Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014-Chevrolet-Corvette-Insurance-Auto-Auctions-e1410093939203-638x340.jpg

Thanks to GMAuthority.com for the photo and verbage below.

At a bit over 50 grand, the C7 Corvette Stingray has few equals when it comes to performance and value. Still, it’s a bit out of reach for the average American who can’t spend more than $30-35,000 for a vehicle that seats two to three times as many people. For you average Americans, we have the car for you!

As LSX TV reports, Insurance Auto Auctions has a fire sale of sorts on a particular Stingray. This one melted so bad that it’s barely recognizable aside of the wheels. Can you tell it originally was black/black? What other parts are salvageable? Seems somewhat amusing that Geico Insurance is trying to salvage something from this wreck, but it’s quite possible the Bloomington crowd may find a piece or two for their C7 restoration in 30 years.

But some big questions remain: What happened? Is the driver (and passenger) okay? And what did (s)he do with the insurance money? Hopefully everyone involved was okay, and a new Corvette was bought as a replacement.

Read more: Insurance Company Looking To Salvage This C7 | GM Authority

·
Registered
185 Posts
None of this is salvageable, come on. What are they even hoping for? It looks 100.0% destroyed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I agree, it looks like it was creamated or was owned by a Viking you was sending it on to Valhalla.

In Norse mythology, Valhalla (from Old Norse Valhöll "hall of the slain"[1]) is a majestic, enormous hall located in Asgard, ruled over by the god Odin. Chosen by Odin, half of those who die in combat travel to Valhalla upon death, led by valkyries, while the other half go to the goddess Freyja's field Fólkvangr. In Valhalla, the dead join the masses of those who have died in combat known as Einherjar, as well as various legendary Germanic heroes and kings, as they prepare to aid Odin during the events of Ragnarök. Before the hall stands the golden tree Glasir, and the hall's ceiling is thatched with golden shields.

Reactions: cutnout

·
Registered
329 Posts
What's the story as far as the injuries (& Hopefully no Fatalities) on these C7 disasters, shown on this page & others? Several may not have had any occupants when the tragedy happened(fires).
Anyone catch on of the News stories?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Reactions: Sciros

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Something fish about that photo.
What are the two wheels on top of the car? Looks like a piece of woods pointing to the right. (Has a yellow broken end)
And what looks like a strip of corrugated siding on top also.

Reactions: Raydor

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
As for salvage, major insurers have contracts with certain salvors. It gives them a fixed % of the vehicle's pre-loss value, regardless of condition. Some cars, the salvor makes out like a bandit. On others, like the charred wreck in the photo, not so much...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Geico should think about selling it to one of the muesums here in DC. I have seen worse looking "modern art" in the galleries. The artist could call it:

"Let me explain...."

or

"There I was....."

LOL:cool:

Reactions: Mobius and Sciros

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Looks like the botched results of one of those auto show paint sealant demonstrations, where the salesman puts some lighter fluid on the hood, lights it, extinguishes the fire, wipes the surface with a wet rag, and shows everything is good as new.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
What are the two wheels on top of the car? Looks like a piece of woods pointing to the right. (Has a yellow broken end)
53Vette, I agree with you on this one, I've seen the picture all over the net with no story attached to it.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
281 Posts
The first thing I noted was the second steering wheel. I am not buying it.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
The first thing I noted was the second steering wheel. I am not buying it.
I noticed that too.

I thought that the steering wheel may be manufactured in two "halves", and that's what we are seeing **shrug**, but the two wheels are in very different positions in the debris.

Reactions: Raydor
1 - 20 of 30 Posts