blind Spot Mirror from Amazon and wonder if it's a reasonably inexpensive alternative?
Been thinking about blind spot detection as I drive my wife's X5 BMW SUV that has an excellent system! However that goes only so far! I have been using the method described in the ~1995 SAE paper about setting your mirrors to avoid blind spots for many years. However the narrow view out the center mirror of the C7 even restricts what it accomplishes since you can loose track of the car as it leaves the center to a side mirror. That was the premise of that method (read the text on the right side of the graphic often posted!) It's also fine to say you should turn your head until you come across an 18 wheeler tire tread in the middle of your lane- no time! The key is knowing where all cars are around you all the time. That takes subconsciously always looking in all the mirrors.

Never used or felt I needed a "blind spot mirror" in my '88, '93 or '08 Vettes. But the limited rear visibility of the C7 makes the one I added 2 1/2 years ago very effective, IMO. See my post #46 above. I think it is better than "Blind Spot Detection" although having both would be fine! In fact allowing convex mirrors on the drivers side (like on the passenger side) as they do in Europe would be even better! Just Sayn'!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Jerry - ive been beating this drum for a year now. You will find some here defend the "sportscar" aspect of the C7 and the need to save weight, etc. My point is and has been these are safety devices, the tech exists and is easily deployed. Why not use it? Would you remove the air bags to save weight?!!

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Jerry - ive been beating this drum for a year now. You will find some here defend the "sportscar" aspect of the C7 and the need to save weight, etc. My point is and has been these are safety devices, the tech exists and is easily deployed. Why not use it? Would you remove the air bags to save weight?!!
Agree. With too many folks talking on the phone or worse responding to text messages, we need all the help we can get! Even like the avoidance system on the BMW 5X SUV. Have had it flash red when I cut in close to a car in the right lane to get out of the way of an AH coming up on my bumper way to fast. As long as my foot is on the brake it doesn't energize the brakes just tells me I need to.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I think you will find that setting your side mirrors per post #47 in this thread, will go a tremendous way to eliminating any blind spots. Of course, even with them set correctly per that post, if you don't constantly monitor them along with the rear view mirror, it is easy for a car to catch you by surprise.
While I do agree with you, I was surprised at just how bad the rear visibility on the coupe is when I drove them at Ron Fellows in March. I thought the 'vert with the roof up was bad, but the coupe is even worse. Of course, the 'vert with the top down has great visibility. ;)

Edit: I've ordered a pair of these to stick in the top outside corner of the mirror. They have no metal or plastic rim surrounding them, so I think they'll look more integrated than most add-ons. They're Vitto Blind Spot Mirrors, but are currently listed as unavailable on Amazon. Googling that phrase may find some other sources.

81BQZIRd5LL._SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I've used those mirrors on all my vehicles since my first car at age 14, Dad was a truck driver. Not only are they outstanding for vehicle avoidance on the road, they are outstanding for avoiding curb rash on your wheels.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
While I do agree with you, I was surprised at just how bad the rear visibility on the coupe is when I drove them at Ron Fellows in March. I thought the 'vert with the roof up was bad, but the coupe is even worse. Of course, the 'vert with the top down has great visibility. ;)

Edit: I've ordered a pair of these to stick in the top outside corner of the mirror. They have no metal or plastic rim surrounding them, so I think they'll look more integrated than most add-ons. They're Vitto Blind Spot Mirrors, but are currently listed as unavailable on Amazon. Googling that phrase may find some other sources.

View attachment 47391
Agree, the spoiler on a Z51 coupe makes the rear view from the center mirror even more limited. Never considered adding a blind spot mirror to my '88, '93 or '08 Vettes but have been using the one on my C7 for over two years. Bit more to look at but it doesn't interfere with the full view from properly set side mirrors. Especially on an Interstate I feel it provides the added view needed.
I mount my blind spot oval glass mirror on the upper left as seen in post #46. I also got mine from Amazon.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Today, I set my mirrors the "correct" way on my daily driver. It really works so much better than the way I used to set them (seeing the side of my car), and saved me from a potential lane change problem several times. I'm planning to set all my cars this way, especially my new Stingray I pickup next week.

For those of you using the blind-spot mini mirrors, do you also set your side mirrors the "correct" way? Does it provide an extra field of vision you wouldn't have with the side mirror setting alone?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
For those of you using the blind-spot mini mirrors, do you also set your side mirrors the "correct" way? Does it provide an extra field of vision you wouldn't have with the side mirror setting alone?
I have tried setting them the "correct" way (as shown in Post 47 above), but didn't like it. I have the side mirrors set the same on all my vehicles ("traditional" manner with the side of the car visible), and all vehicles also have blind spot mirrors of various types. This is what I'm most familiar and comfortable with... and there are no blind spots. :eek:nthego:

Reactions: twowinns
41 - 60 of 66 Posts