Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my Laguna Blue at the dealer last October the A/C wasn't operating. I arranged for service a couple days later at the dealer. That afternoon the car was ready and the tech claimed there wasn't freon in the system from the factory. He said he charged it and added leak detecting dye, ran the car for 30 minutes and there wasn't any leaks. I wasn't thrilled with his troubleshooting capabilities. I put the car in storage a couple of weeks later (Cleveland winters sometimes come early). Took the car out of storage last weekend to enjoy the 70 degree weather and no A/C again. I have done some research and found one has to be absolutely certain that all of the leaks are found before new Freon is put back into the system. This means that once the leak or leaks are found and repaired, a vacuum pump is put on the system to bring it down to the required micron specification and then left on the system for some time to remove all moisture. Then the vacuum pump is removed and the vacuum gauges to remain on the system for 24 hours to verify it maintains spec vacuum. If I can get the dealer to do this I will even come by periodically and verify that it holds vacuum. I hope that it is not the evaporator coil as I don't want to have a car with 300 miles on it have the dash disassembled if that is the case.

Has anyone as yet had an air conditioning issue with a C7?

bpoto

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have not seen anything like you have described. There have been some ECM re-flashes for AC operation, but nothing that would address your issue. It does sound like there is a leak in your AC system. Keep us posted on what your dealer does to fix the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - Will let you know what happens. In particular I want it repaired this time - not just a quick freon fill.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I don't believe that FREON is used anymore these days? that was used several centuries ago, they now use Puron or another terminology is R-410A

·
Registered
5 Posts
My AC did not work at all. It required a new condenser and was a 5 day process including the time to get the new condenser delivered. I had 423 miles on it. Seems fine so far. (Fingers crossed)

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My ac had a bad weld in the throttling valve up against the firewall. First mechanic didn't bother to look as there was plenty of dye there. It has been fine for a month now.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My C7 A/C quit working. Put it on a lift and the high side hose has a green drip of oil by the condenser. Does GM put dye in from the factory?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I don't think so, or at least have not heard that they do. Let us know how your issue is resolved.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Took my C7 to Bud's today in St Mary's OH and Troy their head Corvette mechanic said yes they do put dye in from the factory. He ordered me a new high side line. Take 3 days to get it. Will see what happens next. Keith

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
They sure do put dye in, AC is green

·
Registered
531 Posts
Update: had car to Bud's Chevy on 8/29. Had high pressure line replaced, evacuated and recharged. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and everything is ok. Hope it's fixed.

By the way, Bud's service department was A++++. Very Satisfied.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts