Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My C7 two year oil change "benefit" is coming to an end in a few months. Since it will end in dead of winter, I'm not going to schedule an oil change then. I thought maybe I should get the 3rd oil change in November. Right now my oil monitor is 60% and its been about 3,000 miles since the 2nd one of the authorized 4 in the first two years for my car.

My estimate is I will have an oil monitoring percent of about 50 in November including another thousand miles on the car since no big trips with it are scheduled. It would be the last change in the 2 years.

So the Q is, even though its free and I've only used two, is it overkill to get my oil changed? Would you? What feedback have folks received from their dealer when requesting the "free" oil changes with plenty of oil capacity left?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Based on your join date I'm guessing your 2 years is up this winter. Get it changed and buy yourself some time.

Reactions: Boomer

·
Registered
952 Posts
I would stretch it out to get the last one on the week before the 2 years is up giving you effectively another 6 months or so before you have to pay for one, at around $100 at my dealership anyway.....

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Can't hurt anything to change it early.

·
18,667 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm just going to put this right here. IMO it is ridiculous to think that oil degrades in the bottle, or sitting in your car with no extreme heat. Petroleum-based oils generally require replacement every 3,500 to 7,500 miles, depending on service use. Synthetic oils can easily offer double the service life as their chemical composition does not break downover time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
oil may be the cheapest insurance of all for protecting a motor. The computer monitors your oil life, why not use it? I like to change my oil when the computer says 35% remaining. That is typically about 4k-5k miles, on Mobil 1. I live in So. Cal and get the engine temp up during my drive. I try not to take short trips (1-5 miles) because repeatedly failing to get the temp up will cause oil to break down faster and produce shorter oil life. These of course are simply my opinions, but I have a lot of car ownership and driving experience to support my opinions. We all have our "secrets for longer engine life", but quality oil and clean filters (oil and air) might be the most important things we can do.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, current '16 Z06
9,117 Posts
I drive mine, 47K now, I change about every 4,000 mi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts