Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - where are the air inlets on a Convert Z51? They are not in the rear quarter panels - where are they?

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are located under the body ahead of the rear tires.

Area 473
Thanks. Of course this means that the Convert is not entirely a front/top breather, as the coupe is. That was an issue for my C4 and my C5 both verts as well. Desert driving at peak temps was problematic for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
pneild, The front air intakes are the same on both the coupe and the vert, only the rear are different. The rear intakes cool the brakes, transmission and rear diff. The front only cools the engine, brakes and provide interior air. There are no lines front to back, completely independent. I don't think that was the case on the C4 and C5.
When you say you had problems in the desert, what was the main problem? Engine overheating? I have mine in Vegas and well know the peak temps. :( I don't have any issues with any other cars and don't think you will either.

Area 473

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pneild, The front air intakes are the same on both the coupe and the vert, only the rear are different. The rear intakes cool the brakes, transmission and rear diff. The front only cools the engine, brakes and provide interior air. There are no lines front to back, completely independent. I don't think that was the case on the C4 and C5.
When you say you had problems in the desert, what was the main problem? Engine overheating? I have mine in Vegas and well know the peak temps. :( I don't have any issues with any other cars and don't think you will either.

Area 473
I do frequent I-10 and I-8 runs from San Diego / LA to Phoenix and Tucson. The high temps were transmission related on the C4 and C5. Frequent gasket fries and subsequent leaks. Soooooo when C7 came out being promoted as a front/top breather it got my attention. I was somewhat disappointed at giving up the Convert (no intakes with the move of stuff back aft). At least the "coupe" - Targa, opens things up (Coast runs). AND perhaps a drive train that can go 100000 with no leaks. BTW I never got an answer from anybody at GM or the dealers about the missing vents (Convert Z51's are still rare). It took you and this forum to get the perhaps sensitive answer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've found several references to the cooling ducts on the Convertible in various places. I'm not familiar with the C4 and C5 but it's my understanding that they used a radiator cooler up front, not very efficient and many modified those. That said, the Z51 package (auto or man) on either the coupe or the convertible come with transmission and differential cooler interchangers mounted in the rear and served with air via the top (coupe) or underbody ducts (convert).

Here's a quote from Gm news Chevrolet News - United States - Corvette/Convertible

"All Corvette Stingray models with the Z51 package also feature integral coolers for the rear differential and transmission (the transmission cooler is also included with the optional automatic transmission). For coupe models, the air intakes are integrated on the rear quarter panels, similar to the NACA ducts on the Corvette Racing C6.R. For convertible models, the air intakes are integrated into the underbody.

Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exits through the aircraft-inspired tail lamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets. The Z51 Performance Package also includes brake-cooling ducts, a unique rear spoiler and additional air deflectors for enhanced track capability."

I would think both would work equally well and light years ahead of the old systems.

I do know the heat you speak of...We also have a Mini Cooper S with a slush box and have been all over the southwest in temps of 115 with no problems which is somewhat surprising.

Area 473

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've found several references to the cooling ducts on the Convertible in various places. I'm not familiar with the C4 and C5 but it's my understanding that they used a radiator cooler up front, not very efficient and many modified those. That said, the Z51 package (auto or man) on either the coupe or the convertible come with transmission and differential cooler interchangers mounted in the rear and served with air via the top (coupe) or underbody ducts (convert).

Here's a quote from Gm news Chevrolet News - United States - Corvette/Convertible

"All Corvette Stingray models with the Z51 package also feature integral coolers for the rear differential and transmission (the transmission cooler is also included with the optional automatic transmission). For coupe models, the air intakes are integrated on the rear quarter panels, similar to the NACA ducts on the Corvette Racing C6.R. For convertible models, the air intakes are integrated into the underbody.

Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exits through the aircraft-inspired tail lamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets. The Z51 Performance Package also includes brake-cooling ducts, a unique rear spoiler and additional air deflectors for enhanced track capability."

I would think both would work equally well and light years ahead of the old systems.

I do know the heat you speak of...We also have a Mini Cooper S with a slush box and have been all over the southwest in temps of 115 with no problems which is somewhat surprising.

Area 473
Area 473, I have been meaning to get back to you on this topic. And to explain my decision a little more I did a video on the subject.
Also, the reason other cars don't have this issue is primarily an issue of clearance. Corvettes typically have very little. On my C5 I got around the compressed hot air intake for aspiration purposes by putting in a Veraram system that made the front intakes by the driving lights active. That solved that problem as the C7 does. But I still had the "WRONG WAY" radiator to deal with and it's frequent cleanings. Again hopefully on the C7 that issue will have gone away.
On the C4 the issues were the same, and I fixed them/tolerated the issues the same way. And note that I did NOT buy a C6, because the issue was not addressed. Whew - it appears they have addressed the issues on the C7. So perhaps I will be driving a vette till I die. Whereas I'm pretty sure I was going to outlive my C5.

·
18,669 Posts
Thanks pneild, for the thorough explanation as to the basis for your choice, and for including the two videos to further explain and demonstrate the Z-51's trans and diff cooling systems!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks pneild, for the thorough explanation as to the basis for your choice, and for including the two videos to further explain and demonstrate the Z-51's trans and diff cooling systems!
No problem Elegant. There is a lot of good info on YouTube and via Google search. I am really looking forward to my C7, as there are huge numbers of theoretical engineering changes that look amazing. Nothing will prove them out like time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pneild,

Nice job on the video!

Not sure if you looked at the New Chevrolet website Chip posted, but it's got some very cool airflow models. Here's the link if you didn't see it. 2014 Corvette Stingray: C7 - GT Car | Chevrolet

You have to scroll down a ways and be sure to click the two different views in the top right corner of the airflow page to get different perspectives.

Area 473

1 - 10 of 10 Posts