Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a method to repair a tear/chip in Xpel? As I've noted in other threads, I was very disappointed to discover, one week after getting Xpel put on the nose of my Z06, two stone chips that cut through the Xpel and chipped the paint. Not very impressed with Xpel so far, especially after $700+ spent only 100 miles earlier. At least without Xpel I could fill and repaint a paint chip. Now what do I do? Can I fill a little color then use some clear silicone type material to repair the Xpel? Or would that look worse? Does such a product even exist? Or do I have to remove the Xpel, fix the chips then get new Xpel? Not economically a great idea I think. Or am I stuck with just living with it? Not my favorite idea either. A dilemma; any ideas would be appreciated. --Bob

XpelChip (3).JPG XpelChip (4).JPG

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,279 Posts
Can you take it back to the installer? Most reputable firms will stand by the warranty, that's been our situation near me, if there is a flaw, our guy will repair it. I don't think you can do spot repairs with these coverings, usually the whole area will be replaced with new. Best of luck on the fix. As far as the stone chips, sometimes they hit the car as mini-projectiles, the plastic is not stopping that damage.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Must have been something very large wacked you, as Xpel can take quite a good hit with zero damage. With that said, just touch up the chip as you would without the Xpel, a little color to fill in the chip. Don't try putting silicone or anything over it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
As it ages more and more the tear will expand. One reason I do not use it the other is I like to keep my vehicle at a higher level of detail that the film will permit... If you are just a normal wash and wax kind of guy the films might work.

·
Registered
631 Posts
As it ages more and more the tear will expand. One reason I do not use it the other is I like to keep my vehicle at a higher level of detail that the film will permit... If you are just a normal wash and wax kind of guy the films might work.
Respectfully, my experience has been just the opposite. Agree with Norm's comment about how large and/or sharp the stones were, and that film can not stop anything that is really significant. Don't think the warranty covers repair of a major hit? Mine has protected against some flying stuff that would certainly have chipped the paint without it, and it's self healing capability from minor knicks is amazing. I maintain a very high level of detail and find that the film is fully compatible with perfectionist's detailing. I've seen many truly spectacular six figure machines with Xpel. Also, in my experience the damaged area should not expand unless it has very ragged edges. Tough to repair but you might try some touch up paint…nothing to lose. Unfortunately, replacement of at least a section to the nearest body seam is probably the only good solution. Good luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow! Those are quite the stone chips. More like rocks falling from the sky (or from a dump truck) or something. I've had XPEL for 5000+ miles and have had very good results.
Some rock dings that barely touched the film, let alone the paint. Just think if you didn't have the XPEL what might have happened! As said already, your installer should be able to give you the best advice. My understanding is that the folks at XPEL corporate (TX) are very helpful as well. If you don't get satisfaction from your dealer, I'd call them directly. Sorry for the blemish and good luck!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'd check with your installer also - some of them will replace damaged sections for free or for a very significant discount. I think its important to remember that these PPFs are not really meant to be permanent (IMHO). They are there to take the hits and normal wear and tear and in time be removed or replaced.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Can you take it back to the installer? Most reputable firms will stand by the warranty, that's been our situation near me, if there is a flaw, our guy will repair it. I don't think you can do spot repairs with these coverings, usually the whole area will be replaced with new. Best of luck on the fix. As far as the stone chips, sometimes they hit the car as mini-projectiles, the plastic is not stopping that damage.
True, Norm--whatever hit was sharp and/or going fast. I took it to the installer but he did not offer to fix as a warranty item (which I understand). He did say he would contact Xpel to see if they know of any fix or improvement available. I have not heard from him though. He did think it would be a good idea if Xpel offered something like a clear filler that could be used. The installer has been a good group and I expect that if pushed they would replace the torn sheet at a discount, but that would mean having to repair the paint chip first, which is time consuming to allow the paint layers to dry thoroughly. For the time being, as others here have suggested, I think I may just carefully trim any loose plastic and color the chip as best I can. If I can convince myself that it would improve things I might try some kind of clear silicone to finish it. But not sure about that yet. --Bob

Reactions: Norm

·
Registered
69 Posts
Expel has a 10yr warranty because I have it. Take it back to the installer and or call Expel that simple.
Does anyone know of a method to repair a tear/chip in Xpel? As I've noted in other threads, I was very disappointed to discover, one week after getting Xpel put on the nose of my Z06, two stone chips that cut through the Xpel and chipped the paint. Not very impressed with Xpel so far, especially after $700+ spent only 100 miles earlier. At least without Xpel I could fill and repaint a paint chip. Now what do I do? Can I fill a little color then use some clear silicone type material to repair the Xpel? Or would that look worse? Does such a product even exist? Or do I have to remove the Xpel, fix the chips then get new Xpel? Not economically a great idea I think. Or am I stuck with just living with it? Not my favorite idea either. A dilemma; any ideas would be appreciated. --Bob

View attachment 53081 View attachment 53089

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I had 2 small chips lower in the front. The paint is not chipped just the mark is in the xpel. I ran it over to the installer today. His advice was to take a small wooden dowel rod and sharpen the end in a pencil sharpener. Then dab the point into touch up paint and hit the mark with it lightly. He said the white you see is the adhesive and your coloring that so you don't notice it. He said it can heal from scratches but not from stones hitting it when they go that deep.

·
Registered
305 Posts
At Las Vegas Barrett Jackson last year Expell had a booth. They scrubbed it with a wire brush then used a heat gun on it and all marks dissapeared. This is why I had it installed on 3 cars but now that I think about it would enough heat to fix the expel hurt the paint.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Bob, that must have been a nasty object to cause that much damage. I'm curious to hear what Xpel tells the installer. I have 13000 on our C7 masterpiece, not one ding, scratch, or chip. I've been very lucky and fortunate.

SF
Rick

Reactions: Mack

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bob, that must have been a nasty object to cause that much damage. I'm curious to hear what Xpel tells the installer. I have 13000 on our C7 masterpiece, not one ding, scratch, or chip. I've been very lucky and fortunate.

SF
Rick
I agree Rick--it must have been something sharp but I do not remember getting hit. Usually a hit required to cut it like that is one I would remember. I may try Xpel or the installer again but I understand that at some point an object hitting the car may just be too much for the Xpel. I was hoping I, too, would have your kind of luck but it was not to be. Perhaps you could buy some lottery tickets for me? --Bob

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
The warranty is for material defects with the film, and/or workmanship defects with the installer. In the case of a sharp stone going the whole way through the film, that is not warrantied. That is not their fault.

Also, I know they clearly specify that the film will self-heal unless it is penetrated the whole way through.

I am sorry, Bob, but strictly speaking, they have done nothing wrong here.

Having said that, I think there is a pretty good chance that my SunTek installer might fix it for free just as a goodwill gesture on his part.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The warranty is for material defects with the film, and/or workmanship defects with the installer. In the case of a sharp stone going the whole way through the film, that is not warrantied. That is not their fault.

Also, I know they clearly specify that the film will self-heal unless it is penetrated the whole way through.

I am sorry, Bob, but strictly speaking, they have done nothing wrong here.

Having said that, I think there is a pretty good chance that my SunTek installer might fix it for free just as a goodwill gesture on his part.
I don't disagree with you Rodney. I agree they have done nothing wrong and it is not their fault. My bad luck. My installer has been a good guy but I don't think I will press him hard on this. Just disappointing for me. Oh well, I will try to think of some way to improve it without replacing the whole thing. --Bob

Reactions: rdslon01

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
I am truly sorry it happened, Bob. I hope you find resolution which is acceptable to you (in one form or another).

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Well sorry it happened as well but when you play sometimes ya gotta pay. This stuff is not woven Kevlar for crying out loud. It is made to be replaced on a regular basis depending on your personal level of tolerance for outward appearance.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well sorry it happened as well but when you play sometimes ya gotta pay. This stuff is not woven Kevlar for crying out loud. It is made to be replaced on a regular basis depending on your personal level of tolerance for outward appearance.
Now THAT'S what we need--a Kevlar bra!--Bob

·
18,667 Posts
In touring 28 states in our C7, we had two rock chips that penetrated our front fascia’s XPEL. Nothing sorrowfully that can be done when that happens but either replace it or try to never see it (and we all know the latter never happens).

However, when my detailed removed the damaged XPEL pice and held it up to the light, he and I could literally see 50+ impact marks where something had hit but not penetrated it.

We will be having XPEL again installed on our C8.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts