Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I moved from Va. Beach Va, to Fallon Nevada. Those of you who didn't grow up in Florida would incredulously ask, "Why would you willingly move from the beach?!" PM me for my response…… :rolleyes:

After arriving in Fallon I noticed a slight decrease in my Stingrays performance. It was so slight that the uninitiated would still be impressed, and the veteran 'Vette jockey would not be too disappointed. The car didn't feel slower, it just felt "less sharp".

I expected that the increase in altitude would effect the brake HP, so out of curiosity I found this little gem: Engine Tuning Calculator - using dew point. What I didn't expect was the 55-40 HP loss, depending on atmospherics.

What surprised me the most is that a difference of 10% BHP really isn't too noticeable. Remembering the days of riding ATV's and dirt bikes, a 10% horse power increase was huge! But with such a small, light and responsive machine, anything is noticeable.

Has anyone else experienced a change with altitude? If so, did you decide to leave the car stock, or did you mod anything?

·
Administrator
16,429 Posts
Interesting Todd. You are about 700 to 1000 feet above us (we are in the mountains south of Vegas), but I don't have any comparison of driving extended periods at sea level in RedHot except for brief times in Death Valley.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You should try Colorado and some of the elevation changes from Denver at 5280' to some of the passes around 10500' if not higher. Noticeable in the Vette? Not really. Just driving through them at a constant speed the Vette has more than enough power that you don't notice the elevation change. But a simple example of power and elevation is taking a 49cc scooter from 5280' to 8500'. The scooter will run and take a 200 pound man around the streets and up small hills OK. At the higher elevation the same scooter cannot even make the same hill grades. Solution, 150cc scooter.

Reactions: somethincreativ

·
Registered
170 Posts
I live at 6,100' in a suburb of Denver....and the thing to know is that it's an even playing field.
Everyone's vehicle has the same handicap, so relative to other cars you're still in one of the faster ones :cool:

A few bikes ago I had a Kawasaki ZX-14 - and while it didn't feel slow at altitude, whenever I rode it to the west coast it got quite a bit peppier.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Of course, forced induction cars, like the Z06 won't lose as much HP due to altitude.

Reactions: elegant

·
Administrator
16,429 Posts
A few bikes ago I had a Kawasaki ZX-14 - and while it didn't feel slow at altitude, whenever I rode it to the west coast it got quite a bit peppier.
Of course it did- you were going down hill all the way to the coast :rolleyes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Huge, HUGE difference here in Colorado Springs. I bought my first Vette in Austin, Texas and wen we moved to Colorado I felt a decrease in performance. (6,000' elevation). A CAI and B&B exhaust helped considerably but you could tell there was a decrease in performance. When we moved to Kentucky after that it was like driving a new car! Could barely keep it straight when driving like I did in Colorado; I was always breaking traction!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can't speak to altituded and the stingray. But I can say this. My C4 is a bit less fun to drive here in the south part of the Denver metro area (6k ft) than it was in the SF Bay Area. I figure the engine has dropped from 240 a bit under 200hp. But it's still more fun to drive spiritedly than my G37s sedan.

I'm hoping someone around here will put a Z06 on the dyno so we can see how the supercharger helps with the altitude issues.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Thanks for the post...good to know this information. Just remember, everyone you're racing is at the same altitude. LOL

Reactions: somethincreativ

·
Registered
145 Posts
You mean like this high?

2014-06-01 11 45 05 (3).jpg

I can't say I honestly noticed the loss of power. Of course, we were enjoying the beauty of it all and were in no rush.

I had my Piper Super cub up to 11,000 feet, full tanks, 2 people and gear with a bore prop in 10 deg weather...and that was down to 60 knots! Makes a huge difference when you start out with 460 hp vs 150 hp!!!

Kurt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts