Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Yea...google maps and my iPhone! I have a phone clip (PM me if u want to know the maker) that attaches to the passenger hand grip on the center console and it facing towards the driver and it works like a charm and even gives me the verbal directions through the car audio system!
No need to spend money for any aftermarket....at least for me!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
If you mean something that plugs into the factory infotainment system, no. I don't think any such thing exists. I just use Google Maps, or Here, or Waze on my phone. I've considered buying a small (7 or 8 inch) tablet to tether to my phone so I could have a bigger screen, but what I've got now (an LG with a 5.5" screen) is actually pretty easy to read.

There is a company called NavTool which is claiming they're going to sell a device that will mirror your phone's screen to the infotainment unit. There is, however, quite a bit of doubt whether they're actually going to deliver, or whether it's a scam. They've taken pre-orders for (they claim) more than 300 Corvette modules, but have missed multiple dates and still haven't delivered anything. The same thing has happened on Acura forums, and possibly others. I know they've posted looking for pre-orders on about 75 different forums for different makes of cars. There are a lot of other red flags about the company, too.

Google Navtool, or Navtool C7, and you should be able to find quite a bit of information both on the company's claims and the red flags.

Reactions: Norm

·
Registered
269 Posts
Agreed on iPhone and free GPS apps (Google maps, Apple maps, Waze, etc.). Play sound through USB cable which also provides power for long distance drives or over Bluetooth. Phone holder is a must though. I have one that clips onto air vent to right of steering wheel which puts my phone right in line of sight.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I use my iPhone with Waze. I hang my phone from the rear view mirror with one of these Bondi phone holders. Got one in both cars.... works great and you don't have to look down to view it. Sound comes through the car's audio system if you wish.
Bondi phone holder.jpg

Reactions: Norm

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I do hope that GM gets Android Auto working and distributed next month. I also hope it does a good job to fulfill its intended purpose.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Help me understand something. Are you looking for an aftermarket solution for NAV/GPS finding locations because you don't have the NAV in your car? Or, you have the NAV but it doesn't meet your expectations?

I did vacillate spending the $1700 when ordering my C7. At the time when I ordered my car there were issues with it operating correctly. My wife insisted that I add it to the order so I did. In hindsight, I'm glad I did. After a software update about 3 months into getting my car it has performed as expected. I use it 2 or 3 times a month and it has always got me to my desired location w/o sending me to East Overshoe first. I like the fact that the cabin is kept free from other distractions. But hey, that is just me.

In the end, I hope that all of you looking for the better mouse trap finds what meets your specific needs. Good Luck in your quest.
Gus

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I use Waze on my iPhone. Navigation with LEO alerts, real time traffic info from other users including accident descriptions and locations. I wouldn't travel without Waze and wouldn't spend money on a Garmin or TomTom.

I use the built in Nav system too.

Reactions: Ret9580

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Hi Gus,

Real-time traffic updates are a must for me so I know which of the two dozen+ different branches to take to get from point A to point B in the Bay Area.

I am already familiar with a plethora of ways to get from point A to point B and don't need directions, but I don't know which of the optional roads to take unless I know where the accidents and traffic jams are so I can try to minimize the number of those that I have to deal with.

EDIT: Unless I miscounted, there are 31 major decision points between a certain point A and point B. The first decision point occurs when driving out of the parking lot at point A. If I turn left there will be 17 major decision points still in play. If I turn right there will be 13 major decision points still in play. At each decision point I see what the most recent traffic conditions are, carefully make my decision, and then the number of available branches still in play get reduced. The trip can take anywhere from 50 minutes to three hours depending on traffic, so having accurate, real-time data is critical. Google Maps provides me with what I need. The issue for me would be getting Google Maps to use the built-in screen in the dash.

Reactions: C7Man

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I can't say enough good things about Waze. Always alerts you 1/2 mile before you reach anything (Police, traffic hazards, cars on shoulder, etc). I don't think I EVER used the navigation in the car. Now I need that clip Promethius has.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Several have asked about the maker of the phone clip I have. I guess it is alright to identify the maker as long as I don't provide a link. Is that correct elegant?

·
Administrator
16,508 Posts
Several have asked about the maker of the phone clip I have. I guess it is alright to identify the maker as long as I don't provide a link. Is that correct elegant?
you can most definitely identify the item manufacturer, product number (if applicable) etc. Just not a link to a non-supporting vendor. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Okay great....the name of the maker is proclip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got nav from these guys. OEM Auto Parts Co.
Be sure that you have the I05 unit or it will not work. They claim to buy the replacement I06 unit from the same supplier that GM uses. They will program it to your VIN and you swap out the unit under your dash and add the the supplied antenna. Probably took me an hour. There are some videos that help a lot.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Well I watch their install video, I was impressed. It appears to be a very easy install and a great upgrade for those who don't have navigation. Consider purchasing the product myself!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
That would be nice!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I'd like to be able to add Android Auto to my C7, but not when it costs more than $1000!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Alternate is NavTool - they provide a very good interface with your phone (I use iOS Apple, but also works with Android I am told).
It is a little more challenging to install, requires an interior-ectomy to run wires, but also includes inputs for side and front cameras, and Waze on your phone screen is mirrored on the center console screen.

The entire install took me a couple of hours, but well worth it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts