Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want better fuel economy AND better performance. Forgioto, usually of SEMA/wide body and fancy wheels fame, is changing direction, with this new opening/closing grill option for your StingRay. (If only, my editorial comment/perspective, they wouldn't have put the chrome on it..., but then they would not be Forgioto.)

CorvetteAuthority said:
As if the C7 2014 Corvette wasn’t already breathing easy with the amount of vents installed to divert air and reduce drag, Forgiato wants you to reconsider.

Meet the Forgiato Active Grille. Designed and developed by Forgiato Wheels, the active grille is an alternative to the OEM functionality of the stock 2014-2015 Corvette Stingray. Forgiato claims that the new grille system diverts airflow away from the engine compartment, forcing it to travel around the hood and fenders. Thus resulting in a less restrictive path, reducing vehicle lift and aerodynamic drag, and hopefully improving fuel economy.
The grille is operated via an electronic control unit and features three modes: “Active”, uses the throttle position to engage the grille, “Demo”, demonstrates the grille’s functionality while the vehicle is not in motion, and finally “Off”, keeps the grille blades open at all times. The grille is made from aluminum and stainless steal, and is a product of the USA. Plus, your Forgiato wide body kit and colored wheels on your C7 would look incomplete without it.
If you’re feeling even more obnoxiously flashy, than the standard Forigato target market, the grille can also be backlit with LED illumination. Watch how it works in the video below.

Read more: Corvette Stingray Forgiato Active Grille | GM Authority

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
a perfect example regarding jeff's new thread.... - is this a supporting vendor?...and I'm not trying to be sarcastic...other approved vendors sell grills, so can we showcase stuff we find or not?

·
18,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry if I inappropriately posted this. Thought it was so radical as to be interesting. Jeff, please delete thread if you think is appropriate.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree Glen...another example of many that are in the gray area....it's often stated nothing in life is black and white....this issue certainly qualifies.

Jerry

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been following this problem also and it Needs to be resolved soon, or at least have more definitive and well located guidelines.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'll just leave this with two observations.

The first is, who needs hundreds of hours of wind tunnel time and thousands of hours of CFD calculations on the appropriate amount of airflow and cooling? Just make it shiny and make it move, that's all we need.

The second is a favorite saying of mine. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Reactions: mjw930 and Mobius

·
Registered
307 Posts
Two points:

(1) Forgiato is not a supporting vendor.
(2) That grill makes the C7 look like an ugly, angry shark

Reactions: Vigilance247

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Not for me either

·
Registered
185 Posts
View attachment 12524 there were 3 Z06 grills that were found on EBay ..this is one in mine. Factory Bolts right in ..should be available soon if ZO6 is on the way
Yeah I am going to wait until the Z06 grilles become more widely available and then get one to replace my standard one.

This shark tooth one looks interesting, though. It's not a bad look. It's not my fav but neither is the standard one so it's just a matter of taste. Good to have more options.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Movie 007 "Jaws"

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
What can I say? I'm speechless... While not being known for diplomacy at times, the upside is I'm honest to a fault. And yes, to each their own and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... That new grille has got to be the most hideous looking things most have ever seen. Creativity is a good thing and as many of us have attended large well organized car shows in auditoriums in the past witnessing such creativity, this thing appears to be something one might see on a 1950's "Fat Body Low Rider" or a "Rat Rod." It's blasphemous to apply such "Styling" to a well thought out and designed car like the C7. For those that don't care for the grille provided on the Stingray, the Z06 grille certainly appears to be the most logical alternative. Hey! Just IMHO.... But then, you know what they say about those... I'm probably going to catch allot of flack, but just being honest.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The first is, who needs hundreds of hours of wind tunnel time and thousands of hours of CFD calculations on the appropriate amount of airflow and cooling?
That would be nice, but the stock grill has been found to cause overheating at the track. Removing some of the panels (I bleive a permanent modification) has been found to help the airflow tot he radiator, according to the Ron Fellows school techs anyway. So be careful what assumptions you make about the stock parts...

·
Registered
10,417 Posts
Uh, yeah, I don't like it.

The Z06 grille looks so much better, it is not even in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
952 Posts
After the thousands of hours they spend on engineering this car, you would think these recent problems, including grille design, would be non-existant. They went so far on the Camaro as to hollow out the bow tie in the center of the grille because it provided better wind flow, so when you over-engineer these little things, there should be no flaws in them..IMHO

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ugh! First after market accessory that makes this great looking car look like a cartoon character.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts