Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Shawn.

Not sure if you have had time to look through all forum posts regarding the paint on many, if not all, C7s. Some folks coin the old "orange peel" expression while others disagree. Regardless of what you call it, it's far from a great job. Based on your portfolio, it doesn't appear that you have attempted any paint correction to a C7, as yet. That's certainly understandable. That said, if you haven't already seen one, up close and personal, may I respectfully suggest that you do so and post an opinion. Until recently, I wasn't considering any 'correction' but I'm starting to rethink it.

Looking forward to your thoughts when you have taken a personal look.
To answer your question every factory has swirl marks and imperfections in the paint. Every vrhicle also has some level of orange peel to it. Some vehicles have more then other. Also some colors will reveal more imperfections then others.

What you have to take into account when wetsanding orange peel out there is a minimum standard of clear that needs to be on the vehicle before the clear starts to fail. Before wetsananding or buffing sny vrhivle it is important to measure the thicknest of the paint. This will give you an idea of how much room you have to play with.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Sean - after we talked, I tried the car pro denim and the MF pads- both Xcut and std- and still ended up going back to 3M 3000 grit pad on the orbital and then polishing back out with fg400 on a foam/wool rotary set up. I also bought a new 3rd gen griots orbital for the sf4500 with white pad. The new orbital is MUCH better than my PC or old griots. It reduced the OP probably 75% and a livable level. Thanks for your help. I have used the MF pads for a OP spoiler cleanup and they worked great.

I don't have a "before" pic, but it was a muddy reflection, now is much better:

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car l8oks grest Glen. When wetsanding a factory paint job I wouldnt use anything more aggresive them a 3000 gritt sand paper you could go a little more agressive but you are risking the integrsty of the clear and how well it will protect the paint on the vehicle

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Car l8oks grest Glen. When wetsanding a factory paint job I wouldnt use anything more aggresive them a 3000 gritt sand paper you could go a little more agressive but you are risking the integrsty of the clear and how well it will protect the paint on the vehicle
Thanks sean, the secret that made the job go fast was the Velcro pad 3000 grit with water spray mounted to the griots with low speed...made the surface super uniform with no hand sand scratches, polish brought it right back out. Naturally and creases any bends taped off, flat surfaces only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.