Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chief Z06 Design Engineer announced today that even the stage 1 Z06 will have a three-piece, "wicker bill spoiler," that the previously considered Z-51 spoiler, even as modified/enlarged will not provide enough downforce for the Z06, and thus has been eliminated from further consideration.

The above picture is the current version of the stage 2 spoiler; note that it does not have a center, translucent "wicker bill bridge" section that the Z07 spoiler will have.

However, take the above pictured stage 2 spoiler, and lower the two, outside, tall wicker bill sections by 30 cm (1 1/4"), and you have visualized what a stage 1 deck spoiler will look like (picture below). Note that unlike the Z07 spoiler, with its adjustable wicker bill bridge center-section, the stage 1 spoiler will not have visible nuts and bolts (nothing to adjust).

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Sorry not a lover of the design from the back it looks like it has wings....
I agree. I was expecting something more calm for the Stage 1.

Reactions: LT1xL82

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All Z06's have a little more rake than all StingRay's, i.e., the front is tilted down more for better front downforce. However, after extensive testing this summer, GM's learned that they needed better balance (more rear downforce); hence, why the current versions have bigger spoilers than did the initial ones, especially the initial stage 1 which was originally going to have the identical (same part number) Z-51 spoiler (but as we learned, no more....).

·
Registered
67 Posts
All Z06's have a little more rake than all StingRay's, i.e., the front is tiled down more for better overall downforce. However, after extensive testing this summer, GM's learned that they needed better balance (more rear downforce); hence, why the current versions have bigger spoilers than did the initial ones, especially the initial stage 1 which was originally going to have the identical (same part number) Z-51 spoiler (but as we learned, no more....).
Do all 3stages have the same size "vents" on the rear facia? If so I might buy the base/stage 1 and select from aftermarket for side areo

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes. The rear lower fascia is identical for all 2015 Corvettes, whether StingRays or Z06's. As the Z06 has a 3 inch wider fascia, the difference along the bottom part is that the "vertical side vents" are wider, and all Z06 vents are the same size regardless of stage.

Specifically asked that question today of Phil Minch, Corvette Engineer/Tadge's Assistant, and he said that keeping the rear fascia the same for both the StingRay and the Z06 saved tooling and production costs of about $1,000,000. Everywhere possible, except if it would be a performance compromise or create a secondary issue, GM has used StingRay parts in the Z06.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is the top of the rear deck lid of the Z06 wider than that of the base stingray? Are the drill holes for the spoiler the same?

I don't like this 3piece look, and I'd like to switch out the wicker bill for a z51 spoiler if it'll fit! (For my Z06 on order)
Am I crazy in my opinion on this or do others also feel the same way? Do you know if its do-able, or are the Z06s' decklids (as opposed,to just their fenders) much wider than a base/Z51 such that this wont work?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Well, the thought has gone through my head after reading this thread. But why worry if the Z51 spoiler will fit or not? Someone like Weapon-X can make a Z51 look-alike (or probably even better-looking) which WILL use the preexisting holes on the Z06 for mounting the spolier.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Is the top of the rear deck lid of the Z06 wider than that of the base stingray? Are the drill holes for the spoiler the same?

I don't like this 3piece look, and I'd like to switch out the wicker bill for a z51 spoiler if it'll fit! (For my Z06 on order)
Am I crazy in my opinion on this or do others also feel the same way? Do you know if its do-able, or are the Z06s' decklids (as opposed,to just their fenders) much wider than a base/Z51 such that this wont work?

Thanks in advance...
So no way of knowing at this point if the mounting points are the same as the Stingray. We can hope some after market company comes out with a cleaner look. My opinion it kills the clean look of the car and looks like some add on someone did for racing. I fully understand GM wants this to be functional but for many of us who are not racing we would be happier with a more aesthetically pleasing looking spoiler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now I'm confused. I thought stage 2 had the smaller winglets on the front spoiler. Maybe I can't see it, but the spoiler doesn't appear to have the winglets. I was under the impression that stage 1 didn't have the winglets. What say you Bob?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
John; Have you seen any figures for the differences in @ speed down force pressures between these different wings?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing concrete, though had a narrative conversation yesterday with Phil Minch, Tadge's Assistant and 30 year GM engineer, that those huge Z07 splitter end plates resulted in a "tremendous additional amount of front end downforce, that the front end will stick at amazing cornering speeds when they are present."

No data, "hard" or narrative, regarding the three spoiler options and their corresponding downforce measurements.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I would think that would imply a similar amount of down force would be required from the rear wing to maintain the car's handling balance.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would think that would imply a similar amount of down force would be required from the rear wing to maintain the car's handling balance.
The stage 1 front splitter is much smaller than in the stage 2 and the Z07. One can find the smaller splitter on the Atlantic version (the only place we have yet to see it). I measured it as having about 1" less distance (front to back) than the larger splitters in the stage 2/Z07 versions.

As the stage 2/Z07 splitters are about 1" "longer" (front to rear), they obviously create more downforce, and thus there is a need for the corresponding30cm (about 1 1/4" taller) deck spoiler -- which will be part of the StingRay CFZ option package and the stage 2/Z07 versions, as all Corvettes need the correct front to rear downforce ratio for optimal handling.

Note that the StingRay's CFZ aero package will also have the larger front splitter, for as Harlan said yesterday, the CFZ StingRay aero pieces are the same "size-wise and configuration-wise" as those found in the stage 2/Z07 cars (except of course that the Z07 also has the three additional, huge, detachable front end plates and the clear wicker bill bridge piece).

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Maybe there will be wind tunnel airflow / smoke videos showing the airflow over / around the car in the future. I love that stuff!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts