Stingray Corvette Forum banner

An Open Letter to Chevrolet Customer Service pertaining to the Nav System

52K views 220 replies 77 participants last post by  luky7 
#1 · (Edited)
I would encourage every owner of a Stingray to read the below post. State your opinion, plus or minus, and let Chevrolet know whether you think their Navigation System lives up to the high standards of the rest of the car or not.
I have been very disappointed in the Navigation System on my 3LT Z51 Stingray. Before I go any further, I want to emphasize that I really like the car. This is clearly the best overall Corvette of the 6 I have owned.

I started out just concerned that the System was slow to respond, prone to errors on addresses, did not have 3 route overlays or direct gps coordinate input, and does not include features that a) my 08 ZO6 Nav has, b) features that Garmin has, and c) features that other car makers (I have/had Toyota and Mercedes Benz Nav Systems) have. I have taken these concerns up with my dealer, and the Infotainment help desk (which is apparently a division of OnStar). They have told me the system is “operating as designed”.

I personally find this an unsatisfactory answer, for the reasons detailed below. Chevrolet offers a system (BringGo, a program similar to Toyota’s “Entune”) that integrates a IPhone (and I assume an Android phone) into the MyLink system for Navigation, Traffic and weather. Cost is $0.99 to try for 30 days, and $49.99/$59.99 (one time payment) for 3 years. Apparently no Sirius or OnStar connection required. (OnStar for Navigation help and Sirius for traffic and weather costs about $50/month +/-.) This program is only available in the Sonic and Spark car line’s, cars that cost 25 to 50% of a Stingray. Another issue is the “Remote Link” program. Again, this feature is only available (full features, including Navigation) if you take a OnStar subscription. Once your “complimentary” period ends and you let OnStar go, the only functions on the Remote Link are the ones on your key fob.

Basically, I would like Chevrolet to unlock the system, and allow full Iphone/Android phone integration as a software update.

Anyway, as you can tell, I am very unhappy about GM’s decision to tie my expensive built in Navigation system to Onstar and Sirius. Whether you agree or disagree, please state your opinion. I am told that Chevrolet monitors these boards, although the only response I have gotten is when I emailed them direct.

See less See more
Reactions: luky7
#3 ·
I will not be buying the nav/camera/data recorder option because of the decision to bundle the Nav with the camera/data recorder and raise the price by $1000, and dissatisfaction expressed by existing owners/users regarding the unit's performance without having to subscribe to additional monthly services.

#4 ·
I would encourage every owner of a Stingray to read the below post. State your opinion, plus or minus, and let Chevrolet know whether you think their Navigation System lives up to the high standards of the rest of the car or not.
I have been very disappointed in the Navigation System on my 3LT Z51 Stingray. Before I go any further, I want to emphasize that I really like the car. This is clearly the best overall Corvette of the 6 I have owned.

I started out just concerned that the System was slow to respond, prone to errors on addresses, did not have 3 route overlays or direct gps coordinate input, and does not include features that a) my 08 ZO6 Nav has, b) features that Garmin has, and c) features that other car makers (I have/had Toyota and Mercedes Benz Nav Systems) have. I have taken these concerns up with my dealer, and the Infotainment help desk (which is apparently a division of OnStar). They have told me the system is “operating as designed”.

I personally find this an unsatisfactory answer, for the reasons detailed below. Chevrolet offers a system (BringGo, a program similar to Toyota’s “Enable”) that integrates a IPhone (and I assume an Android phone) into the MyLink system for Navigation, Traffic and weather. Cost is $0.99 to try for 30 days, and $49.99/$59.99 for 3 years. Apparently no Sirius or OnStar connection required. (OnStar for Navigation help and Sirius for traffic and weather costs about $50/month +/-.) This program is only available in the Sonic and Spark car line’s, cars that cost 25 to 50% of a Stingray. Another issue is the “Remote Link” program. Again, this feature is only available (full features, including Navigation) if you take a OnStar subscription. Once your “complimentary” period ends and you let OnStar go, the only functions on the Remote Link are the ones on your key fob.

Basically, I would like Chevrolet to unlock the system, and allow full Iphone/Android phone integration as a software update.

Anyway, as you can tell, I am very unhappy about GM’s decision to tie my expensive built in Navigation system to Onstar and Sirius. Whether you agree or disagree, please state your opinion. I am told that Chevrolet monitors these boards, although they only response I have gotten is when I emailed them direct.
rohard,

Thanks for your post. It is certainly not our or the dealer's intent to have you piqued about a matter such as this. The type of feedback you provided is essential to helping us improve our vehicles. As a result, I will document your suggestions into our system where it can be viewed and reviewed by multiple departments within GM.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#8 · (Edited)
William,

Thank you for passing this information along to others in GM. I grew up in a GM family, and I am a GM fanboy. Although I did not support the government bailout of the banks, on the other hand, I did support the government giving loans to GM when GM needed it. Why do I say these things to you? To put in context that I am truly one of those Baseball/Apple Pie/Chevrolet guys (honestly, I am a huge fan of all three).

Having said that, the NAV is horrible in my wife's Cadillac ATS, and, from what I hear from these StingRay owners, they have the same types of problems we do. "I can't find your valid address. Turn left. No! Turn right! I cannot display real-time traffic without a subscription. I am useless for someone who lives in the Bay Area and needs something better than I can provide" says the GM NAV. Please, GM, throw it away, gut the personnel in the NAV development team (I hate to see fellow Americans lose their jobs, but really, those people need to be cleared out and GM can save those "development" costs). Don't try to reinvent the wheel so to speak, especially since GM has reinvented it so very, very poorly!

Don't try to compete with the NAV available on a smart phone. Those NAV programs are free with the phone, and do not require a separate monthly subscription fee. And they actually are reliable, and provide even more features than your NAV. Again, to recap: they are free, better, have more functionality, and are more reliable. GM will absolutely NEVER be able to compete in this space; it's not your core business. So, don't waste money trying, and failing. Just stop. You can't win that battle, even if you pour a ton of resources into it. Give up and partner with the best to do it for you (hint: Bing is not the solution).

Again, navigation is not GM's core business. Building great cars is GM's core business. Leave the NAV to others who know how to do it well. My suggestion is to allow the in-dash NAV screen to pass-through mobile phone connections to Google Maps, who do it the best of anyone out there. Just use the in-dash screen as a front-end interface, but link to Google Maps in the background. If the car is somewhere there is no mobile phone service (such as Big Sur) just use the crappy NAV engine you already have as a backup. Done.

Also, to put this in perspective, I work in the Silicon Valley for a high tech company (but it is not Google - we are in a different line of business, but I do admire Google's innovative technology). Although I know a ton of people who are more tech-savvy than I am, I am not technically challenged. It's not me. It's the NAV.

Thank you, and God bless America (including GM, which has been a huge part of the US for the last 100 years)!

Rodney

#6 ·
I can make mine work but not without continuous learning and reading. The logic is not intuitive. Each time I do something I have to relearn the ways to do it. It is still miles ahead of the C6. I don't know if its the unit or if the instructions are unclear in the infotainment booklet. My wife who is computer savvy (more than me) had rather use her cell or I-Pad. She understands that the driver shouldn't use the system while driving but cant understand why the passenger cant. We have to stop the car to use the Nav. In order to be fair I actually don't know if its the Nav or us. I would buy it again--sounds like a contradiction. Analyze that. cutnout aka Charlie

#7 ·
I can't speak for the StingRay as I don't have one yet, but for the Cadillac ATS, my wife and I now just ignore the NAV as if it isn't even there and use Google Maps on our mobile Android devices.

Knowing what I know now, I seriously would not pay $10 for the NAV, because it is not worth $10 to me. I would prefer to spend the $10 on a pizza, since I can at least eat the pizza and feel it was worth it.

Reactions: Sciros and adem1534
#11 ·
My navigation in my 2010 honda accord is better than the c7 but everything else about the c7 is 100 times better than my accord.

Reactions: rohard
#12 ·
You can add me to the list of 2015 orders that skipped the navigation system altogether, due to it being tied to the additional $1000 premium for cameras/PDR that I have no interest in.

Personally, I think there should be two options - one NAV only, and one with the rest. Instead, I'll be using my iPhone for any GPS needs I have. If there had been a NAV-only option, I would have included it.

#13 ·
On my order for the 2015 I also went to the 2LT so as not to have the new Nav and PDR set up due to what I hear from 2014 owners and due to price.

#17 ·
I concur. Dear William with GM customer service, When I contacted customer service because I did not know how to upload POI files to add my 'favorite' POI's, I was told it could not be done. This began a cycle of phone calls seeking actual tech people for the Nav system that was like the search for the holy grail. I was given phone numbers for GM Nav Support, Navteq (or whatever it is called now)...'sorry, we only take orders for map updates'.....A totally frustrating experience of dealing with people that don't know what they are talking about. It was like asking a soccer mom how to program a VCR to record a show when all she knows how to do is stick a tape in the machine for her kid to watch.

It is 2014. I'm disappointed that our vehicles do not hover like the Jettsons. But for a GPS to be so primitive that files cannot be easily uploaded/downloaded (or for the manual to be so lacking or incorrect on this subject) disappointment turns to righteous anger, particularly when considering the premium cost of this built in system. I was wondering how Garmin was going to stay in business, as the market for portable stand alone GPS units seems to be dwindling. Until GM improves this product, I think Garmin will be just fine.

#18 ·
I've stated my opinion of the Nav and how it functioned for me on a 1000 mile trip on the other thread. In short, I'm satisfied with it. Could it be improved, sure. Would I buy it again, yes.

#21 ·
OK, as I read this thread (as I originated it), I would also like to give GM some additional information that might help them make a decision to improve the Nav System and make it free standing from OnStar. I am not as concerned about first cost (paid $1,750 for builtin GPS on my ZO6) as the ongoing costs.

So, when you comment on the system for (hopefully) GM review, say whether you like OnStar, and will continue beyond the 6 month complimentary program, and whether you will continue the Sirius traffic and weather. (This is additional cost, beyond the basic radio, and limited.)

I will not be renewing my OnStar or my Sirius Traffic and Weather. I may or may not continue Sirius radio depends on promotions available when my year runs out.

Guys/Gals, this is a chance to let GM know what you are thinking. I really want them to take care of the early adapters and unlock our existing MyLink system to at least a "BringGo" standard.

#24 · (Edited)
Guys/Gals, this is a chance to let GM know what you are thinking. I really want them to take care of the early adapters and unlock our existing MyLink system to at least a "BringGo" standard.
Honestly, the decision makers on this don't read here and the chevy CR guy may say he's passing it on, but it'll only go so far - and not far enuf. If you want to make a dent in this subject write a letter to Chevrolet -Detroit expressing your disappointment - every letter HAS to be logged in and get to the right people who tally this stuff. Believe it or not, hard copy letters still get huge attention vs email, and wayyyy down the list is forums....why? - because they don't know who you are, no VIN attached to it, poss a competitor or it could be a person just trying to spam the system or people that don't even own a new C7! Just telling you how car companies work, as I spent 30 years with 3 of them on the corporate side, and 4 years in customer relations, 2 year in product planning.

#23 · (Edited)
I use this in all 3 vehicles...'13 Wrangler...'14 Grand Caravan
Tough to beat GARMIN...no factory NAV...OnStar expired...Sirius expired
nüvi® 2597LMT $160 new
5" display w/voice activated NAV
free lifetime map updates / free lifetime traffic alerts
Garmin Real Directions w/Garmin Real Voice
Active Lane Guidance w/voice prompts
photoReal & Bird’s Eye junction views

#25 ·
In my wife's car, we did NOT continue Sirius XM and OnStar.

#27 ·
I too have no interest in continuing OnStar and Sirius in my StingRay. I am not adverse to them, I just don't need them in a car that is not my DD. The Vette, so far, has been mostly a weekend toy to put the top down on nice days, cruise locally, and to take to dinner. I look forward to starting it up, driving it, and just looking at it. I dread winter time when I can't take it out. But, I dread winters anyway. Always did--except as a kid when I could miss school. I don't mean to get away from the thread, but the NAV also doesn't mean too much to me. The first time I ever used it was 2 weeks after I got the car; it got me very lost in St. Louis when I was going for my Xpel install--far out my way from the programmed destination. So, I don't trust it and don't use it. I do use the BT connection to stream music from my iPhone all the time (except when I need to hear the exhaust howl).

#32 · (Edited)
I will also be passing on the Navigation option because of the bundle. Honestly - the navigation app on my Samsung Galaxy S4, which is free, is absolutely GORGEOUS. Most nav apps on cell phones (even the iphone, yuck) are wonderful. The only reason I would get a Nav is because sometimes I may not have my car charger and it drains my battery. It's also nice to have the Nav as part of the car - it just feels right.

But good lord, bundling it with the PDR? What a mistake. The navigation isn't even worth 750 dollars.

I repeat again - My S4's free navigation app is aesthetically pleasing (beautiful), extremely well working, has live traffic, an incredible user interface, and also speaks to me as I drive like a car's nav.

As someone who does not care for the PDR, they seriously cannot expect me to pay 1750 for a navigation system which can be replaced with a better functioning, better looking, and smoother application on my phone that is FREE.

Actually, for the current navigation system, I'd pay maybe 200 dollars.

If I had to buy a navigation system, I'd rather just buy a completely new Galaxy S4 or HTC M8 and mount it in my car, because the Nav apps are that much better.

I agree with the other user earlier; GM should invest money in making a pairing system (perhaps through bluetooth) that will use the Car's display to project the phone's screen output. But before that; have the entire computer system changed to operate on an open operating system, like Android or Linux.

#33 ·
...As someone who does not care for the PDR, they seriously cannot expect me to pay 1750 for a navigation system which can be replaced with a better functioning, better looking, and smoother application on my phone that is FREE....

...I agree with the other user earlier; GM should invest money in making a pairing system (perhaps through bluetooth) that will use the Car's display to project the phone's screen output. But before that; have the entire computer system changed to operate on an open operating system...
I absolutely agree.

#34 ·
My C7 fortunately does not have Nav system because I already knew I would be disappointed. My C6 ZR1 came with Nav and it lasted 2 weeks before I was ready to jamb a knife in the display. I replaced it with a Kenwood Garmin unit with lifetime Sirius and traffic, it works the way a Nav should.

My current solution for the C7 is a portable Garmin 7" display lifetime maps and traffic for $199. I will wait for an aftermarket unit that will integrate into the C7 CAN Buss with Garmin Nav engine.

When I spoke to Harlan Charles last year he said the C7 Nav would be better than the C6, your not there yet Harlan.

I do not plan to renew the OnStar, (nor did I renew on my ZR1) I see no value in it, it's just a glorified cell phone and I have one of those. I will transfer my lifetime Sirius receiver from 2002 Z06 that I traded in when I get the aftermarket Nav system.

VIN 1G1YD2D72E55125367

#35 ·
WB6HRO, is sounds like you have the ultimate solution if GM isn't going to do something themselves. Once you get this integrated into the C7 CAN Bus, please give us all the details.

Thanks!!!

#36 ·
Rodney,

They have already done it for the Tahoe and some other models, but have not done the C7 as it has to be integrated with the existing screen and the Corvette is the smaller market share.

I'm sure Kenwood, JVC, Alpine, or Rosen Electronics will come out with something in a year or so.

Joe

#39 ·
Well I drove from OKC to Santa Fe NM yesterday. The navigation system insisted I leave i40 and go through Las Vegas NM to get to Santa Fe.
Per mapquest, preferred route is stay on I-40 till clines corner (285?), which is 8 hours 8 minutes, 537.39 miles. The corvette gps route was 562.98 miles, 8 hours 33 minutes.
This issue would very simply be taken care of by allowing the GPS to give a 3 route overlay, as the C6 build of the Nav does. Yes, I know that you can build 3 routes on stingray system, fast, short, and "Eco". However, they are separate screens, (no overlay), and system is painfully slow.

As to my VIN, both Charles and Lisa of Chevrolet customer service have it. I intend to write GM a letter when I get home as suggested above. I finally have a trouble ticket open after my quality survey was returned to Chevy complaining about the navigation system.
Any Nav system may give a bad route, the trick is to give user a choice.

Right now, telling me system is "operating as designed" doesn't answer question. I am interested in what GM is going to do about it for current owners and the 2015's. The last "built in" cell phone I actually wanted was in a car was in the 90's. To upgrade Onstar to 4g and a mobile hotspot is a step back, not forward. Integrating a customers smartphone into MyLink is a step forward. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

#41 ·
Ed, I'm sure they included it in the online version of the manual. After all, that can be updated daily if need be. Right? BTW, If I owned GM, I would be very interested in all these forum comments. And I would have staff dedicated to sorting through and implementing suggestions. Problem is, there is no single ownership, so nobody really cares. Happens every time a company gets too big.:(

#42 ·
Ragtop,

No changes to the online manual. Don't know if you caught my thread a while back, but they forgot the pages about how to upload POIs to the Nav unit (My $79 Garmin dos it). I found it by accident by looking at the Cadillac manuals! But the example they gave was incorrect, pointed to a place in Germany that our navs wouldn't recognize, and had formatting errors! With all that figured out, straightened out and documented for them by me, when I then asked them why only POIs within a certain radius would load, they responded "It's working as designed"

Ed

#46 ·
I have noticed that for some reason as much as we all love this car there are a few issues... I have also noticed for some reasons there is a group on the fourm that does not want any of these issues to be talked about....

That being said the Nav. has issues and it is not just a Corvette issue. I have a 2014 Impaula LTZ with Nav. very close to the system in the 2014 Corvette. The Nav. is very good but my Nav. in my Iphone is better. OnStar is ok but to much for the Turn by Turn opt. and again my Iphone is better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.