Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All Z06 splitters and winglets are now "out," for all Z06 stages!

The three different Z06 front splitters and the the winglets for stages 1 & 2 are now "out of the closet." With apologies for picture quality, for the first time we get to see stage 1 and stage 2 components without camouflage.

Note: While some of these pictures appear to be from an orange car, it is just the light in the display hall and my cell phone, as they are Torch Red.

All of these components, including those previously shown stage 3 (Z07) parts, are still undergoing field, aero tunnel and other testing, so while Harlan said today they are current "best assessments," their thickness, angle, distance from the body and other dimensional components may change over the next six months.

Even some of the heretofore stated "tentative decisions" are in flux. For example, the latest tests have determined that previous thinking that the Z-51 deck spoiler will be the stage 1's deck spoiler is now into question. In fact, it is how probable that the stage one deck spoiler will need to be redesigned -- think perhaps slightly taller and/or wider or otherwise changed to add needed additional rear downforce for the stage one Z.

Here is the latest version of the stage 1 front splitter. Recognize it from one of the SEMA cars (two of the SEMA Corvette concept cars are here at the Bash), showing off their extremely-similar to, or identical to Z06 stage 1 and stage 2 front splitters). Note, that, as opposed to the stage 2 & 3 splitter below, the stage one splitter's extension from the fascia does not parallel the front "fangs.

Here are the first non-camo pictures of the stage 1 front splitter, corner winglet. The first picture is obviously a side view; this winglet is approximately 2 1/2" tall.

This top down look shows that same splitter; it is approximately separated from the body by approximately 1/2", and because of the front fenders flaring behind it (not shown in this picture), it does not appear to be wider than the car.

Here is a picture of the stage 2 splitter, which will also be the same splitter as on the stage 3 (Z07). Note that the splitter sticks out in front of the front fangs, in an "almost constant distance basis." Again, the front splitters on stages 2 & 3 are, at least at this time, the same.

The previously seen, often photographed, Z06 front "vertical winglets" are much further out from the body, appearing, from the front of the car, to be the widest part of the front -- as they are separated from the fenders a minimum of 1" at the top and almost 1 3/4" where their bottom edge sticks out from the end end of the front splitter.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sweet! And thanks for posting pics... I'd probably opt for Stage 1 but they're all nice and serves their respective purpose(s).

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Great shots of the front splitters John. So this leads me to believe the front splitters for stages 2 & 3 will be approximately the same and stage 1 is going to be a bit more subdued? The grill in these pictures appear more like the Stingray though.....

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Thanks for posting elegant! Really appreciate all of your effort on bringing us with you to the Bash :D As with many of the additions to our cars, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder (and more importantly, in the eyes of the purchaser). Personally I prefer the clean lines of the Stingray to the Z06 Aero kit, but understand why they will need it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
So I like the stage 1 front splitter, but not too crazy about the corner winglet. Right now it looks like it's removable which is something to think about. Thanks John for the pics!

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great shots of the front splitters John. So this leads me to believe the front splitters for stages 2 & 3 will be approximately the same and stage 1 is going to be a bit more subdued? The grill in these pictures appear more like the Stingray though.....
Yes, all your observations are spot on. The reason why the grills look like 2014 is that they are from the 2014's that were at SEMA, i.e., so far, GM's has not produced a stage 1 nor 2 that they built as a show car (and thus available for display). However, Harlan and I visit each SEMA car and he confirmed exactly what is in post # 1.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I like the stage 1 front splitter, but not too crazy about the corner winglet. Right now it looks like it's removable which is something to think about. Thanks John for the pics!
A state 1 splitter is totally clean, without any winglets of any size. They look "elegant." I will post a picture of the ends of a stage 1 splitter tomorrow (Friday).

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
John,

We need to all chip in and buy you a better smart phone with a decent camera ;)

Just kidding, thanks for all the reporting!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a close-up of the end of the Z06's stage 1 splitter, looking from the right front "fang" to its extreme end (passenger side).

Please again note, that this is from a 2014 SEMA concept car, hence why you are looking at a 2014 grille.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Here's a close-up of the end of the Z06's stage 1 splitter, looking from the right front "fang" to its extreme end (passenger side).
I anticipate this is going to be a huge seller in the aftermarket for Chevy. Looks very clean.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Its look is very smooth, I love these little pictures indicate precision on our choice.

Because we know from the dealer it will not be possible to see and try a vehicle before purchasing.

Verily this is a blind choice that we make when buying this type of vehicle.

Elegant tank you continue to follow you in your quest of information.:cool:

·
Registered
10,419 Posts

[cut]

Please again note, that this is from a 2014 SEMA concept car, hence why you are looking at a 2014 grille.
John, I see you referred to that grille as a 2014 grille. Are the grilles changing on the StingRay for 2015, or only for the 2015 Z06? Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
John
I had the same color processing problem with my iPhone camera until I discovered the color process feature. It appears in your bottom bar while you are in the camera mode, looks like a 3 color wheel. By touching this icon you can choose different processes for the color until the "orange car" is back to torch red.
If it's not an iPhone the I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
718 Posts

Stingrays for sure....the ZO6 WILL have the fender splatz add-ons for all aero stages.

John, any mention of the vents being either: black, body-colored, or shark gray?
This would be a very interesting change to just the vents and I assume not the aero add-ons that can be black or CF.
If the aero pieces could be body color (fender splatz as well) that would open up a lot of design potential.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
John, thanks for the pics! Tell us which one your going to go with! :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Stingrays for sure....the ZO6 WILL have the fender splatz add-ons for all aero stages.

John, any mention of the vents being either: black, body-colored, or shark gray?
This would be a very interesting change to just the vents and I assume not the aero add-ons that can be black or CF.
If the aero pieces could be body color (fender splatz as well) that would open up a lot of design potential.

Very interesting pics of the Blade Silver car (C7 Stingray) with the new Shark Grey vents AND Trim at the BASH>

I understand from the BASH that the vents will be standard Black OR optioned as body-color or shark grey. Is this an example? As I did not know it would include the trim? ie spoiler, front splitter, etc?

This is for 2015 correct and I hope that includes the Z06 model.

View attachment 6755

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Very interesting pics of the Blade Silver car (C7 Stingray) with the new Shark Grey vents AND Trim at the BASH>

I understand from the BASH that the vents will be standard Black OR optioned as body-color or shark grey. Is this an example? As I did not know it would include the trim? ie spoiler, front splitter, etc?

This is for 2015 correct and I hope that includes the Z06 model.

View attachment 6755
Another pic of the rear of the car showing the lower rear as the gray not black!
"Trim" is now an option color: body-color, or SG

View attachment 6788
While I'll give you that the vents and trim aren't black (carbon flash) they are a lot darker then Shark Gray. They almost look Cyber Gray. Shark Gray is right smack in between Blade Silver and Cyber Gray on the color chart.

Perhaps it's the camera's color balance.

Reactions: elegant

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John, I see you referred to that grille as a 2014 grille. Are the grilles changing on the StingRay for 2015, or only for the 2015 Z06? Thanks!
The only vehicles that GM's brought to the Bash that showed the front splitters for the Z06 (both stages 1 & 2) were the 2014 SEMA show cars (Atlantic and Pacific sub-models). Hence, wanted to point out that in the previous pictures you are seeing a 2014 grill. For 2015 the StingRay grills are not changing from the 2014's. And, as you know the Z06 grill will be very different, and unique to the Z06. However, nothing to prevent you from going to your local Chevy parts counter and buying a Z06 grill and putting it into your 2014 or your 2015 StingRay -- though you may want to wait until someone is brave enough to be the beta-tester for this change and hopefully do a "DIY/How To" for the rest of us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts