Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This discussion started out on a very lively note, when, during an interview, Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter said that purchasing an aftermarket StingRay exhaust system was "a waste of money."

Since then, the conversation has included many obvious factors, including relative price value, material quality, sound levels, "drone" or lack of it while cruising, etc.

Up until now, we have not seen quality aftermarket stainless steel systems -- though a few customers have had successfully gone to their local muffler shop and had Flowmasters installed. See this current thread for Flowmaster process, pictures and information:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-discussions/1789-getting-new-mufflers.html

For a complete exhaust system versus the factory NPP option, price may again rise to the head of the list in the comparison, for the new " Billy Boat," Fusion systems have just been announced, and depending on how "quiet or aggressive" these systems are, and whether they involve "in cabin" sound level adjustability, they start at $1,695. However, if you consider their options which have the ability to change your exhaust tone (loudness), they start at $2,495. Of course, add shipping and install to those prices.

As of today, the Borla and Corsa performance sites indicate that their product for the StingRay is coming soon. Magnaflow lists two products, however, a caution, for they list the inflow-exhaust-pipe size at 2.5" and all StingRays have a 2.75" exhaust system.

While we will see the new Borla and Corsa and other aftermarket exhaust systems out soon, and while we know that initial aftermarket pricing always gets further discounted in a few months, that is a lot of money compared to the factory price of $1195. Stay tuned, for we will see many more aftermarket exhaust systems right after the start of the new year, and with that competition, pricing will be discounted. This discussion, aftermarket vs. NPP, will continue for many years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am getting my car put on a dyno in a few weeks. Bad thing is I do not have a base line with the stock system, but will be able to see what it does with the flows I installed. I have seen that the stock C7 puts around 412-415 to the ground stock. The corvette guru at the dealership said all the NPP does is put a little better flowing muffler and one tail pipe on each side has a flap in it for more sound adjustment. This system plugs into your computer for the adjustment that has to be done at the dealership anytime you would want to change the tone of it. I am sure it is like anything, it is up to the owner and want they want out of it.

I no this not a great comparison but I did dyno a 98 Trans Am in stock trim, put down 268hp not sure what the tq was. Then put a flowmaster single in dual out on and a cold air K&N intake, it then put down 279hp. A gain of 11hp was ok as the cost was around $450 for both installed. So the $1200 plus the install rate just seems like a lot of $ for very little added hp. Just my 2 cents...

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love the sound of Flowmasters around town and on short trips. They sound much better than stock!

As we do lots of long distance driving, have Corsa's on my 06 Z. Will probably go with the factory NPP on my 2015 Z.

Now if I had two StingRays, I would put Flowmasters on my around-town Corvette, go with NPP for my long distance cruiser.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Honestly, I think the factory system is impossible to beat at the price. When you factor in the tunability and integration into the electronics it's unmatched. I imagine if you were going for ultimate performance and doing an entire system with headers then their might be better options but it will be interesting to see if someone takes long tube headers and puts them in front of the NPP exhaust, tunes the system and compares the results.

Reactions: regguy1

·
Registered
94 Posts
Love the sound of Flowmasters around town and on short trips. They sound much better than stock!

As we do lots of long distance driving, have Corsa's on my 06 Z. Will probably go with the factory NPP on my 2015 Z.

Now if I had two StingRays, I would put Flowmasters on my around-town Corvette, go with NPP for my long distance cruiser.
In 7 gear there is NO and I mean NO exhaust sound when in eco mode. In the other modes it is very very quit. In fact is not much if any more loud than the stock system at highway speed. It really is the best of both worlds on this car as it puts out a lot of sound around town and very quit on the highway.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts

Have you compared the FlowMasters to the NPP set to be always on?

·
Registered
502 Posts
A side thought on price - NPP versus aftermarket systems……

From our (i.e. the consumer's) perspective - one costs $1200, while an aftermarket (after time) is usually about the same, with free installation at major shows.

HOWEVER….from GM's perspective, with the NPP, they get an extra $1200.00, but never have to put the non-NPP system on the car…so their profit is essentially the profit from the NPP system (selling price minus cost to produce) PLUS the cost of the base system that's already built into the base price of the car….unless of course, the NPP in and of itself, costs GM more than $1200…which I doubt given their economies of scale versus the aftermarket guys…..

Again…just a thought….not terribly relevant to the decision on what to do…..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honestly, I think the factory system is impossible to beat at the price. When you factor in the tunability and integration into the electronics it's unmatched. I imagine if you were going for ultimate performance and doing an entire system with headers then their might be better options but it will be interesting to see if someone takes long tube headers and puts them in front of the NPP exhaust, tunes the system and compares the results.
I agree with this. I really like the sound of the NPP. Aggressive when you want it, and quiet when you don't.
S.

·
Administrator
16,510 Posts
I agree with this. I really like the sound of the NPP. Aggressive when you want it, and quiet when you don't.
S.
Totally agree. It is one awesome system :cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know I'll get the stink eye look from a few guys for this comparison, but take it for what it's worth.

On the 5th gen Camaros. We have seen no gain going from an NPP system to an aftermarket 3" system until we are well over 700RWHP(On Longtube header, no cats, with forced induction). Even then it has not been a consistent gain.

The factory NPP is a great performance option. If you want a different exhaust note than the NPP then run the exhaust of your choosing. I run a custom made 3" Magnaflow on my Camaro and have also had Corsa on it previous. To me the only reason two reasons not to option for the NPP from the factory is if you always want quiet, or you prefer a different note than the NPP.

I do not like Flowmasters on the LS series engines, especially the 6.0 and up engines. Due to the chambered muffler design and the long pipes running the length of the car with rear mounted mufflers; Flowmasters introduce a lot of drone at various RPMs. It's not a matter of DB level, its a harmonic frequency.

My shop has replaced a number of Flowmaster systems with Magnaflow or Corsa for people that were "drone sensitive". Some people do not care about it or are not sensitive. But to those that are, Flowmaster is not one of the better choices.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a "sound video clip" of the new B&B Fusion Gen3 with Speedway Tips. Their list price is $2,524; that price is currently being discounted to $1,999.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I took delivery Sunday for my Conv. w/ NPP EXAUST. It sounds great at lower rpms but seams to drop off somewhere aroung 2000 rpms. I've been running in the sport mode most of the time, do I have a problem? I liked my Corsa system on my C6 better. Sounded little throatier wo/drownto the NPP and always on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually what happens is the exhaust is silent when the car goes into v4 mode. Turn on the instant fuel economy gage in the center display and watch what happens when it goes from v8 to v4

·
Registered
579 Posts
:cool: Try it in Track mode :cool:

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
For those considering aftermarket exhaust systems, our newest supporting vendor Weapon X Performance, is already listing seven different options for you (though a couple are not yet for sale, but "coming soon." These companies' products that weapon X motorsports can help you with include:

Exhaust system components include: Akropovic, Billy Boat, Borla, Corsa, LG Motorsports (another supporting vendor) Magnaflow, and New Era Performance.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Here's one for the people in the know, can you retrofit NPP to a car without it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm tempted just to get good quality electric cut outs...

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I'm doing American Racing headers and replacing the rear with Billy Boat PRT Fusion mufflers. My exhaust will be sent it another company I'm working with that makes an active exhaust as well. I plan to do testing for each mod to show the gains.

Also, when the exhaust comes back, it will be for sale for someone wanting to adapt it. The new c7 exhaust is electric. I know a guy who might be able to program that into the system to activate in the nav like stock, otherwise we can use a toggle switch or even use a remote like cutouts.

Speaking of cutouts, those are a LOT of fun and you can go mild to wild with a remote press even when you've remote started the car in by parking lot lol.
Listen to the video
https://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify.com/products/dmh-cut-outs

1 - 20 of 34 Posts