Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my stingray about a month ago from a dealership out of state. I had it shipped to colorado where I live.
Shortly after I took delivery, I noticed it pulled to the right starting at about 40mph.
I took it into the local Chevy dealer and they covered the alignment under warranty. I travel for work so only drive it a couple times a week when it isn't raining. Shortly after the first alignment, it was STILL pulling right. Frustrated I went back to the dealership with the car. I left it there over the week while I was away. They soon informed me they were using the wrong specs.. And that the issue should be resolved. I was elated to get her back. But damned if not a few days later... I for the 3rd time return to the dealership and take their service director on a ride to show him the pull. Knowing the situation he is baffled. Upon returning to the dealership to schedule an appointment, a service rep informs me that the second time the vette came through the GM techs had informed the mechanic to "offset" the caster to compensate for the pull. The mechanic and service rep both thought this was odd. I'm under the impression they had rigged the alignment and not followed specs. ( which still has not resolved the issue) my question to anyone who may have any insight is: would an "offset" outside normal specs be the proper method of rectifying this because both the mechanic and service rep thought it was wrong..and my next step is to get an attorney. I don't want this to take away from my love of the car as its been my dream to have one. It appears to me they don't have an explanation as to why it continues to pull right and want to cover it up. Lemon laws in colorado state 4 attempts to fix the problem and them GM needs to make it right. Any thoughts? 2014 3LT Z51.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I have heard of several others all pulling to the right. Yours is not the only one. Do a forum search for wheel alignment, and post on the old threads.

I was told by a local dealership that they could fix it, but it would take several tries, and to be patient.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Tire issue?
Yes, a tire can cause a pull. it's rare with the quality of the OEM tire but not unheard of. For the OP I suspect rear caster is the issue as many alignment mechanics are unfamiliar with this setting, focusing on the front every time someone complains of a pull.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Pulling to the right is a common problem and I experienced it myself in my Z51. You are entitled to a complementary alignment (before 3000 miles, I think). I took advantage of that and it was the best thing I ever did for my Stingray. It changed the entire handling nature of the car. Vast improvement in every area. Do it. You will be happier than a cat in the mouse factory.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same problem. I took it to the dealer as soon as I got home from the 1,800 mile trip from the museum to Phoenix. It still pulled to the right a bit after the alignment but after a few weeks of driving its great. I thought it might be a tire issue as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the duplicate:/ can't figure out how to delete it. I made an edit and now I've got two.. Learning as I go...
As far as the issue.. I take the car back to the dealership tomorrow morning as they have received word from GM that I'm not the only problem regarding this issue... I've asked for all documentation relating to the corrections they plan on making and the "letter" they claim to have informing them of this is apparently "proprietary" and they can't give me a copy. I've made it clear im running out of patience. Hopefully they find the problem instead of masking it and make it right. I've mentioned all the various possibilities per everyone's input so hopefully 3rd times the charm. Thanks for all the input guys. I'll keep you posted. Of any of you are in the Denver area the next few days.. Beers and ribs are on me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If they have the letter, this means they are aware of the issue and the fix is simple. A good alignment and you will be good to go; just be courteous and patient and I'm confident they will take care of you. Once the alignment is done, not only will your car track a straighter line, but it's road manners will improve as well. After the alignment, you will fall in love with your Stingray all over again.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts