Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new software glinch – I think. To date I have not had any software performance issues with the infotainment-system that have popped up on the various forums until now. Three times over the last two months, the SIRUS radio would not work. The symptoms only occur when you first start the car. The display, channel selection control and visual indication of volume control all appear to be normal but there was no sound. I could hear an AM station or FM station but no satellite. Turning the system off and on had no impact. After a 15 minute drive with the system off, turning the system back on had no impact – still no satellite radio. Sound from the SIRUS signal returned during the next restart. Anyone hear of this kind of issue. :(

·
Administrator
16,279 Posts
This has been reported by a few Stingray owners. You might want to visit your dealer and see if there is a software update that hasn't been done for your car re the infotainment center.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 1,400 miles on the car.
I have had the same thing happen a few times with my XM radio.
I also get the complete Information, screen locking up on me, this is at first start up, or sitting in the car and shutting it off then restart without leaving the car.
I am not able to make any buttons work on the center console screen or drivers view.
Including AC, Navigation, settings etc.
I have been turning the car off. Leave the car and then start up as the first start up of the day, and then it starts to work (not every time).

The XM radio scenario has been ongoing for a while. I think it may have to do with a strong signal at start up?

I took it in to the dealer on Friday 7/11for both issues.
There were not any updates or problems they could find.

Otherwise the car runs great !

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine seems to have a similar issue. Do you guys also have Nav? I do.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Of course it can be a real defect, but.....a possibility:

you said " The symptoms only occur when you first start the car"

yep, not so much a glitch, but on startup sometimes the computers don't get exactly a smooth flow of the current they need ( a surge) and don't run all the code in the right sequence.. It will happen sometimes. It has happened in many new cars I've driven in the past few years. The Audi A5 does it a lot. Try this:

1. before shutting down - turn off the my link system (power button)
2. on restart, let the car "settle in" for 15 secs and idle down to normal
3. power on the my link system.

a battery less than fully charged can trigger this problem too - esp if you start up with headlights, and other elec drains auto powered on...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I noticed that when I first start the car and put it in reverse to back out of garage I can't adjust the volume on the radio. Its like everything is devoted to the backup camera. After I put it in gear all is okay.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I noticed that when I first start the car and put it in reverse to back out of garage I can't adjust the volume on the radio. Its like everything is devoted to the backup camera. After I put it in gear all is okay.
Is it possible that's a safety item and that it was designed that way?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the thoughts. I will try turning the system off before I stop the engine and then power up the system after the engine restart. One other thing I noted which may be a safety issue. After putting the car in reverse, I was not able to open the compartment behind the screen to get my sun glasses. Probably to ensure the cam,era availability.
Geo

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine are not so much only when starting the car. They seem to be when transitioning between sat and fm stations. The other day I just had no sound thru the sat and I had a clear sky overhead. Had to restart it to get it to work correctly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am able to adjust the radio volume while in reverse by using the volume controls on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Of course it can be a real defect, but.....a possibility:

you said " The symptoms only occur when you first start the car"

yep, not so much a glitch, but on startup sometimes the computers don't get exactly a smooth flow of the current they need ( a surge) and don't run all the code in the right sequence.. It will happen sometimes. It has happened in many new cars I've driven in the past few years. The Audi A5 does it a lot. Try this:

1. before shutting down - turn off the my link system (power button)
2. on restart, let the car "settle in" for 15 secs and idle down to normal
3. power on the my link system.

a battery less than fully charged can trigger this problem too - esp if you start up with headlights, and other elec drains auto powered on...
I hope this isn't necessary!

Then again, that will be easier to deal with than my c6 eating batteries even though I put her in reverse every single time I parked. Ah....the joys of ownership of a new model!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just had the HMI (human machine interface) module replaced...center screen blanking out, loss of all functions including OnStar

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah Skip, I have that on two other cars (Land Rover and Veloster) when in reverse... they don't even let you adjust the volume (which is usually blasting when I shut down). I'm sure it's because they don't want you playing with buttons but want you looking at their backup screeen...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hate to criticize anything about the great C7, and I think the design team tried hard to make everything as nearly perfect as is possible, but the infotainment system has definite flaws. Several times, including when I first drove the car, it caused my ipod to freeze, and the only way to unfreeze it was to wait for the battery to run down. The system does not identify all the artists on my ipod, so sometimes the only way I can get it to play a particular album is to ask for it through the voice recognition. Browsing to find things is also not always easily done--sometimes it works fine, other times not. With my Scion, none of these issues exist. I think the sound is excellent, and when it works properly, it is wonderful. I just wish there could be some kind of a fix for the issues that exist, and so far I have not heard of any.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I hate to criticize anything about the great C7, and I think the design team tried hard to make everything as nearly perfect as is possible, but the infotainment system has definite flaws. Several times, including when I first drove the car, it caused my ipod to freeze, and the only way to unfreeze it was to wait for the battery to run down. The system does not identify all the artists on my ipod, so sometimes the only way I can get it to play a particular album is to ask for it through the voice recognition. Browsing to find things is also not always easily done--sometimes it works fine, other times not. With my Scion, none of these issues exist. I think the sound is excellent, and when it works properly, it is wonderful. I just wish there could be some kind of a fix for the issues that exist, and so far I have not heard of any.
Any iPod resets easily without batt run down....using google to find:

How to reset iPod, iPod (scroll wheel), iPod (touch wheel), and iPod (dock connector)

Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons simultaneously until the Apple/iPod logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Well guys, I got the same thing. Hit the On Star button and ask to speak to XM. Told them I had am/fm, visuals for XM and no sound at start up. A nice guy said he would download a "refresh" in a few minutes. He did and the music began. hope this helps someone! cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Any iPod resets easily without batt run down....using google to find:

How to reset iPod, iPod (scroll wheel), iPod (touch wheel), and iPod (dock connector)

Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons simultaneously until the Apple/iPod logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.
I tried all that--nothing worked. The top of the iPod screen had a bar that was labeled, "MyStar". Somehow the GM program, without my accessing it, froze the iPod in a manner that prevented it from being reset in the usual ways.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts