Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
I haven't picked up the C7 yet (11 more days), but was wondering how difficult it is to change the oil on our own.

Now you have to compare it to a C5. I did all of my own oil changes on my 1998 Indy Pace Car that I owned for 12 years. It wasn't real simple but not really a hard job. I never owned a C6, so do not know the difficulty of that gen.

So is it any easier, harder or the same?:confused:

Hate to bring it to the "stealership" if I don't have to.

Thanks!

·
18,670 Posts

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
I thought it came with 2 year free services?
Not to worry, it most certainly does. However there are still owners who like to do their own and/or an early one after break in. :cool:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it came with 2 year free services?
My dealer told me I would have to pay the difference for the synthetic Mobil 1, so my "free" oil change would still cost me about 50 bucks!:mad:

Does this sound right?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
My dealer told me I would have to pay the difference for the synthetic Mobil 1, so my "free" oil change would still cost me about 50 bucks!:mad:

Does this sound right?
Mark; It does because GM wants you to use their "own house blend" of a Dexos spec. oil.GM dexos information center Mobil 1 meets and exceeds the Dexos standard and would cost the dealership more to use. These days a "free" anything seems to have $$$ attached to it. As to your question: As long as your car is not a Z-51 with a dry sump (and it's not, right?) I don't believe you will find it to be very different from your previous vette.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Chip!
No... not Z51 So I will probably do my own rather than some greasy, non-C7 technician do it, especially if I have to pay extra for Mobil1. And if I did pay.... who knows if they really put that in?:eek: (Just the investigative NBC Dateline or 20/20 in me talking!)

·
Registered
317 Posts

Does this sound right?
Not at all.2 years free maintenance means just that.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

Does this sound right?
Not at all.2 years free maintenance means just that.
Mobil 1 is no longer a requirement so yes, it's perfectly reasonable there would be an up charge to use a different oil. The dealer is only going to get reimbursed from GM for the standard oil, filter and time, if you want something different the difference in cost is on you. Now, is it really $50 more for 7 quarts of Mobil 1, that's the real question. $20 seems a whole lot more reasonable.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
476 Posts
Reading an article that said only covered when needed aka when the oil light comes on. If we wanted oil change earlier we would have to pay. I drive my car hard. I dont think I want to wait 7,500 miles

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Reading an article that said only covered when needed aka when the oil light comes on. If we wanted oil change earlier we would have to pay. I drive my car hard. I dont think I want to wait 7,500 miles
Actually they state 4 changes over the 24 month period. Chrysler offered me a similar thing as a regional offer for my Jeep SRT8. I took it in at 3000 for the first change then 6000 and 12000 (6000 mile intervals for the SRT's). They were more than happy to do it but if I would have kept it the 18,000 change would have been the last free one.

So, take it in at whatever you consider to be appropriate and just use up the 4 free changes then start putting in your own oil after that. Hell, take it in every 2500 miles of you want, they shouldn't care.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Actually they state 4 changes over the 24 month period. Chrysler offered me a similar thing as a regional offer for my Jeep SRT8. I took it in at 3000 for the first change then 6000 and 12000 (6000 mile intervals for the SRT's). They were more than happy to do it but if I would have kept it the 18,000 change would have been the last free one.

So, take it in at whatever you consider to be appropriate and just use up the 4 free changes then start putting in your own oil after that. Hell, take it in every 2500 miles of you want, they shouldn't care.
Yea thanks
I have to talk to my dealer. I got my first oil change early. I used my prepaid service book. I paid. I didnt know about this. They didnt say anything.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Yea thanks
I have to talk to my dealer. I got my first oil change early. I used my prepaid service book. I paid. I didnt know about this. They didnt say anything.
Well in thinking about it, this is considered covered maintenance, not just an oil change package so they might use different rules but it couldn't hurt to ask. At a minimum they cover the scheduled intervals and you pay for the in between changes. You still come out 4 changes ahead over 24 months.

My '14 Silverado has the same coverage so I'll find out soon enough how they handle it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I changed the oil in my Z51 a couple of days back. I know some people said the manuals 10.3 qts is a little high. So I put in about 9.5 quarts. I wanted to make sure it had enough oil to warm up the oil to 175° F as the manual says. Didn't want it running all that time with low oil. This isn't easy? lol Well mine checked about 1/4" to high after filling the new oil filter before I installed it and just putting in 9.5 qts (including filter)
So I've drained a quarter quart and I'm in the process of warming to 175° and waiting 5-10 minutes. The oil pan holds about a quart.
My old 82 280zx turbo had a oil temp gauge and it took about 15 miles for it to get up to temp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The owners manual I downloaded from Chevy stated it would hold 10.5 quarts for the Z 51. When I picked up my car the manual had an addendum page that stated oil capacity is 9.3 quarts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I changed the oil in my Z51 a couple of days back. I know some people said the manuals 10.3 qts is a little high. So I put in about 9.5 quarts. I wanted to make sure it had enough oil to warm up the oil to 175° F as the manual says. Didn't want it running all that time with low oil. This isn't easy? lol Well mine checked about 1/4" to high after filling the new oil filter before I installed it and just putting in 9.5 qts (including filter)
So I've drained a quarter quart and I'm in the process of warming to 175° and waiting 5-10 minutes. The oil pan holds about a quart.
My old 82 280zx turbo had a oil temp gauge and it took about 15 miles for it to get up to temp.
I will change the oil in my Z51 Stingray and pass on the free oil changes at the dealer. What did you use to lift your Stingray to drain the pan and reservoir?

I use ramps from Race Ramps to lift my C6 under all four wheels simultaneously. I get 3" of lift allowing me to reach under and drain the pan and change the filter. I would like to lift it higher and keep it level at the same time to completely drain the pan. I also have ramps to drive the front up higher, but the drain plug for the pan is on the side and will leave residual dirty oil in the pan.

·
Administrator
16,313 Posts
I will change the oil in my Z51 Stingray and pass on the free oil changes at the dealer. What did you use to lift your Stingray to drain the pan and reservoir?

I use ramps from Race Ramps to lift my C6 under all four wheels simultaneously. I get 3" of lift allowing me to reach under and drain the pan and change the filter. I would like to lift it higher and keep it level at the same time to completely drain the pan. I also have ramps to drive the front up higher, but the drain plug for the pan is on the side and will leave residual dirty oil in the pan.
Remember that with the Z51 you have two drain plugs you must remove when you change the oil. Both are located on the pan, one towards the front of the engine and one on the driver side. One empties the pan itself and one empties the dry sump reservoir.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts