Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would encourage every owner of a Stingray to read the below post. State your opinion, plus or minus, and let Chevrolet know whether you think their Navigation System lives up to the high standards of the rest of the car or not.
I have been very disappointed in the Navigation System on my 3LT Z51 Stingray. Before I go any further, I want to emphasize that I really like the car. This is clearly the best overall Corvette of the 6 I have owned.

I started out just concerned that the System was slow to respond, prone to errors on addresses, did not have 3 route overlays or direct gps coordinate input, and does not include features that a) my 08 ZO6 Nav has, b) features that Garmin has, and c) features that other car makers (I have/had Toyota and Mercedes Benz Nav Systems) have. I have taken these concerns up with my dealer, and the Infotainment help desk (which is apparently a division of OnStar). They have told me the system is “operating as designed”.

I personally find this an unsatisfactory answer, for the reasons detailed below. Chevrolet offers a system (BringGo, a program similar to Toyota’s “Entune”) that integrates a IPhone (and I assume an Android phone) into the MyLink system for Navigation, Traffic and weather. Cost is $0.99 to try for 30 days, and $49.99/$59.99 (one time payment) for 3 years. Apparently no Sirius or OnStar connection required. (OnStar for Navigation help and Sirius for traffic and weather costs about $50/month +/-.) This program is only available in the Sonic and Spark car line’s, cars that cost 25 to 50% of a Stingray. Another issue is the “Remote Link” program. Again, this feature is only available (full features, including Navigation) if you take a OnStar subscription. Once your “complimentary” period ends and you let OnStar go, the only functions on the Remote Link are the ones on your key fob.

Basically, I would like Chevrolet to unlock the system, and allow full Iphone/Android phone integration as a software update.

Anyway, as you can tell, I am very unhappy about GM’s decision to tie my expensive built in Navigation system to Onstar and Sirius. Whether you agree or disagree, please state your opinion. I am told that Chevrolet monitors these boards, although the only response I have gotten is when I emailed them direct.

Reactions: luky7

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I agree but it won't change soon, too much profit involved. Eventually, open architecture will prevail, but not in the short term. Virtually every mfr is facing this predicament.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I will not be buying the nav/camera/data recorder option because of the decision to bundle the Nav with the camera/data recorder and raise the price by $1000, and dissatisfaction expressed by existing owners/users regarding the unit's performance without having to subscribe to additional monthly services.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
I would encourage every owner of a Stingray to read the below post. State your opinion, plus or minus, and let Chevrolet know whether you think their Navigation System lives up to the high standards of the rest of the car or not.
I have been very disappointed in the Navigation System on my 3LT Z51 Stingray. Before I go any further, I want to emphasize that I really like the car. This is clearly the best overall Corvette of the 6 I have owned.

I started out just concerned that the System was slow to respond, prone to errors on addresses, did not have 3 route overlays or direct gps coordinate input, and does not include features that a) my 08 ZO6 Nav has, b) features that Garmin has, and c) features that other car makers (I have/had Toyota and Mercedes Benz Nav Systems) have. I have taken these concerns up with my dealer, and the Infotainment help desk (which is apparently a division of OnStar). They have told me the system is “operating as designed”.

I personally find this an unsatisfactory answer, for the reasons detailed below. Chevrolet offers a system (BringGo, a program similar to Toyota’s “Enable”) that integrates a IPhone (and I assume an Android phone) into the MyLink system for Navigation, Traffic and weather. Cost is $0.99 to try for 30 days, and $49.99/$59.99 for 3 years. Apparently no Sirius or OnStar connection required. (OnStar for Navigation help and Sirius for traffic and weather costs about $50/month +/-.) This program is only available in the Sonic and Spark car line’s, cars that cost 25 to 50% of a Stingray. Another issue is the “Remote Link” program. Again, this feature is only available (full features, including Navigation) if you take a OnStar subscription. Once your “complimentary” period ends and you let OnStar go, the only functions on the Remote Link are the ones on your key fob.

Basically, I would like Chevrolet to unlock the system, and allow full Iphone/Android phone integration as a software update.

Anyway, as you can tell, I am very unhappy about GM’s decision to tie my expensive built in Navigation system to Onstar and Sirius. Whether you agree or disagree, please state your opinion. I am told that Chevrolet monitors these boards, although they only response I have gotten is when I emailed them direct.
rohard,

Thanks for your post. It is certainly not our or the dealer's intent to have you piqued about a matter such as this. The type of feedback you provided is essential to helping us improve our vehicles. As a result, I will document your suggestions into our system where it can be viewed and reviewed by multiple departments within GM.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 2011 Cadillac CTS-V had a much better nav and infotainment system. You would think that three years of technological I advancement would move you forward instead of back.

Reactions: All_Blk_Z

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I can make mine work but not without continuous learning and reading. The logic is not intuitive. Each time I do something I have to relearn the ways to do it. It is still miles ahead of the C6. I don't know if its the unit or if the instructions are unclear in the infotainment booklet. My wife who is computer savvy (more than me) had rather use her cell or I-Pad. She understands that the driver shouldn't use the system while driving but cant understand why the passenger cant. We have to stop the car to use the Nav. In order to be fair I actually don't know if its the Nav or us. I would buy it again--sounds like a contradiction. Analyze that. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I can't speak for the StingRay as I don't have one yet, but for the Cadillac ATS, my wife and I now just ignore the NAV as if it isn't even there and use Google Maps on our mobile Android devices.

Knowing what I know now, I seriously would not pay $10 for the NAV, because it is not worth $10 to me. I would prefer to spend the $10 on a pizza, since I can at least eat the pizza and feel it was worth it.

Reactions: Sciros and adem1534

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
rohard,

Thanks for your post. It is certainly not our or the dealer's intent to have you piqued about a matter such as this. The type of feedback you provided is essential to helping us improve our vehicles. As a result, I will document your suggestions into our system where it can be viewed and reviewed by multiple departments within GM.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
William,

Thank you for passing this information along to others in GM. I grew up in a GM family, and I am a GM fanboy. Although I did not support the government bailout of the banks, on the other hand, I did support the government giving loans to GM when GM needed it. Why do I say these things to you? To put in context that I am truly one of those Baseball/Apple Pie/Chevrolet guys (honestly, I am a huge fan of all three).

Having said that, the NAV is horrible in my wife's Cadillac ATS, and, from what I hear from these StingRay owners, they have the same types of problems we do. "I can't find your valid address. Turn left. No! Turn right! I cannot display real-time traffic without a subscription. I am useless for someone who lives in the Bay Area and needs something better than I can provide" says the GM NAV. Please, GM, throw it away, gut the personnel in the NAV development team (I hate to see fellow Americans lose their jobs, but really, those people need to be cleared out and GM can save those "development" costs). Don't try to reinvent the wheel so to speak, especially since GM has reinvented it so very, very poorly!

Don't try to compete with the NAV available on a smart phone. Those NAV programs are free with the phone, and do not require a separate monthly subscription fee. And they actually are reliable, and provide even more features than your NAV. Again, to recap: they are free, better, have more functionality, and are more reliable. GM will absolutely NEVER be able to compete in this space; it's not your core business. So, don't waste money trying, and failing. Just stop. You can't win that battle, even if you pour a ton of resources into it. Give up and partner with the best to do it for you (hint: Bing is not the solution).

Again, navigation is not GM's core business. Building great cars is GM's core business. Leave the NAV to others who know how to do it well. My suggestion is to allow the in-dash NAV screen to pass-through mobile phone connections to Google Maps, who do it the best of anyone out there. Just use the in-dash screen as a front-end interface, but link to Google Maps in the background. If the car is somewhere there is no mobile phone service (such as Big Sur) just use the crappy NAV engine you already have as a backup. Done.

Also, to put this in perspective, I work in the Silicon Valley for a high tech company (but it is not Google - we are in a different line of business, but I do admire Google's innovative technology). Although I know a ton of people who are more tech-savvy than I am, I am not technically challenged. It's not me. It's the NAV.

Thank you, and God bless America (including GM, which has been a huge part of the US for the last 100 years)!

Rodney

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
My navigation in my 2010 honda accord is better than the c7 but everything else about the c7 is 100 times better than my accord.

Reactions: rohard

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can add me to the list of 2015 orders that skipped the navigation system altogether, due to it being tied to the additional $1000 premium for cameras/PDR that I have no interest in.

Personally, I think there should be two options - one NAV only, and one with the rest. Instead, I'll be using my iPhone for any GPS needs I have. If there had been a NAV-only option, I would have included it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
On my order for the 2015 I also went to the 2LT so as not to have the new Nav and PDR set up due to what I hear from 2014 owners and due to price.

·
Registered
817 Posts
You can add me to the list of 2015 orders that skipped the navigation system altogether, due to it being tied to the additional $1000 premium for cameras/PDR that I have no interest in.

Personally, I think there should be two options - one NAV only, and one with the rest. Instead, I'll be using my iPhone for any GPS needs I have. If there had been a NAV-only option, I would have included it.
For the exact reasons what you posted, I think GM shot themselves in the foot bundling navigation and performance data recorder. I'll bend over and order the bundle...but many will not.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not only the Nav I think the rear view camera needs alot of work too. I just hope the PDR system is quality is good and not like the rear view camera.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got the nav and it works well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
810 Posts
I concur. Dear William with GM customer service, When I contacted customer service because I did not know how to upload POI files to add my 'favorite' POI's, I was told it could not be done. This began a cycle of phone calls seeking actual tech people for the Nav system that was like the search for the holy grail. I was given phone numbers for GM Nav Support, Navteq (or whatever it is called now)...'sorry, we only take orders for map updates'.....A totally frustrating experience of dealing with people that don't know what they are talking about. It was like asking a soccer mom how to program a VCR to record a show when all she knows how to do is stick a tape in the machine for her kid to watch.

It is 2014. I'm disappointed that our vehicles do not hover like the Jettsons. But for a GPS to be so primitive that files cannot be easily uploaded/downloaded (or for the manual to be so lacking or incorrect on this subject) disappointment turns to righteous anger, particularly when considering the premium cost of this built in system. I was wondering how Garmin was going to stay in business, as the market for portable stand alone GPS units seems to be dwindling. Until GM improves this product, I think Garmin will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've stated my opinion of the Nav and how it functioned for me on a 1000 mile trip on the other thread. In short, I'm satisfied with it. Could it be improved, sure. Would I buy it again, yes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will the Nav in the 2015 be any better?
Based on posts I have seen on this board, it will cost about $1,000 more (around $1,800) but include a performance data recorder (PDR) and camera. GM is apparently doubling down on the OnStar issue, by going to 4G of LTE on the communications side. As noted in rdsion01 above, GM is swimming against the current, trying to make it's system better than folks who have been in the business a long time and specialize in GPS and wireless communication. For the life of me, don't understand why they just don't license the software, and cut the price of builtin GPS to increase market share.

·
Registered
136 Posts
rohard,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

William/GM,

As your department heads sit around the table and discuss this issue....which I truly hope will happen....consider this. I am a future customer making my final tweaks to my 2015 Stingray "dream car" order. I want this car to be perfect because I feel that it will be the best car I will ever own. While I will not say that I not cutting any corners, I am working very hard to make sure that this car is as perfect for me as I can make it. Simply put....I really want a good nav system. I cringed when GM "bundled" the nav with the PDR, something I doubt I will ever use, but was willing to overlook that because of the value I place on a nav system integrated into the automobile (vice simply pulling out my cell phone as many have discussed on this forum). For $1795 you "need" to offer us something better. The reason I highlight "need" is because it needs to work as well as comparative in-dash navigation systems available today. I also own a 2013 Ford Explorer and I think it's nav system is pretty darn good. I have read enough in this forum to doubt that my future 2015 Stingray navigation system will be nearly as good....and therefore I am considering dropping this from my build plan.

Now....if I am willing to drop this, I cannot imagine how may others will forgo your system?!? William (and the rest of the Chevrolet Customer Care team), since you are monitoring this site and accepting feedback, how about providing us some feedback on how GM will address this issue? As of right now the nav system is off of my build sheet....but I want to put it back on. I would love to hear something from GM other than thanks for your feedback.

Today we are basically being asked to fork out an additional $1000 (for those who do not see the value in the PDR for their use) for a nav systems that does not seem to compare with many, if not all, of your competitors and having a system that, when compared to your budget vehicles, is handicapped on purpose as to not allow integration with your cell phone. As Rodney wrote earlier, stick to your core business of building awesome cars and leverage the better technology that is out there without trying to make an extra penny....because you will end us losing more pennies in the long run.....

A future Stingray Owner

AJ

Reactions: Ragtop
1 - 20 of 221 Posts