Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stopped by Discount to look at some "all season" tires (ones that wont freeze and crack below 30 degrees). I also asked about wheels. The said they can get Z51 19/20 recreations from a company out of California call Factory Reproductions. Does anyone know any good or bad stuff about this company and their wheels? They are asking $240 each for the fronts and $280 each for the backs in gloss black.

So, I can get a second complete set of wheels and tires (Michelin AS3's) with the TPMS for under $2500. I didn't think that sounded too bad. Assuming, of course, that the reproductions are any good.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions,

Kirk

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discount can also get TSW or Cray wheels for a good value, these wheels are stronger because they carry a type of forging that is stronger than cast.
google TSW.
google cray corvette wheels

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I agree with the quality of TSW/Cray, for the money they beat everything else. A 3rd option would be to browse eBay and all the various Corvette sites for factory take off's. I did just that and got a set of virtually unused Z51 wheels for <$2000 and promptly sold my originals for roughly what I paid for the take off's after they were powder coated.

I don't think there is enough history on the knockoff's to know their quality. Considering they are going with A/S tires I imagine there shouldn't be a safety issue but I damn sure wouldn't use no name knockoffs with the factory tires and ANY track time. I would have no qualms running TSW's though.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have a local price of $1429 on four Crays. staggered 19" and 20". Intend to order them, with tires, when my order hits 3000

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
I checked tire prices at Sam's. The cost to put Michellin AS/3 tires on stock Z51 rims is $1,270 and some change. Not sure if that's a great price?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I checked tire prices at Sam's. The cost to put Michellin AS/3 tires on stock Z51 rims is $1,270 and some change. Not sure if that's a great price?
Today's price at Tirerack is $1052. But you have to add to that shipping, and then the cost of having somebody mount and balance. Sounds like your price is in the right ballpark, and probably less hassle, if you have confidence in their mounting and balancing, and putting your car on a lift.

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Today's price at Tirerack is $1052. But you have to add to that shipping, and then the cost of having somebody mount and balance. Sounds like your price is in the right ballpark, and probably less hassle, if you have confidence in their mounting and balancing, and putting your car on a lift.
All of those items were included in the quote from Sam's. So the price is right, just need to verify the skill level and equipment. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts