Stingray Corvette Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have been using the Post 47 method for my Corvette. I really like the advantage of a better visibility. However, there have been a few times where someone was still able to penetrate my safety bubble unnoticed. This is quit unsettling when it happens. Most on the time it is when on the highway with 3 lanes going in the same direction.

I've ordered a set of these from the BIG A (see below). I use to be a truck driver and got familiar with small fish eye mirror and found it useful. The C7 mirror is a lot smaller than a full size truck mirror so I'll see if this works for me or not. With my personality, I'll probably send an hour getting the perfect location on the smaller mirror. For less than $8 (free shipping w/prime acct) I'll try them out.

Cardeco Moving Slim Circle Blind Spot Mirror SL Lens 50.8mm 2-pc Set For All Universal Vehicles Car Fit

Gus

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Jerry U;232627 I mount my blind spot oval glass mirror on the upper left as seen in post #46. I also got mine from Amazon.[/QUOTE said:
That's where I plan to mount mine.

For those of you using the blind-spot mini mirrors, do you also set your side mirrors the "correct" way? Does it provide an extra field of vision you wouldn't have with the side mirror setting alone?
I'll experiment. I'm thinking I might pull them in slightly from the "correct" position, but only slightly.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Today, I set my mirrors the "correct" way on my daily driver. It really works so much better than the way I used to set them (seeing the side of my car), and saved me from a potential lane change problem several times. I'm planning to set all my cars this way, especially my new Stingray I pickup next week.

For those of you using the blind-spot mini mirrors, do you also set your side mirrors the "correct" way? Does it provide an extra field of vision you wouldn't have with the side mirror setting alone?
Been setting my mirrors the "correct way" for many years. That graphic folks post summarizes a ~1995 SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Journal paper that discussed the method. If you read the right side of the short graphic is says you can follow a car from your center mirror as it moves to the right of left. That only works IF you have a wide view thru the rear center mirror. The key is knowing where ALL cars are around you at all times not just who is in your blind spots on the right and left rear.

If you have to make a quick decision, for example to avoid an 18 wheeler tire tread on the interstate, may not be time to see if someone is barreling down on your left IF you didn't anticipate them coming. Setting the mirrors so you don't see your car is fine for picking up someone directly in your blind spot but having a wider view in the small blind spot mirror helps knowing where all cars are around you. Never felt a need for them in my '88, '93 and '08 Vettes but rear visibility in the C7 coupe is not as good. In fact in a Vert with the top up it's worse. See my pic in post #46.

Been driving for over 50 years and never had an accident with another car (looking for wood!) and I attribute some of that to spending a lot of time looking in my mirrors (and luck!) Best to have as much information as possible IMO. In fact I think it is even more important today with folks distracted talking on the phone and worse texting or looking at their phone when it "dings" that a text message has just been received. If I see someone close to my bumper or driving close to my blind spots (since to avoid speeding tickets I only drive 5 to 8 mph over the speed limit on the Interstate) I quickly do something to get away and have them ride someone else's bumper!

Just Sayn'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone installed or know of a good after market blind-spot detector? The C7's design (as cool as it looks) does no justice in seeing who's tailing you in the other lane. I have my eye on this Blind Spot Mirror from Amazon and wonder if it's a reasonably inexpensive alternative?
Have you seen this one yet from corvetteparts and accessories c7-corvette-blind-spot-mirror?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Corvette Z51, LT2 package, manual, convertible, torch red
19 Posts
Great discussion, much appreciated! I am moving from a Mazda MX-5 Miata with blind spot mirror radar warning to a 2015 StingRay. On the test drive, I immediately noticed the large blind spot issues on the Corvette. I may try this add on? Houston, TX traffic is dense, fast and erratic. I also ride motorcycles, hence I am very, very safety aware of blind spots.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm using the special blind spot type mirrors. Adjusting your mirrors properly definitely helps, but proper adjustment AND the blind spot mirrors are the best way to go. Situational awareness is important, but there will always be times when you're not 100%. Good mirrors properly adjusted really show their value during those times.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts