Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont like to focus on negative crap and I know Im not alone but I have experienced a lot of hater behavior since owning my AW Z51. Most attention is positive about 80+ percent but I get alot of mean stares, people riding my ass for no reason and the silliest was a big jacked up diesel 4x4 kept acting like he was going to bump me from the rear he was so close with brights on so I slow down to let him pass he just follows me doing the same. I speed up, he speeds up brights in my eyes the whole time. I finally slow enough so he passes slow tinted windows at night so I cant see. He then proceeds to floor his diesel blowing smoke all in my car open windows i know i should have closed them but I had to concentrate so no time. This was all unprovoked. I know its nothing but it makes me worried about vandalizm in parking lots and places where I cant see. I guess I expected some of this but its sad to see and I just dont drive it if I must be seperated for too long of time. I would NEVER do junk like that. I had Mustang almost stolen and 4 Runner had catalytic converter stolen while in movies so C7 stays in garage most of the time. My story is nothing I bet. anyone else experience this kinda stuff?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've had a few 4x4 diesels do what you mentioned above or if they're in front of me slow down and start blowing smoke and a few punks in civic's with fart cans tailgate and such.
I get people riding my azz all the time on my motorcycle. I'll put my left hand down motioning them to back off.
If this doesn't work, I'll raise my jacket / shirt so they can see my gun/holster. It's funny how fast they back away
or decide to turn. To bad I can't do this in the C7.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yesterday had a truck tailgait me but hedid pass when I got to the right. Was right on my tail though for some time!

·
Registered
41 Posts
envy is an ugly emotion

·
Administrator
16,279 Posts
Thankfully I have not experienced anything like that specific to the fact I was driving RedHot. However I (and I am sure many others as well) have experienced flat out stupid drivers regardless of what I am driving. I try to always keep maneuverable space between me and the car in front, even when stopped at a light if possible. When there is a jerk on my tail I will do whatever is safe to allow them to pass or lose them including altering my intended route. Finally I also try and note their license plate number in the event they persist and I call the police.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not specific to my past and present vette ownership, but the seemingly weekly recalls of millions of car's have caused me all sorts of grief at work. I work on a USAF base and military folks can be brutal and if in any way represent normal everyday folks from across America, income and other demographic groups, GM is in a world of hurt.

One field grade officer in my shop just traded in 3 GM vehicles for 2 Ford's and a BMW. It's freightening what I'm seeing amongst US military and their feelings towards GM.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hey BudZ51:
I have not experienced anything that ridiculous but I do find that there are a lot of "lookie loos" out there who just want to get pics etc or do a video while driving down the road. Totally dangerous but never the less they are out there. Should have got that guys plate and called 911 as it is a dangerous situation and in Canada they will respond with the closest unit and run the guys plate to find out where he lives and pay him a visit. This is where PDR's will come in handy on the 2015s. It could also have been a one off thing and maybe no other problems in the future. Love your car and take care of it, you will be fine.

I had a guy last night in a Rabbit try to stay with me on a circle off ramp from the freeway, I entered at 90K and he tried the same and just about lost it. I just powered through the turn and about 2k later he caught up to me on the straight and drove away. What's the deal? Most of it is just envy. If you get the opportunity, just smile at them and carry on StingR...

STUNG......

Just a short add on, I went to my local Chevron dealer to fill up tonight after a short drive with a lady friend and a guy pulled up in a Shelby Cobra Mustang. "Quote" Just my luck you would be here and make my car look ugly at the gas pumps. haha!! Claims it had 580 HP. But was in love with my car. Said GM finally got it right. I thought there were a couple of time they got it right, but I don't think he was born then. haha!! Anyway he was genuine and I thanked him for the compliments as he walked around and really checked it out. I get more of these kinds of comments than negative ones.

That CGM with all the Carbon Flash and Stripes with Blk Wheels and Calipers reallly does look hot....Every one seems to like it big time. I got the windows tinted the other day, 35/50 Frt/R. Hope some noisey constable doesn't decide to check out the car and notice the tinting. It is illegal in this province to have it. Thanks for the like BudZ51. I Try to be informative and a little humorus at the same time in my comments and stories.

In front on the lawn (sick).jpg

·
Registered
281 Posts
I hate to put anyone in a box but, in general, BMW drivers are jealous, over-competitive little ------. When I am in my Lamborghini or Sepang R8, every sports car driver and younger person on the road hangs out of windows with cameras, gives me thumbs up, cheers (yes, cheers), whoops, whistles or makes positive comments. Guys in BMWs COLLECTIVELY are blind to my supercars. They refused to see them. They will not even look in my direction. On numerous occasions, BMW guys – with the rag top DOWN – have parked right beside me, exited their vehicle and walked away without even glancing at it. They refuse to even look. You can actually see them trying not to look.

Contrast that with the prick in the M6 who paced my C7 for 10 miles on a road trip Saturday. My cruise control was set around 85. This dickless wonder continually pulled alongside, pumping his throttle, trying to initiate a race on a highway wrought with DPS, on a Saturday, at the end of the month. I didn't break my pace but had to wonder, "where are these guys when I'm in my Superleggera?" I could pull alongside the same jackass in my R8 V10 Spyder, drop the top, light my hair on fire and scream like David Lee Roth on bad molly and this same prick still wouldn't see me. Sorry for the rant.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Where we live (highly depressed) I since more envy however most really like the Corvette. None have been hateful. At a recent cruise in one man was heard to say to his kids "this is the way rich people waste their money".
Somehow I don't see it as a waste--buts lots of fun. The CRT with the Kalahari top draws a big crowd at each show we attend. Life is good. cutnout aka Charlie

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I dont like to focus on negative crap and I know Im not alone but I have experienced a lot of hater behavior since owning my AW Z51. Most attention is positive about 80+ percent but I get alot of mean stares, people riding my ass for no reason and the silliest was a big jacked up diesel 4x4 kept acting like he was going to bump me from the rear he was so close with brights on so I slow down to let him pass he just follows me doing the same. I speed up, he speeds up brights in my eyes the whole time. I finally slow enough so he passes slow tinted windows at night so I cant see. He then proceeds to floor his diesel blowing smoke all in my car open windows i know i should have closed them but I had to concentrate so no time. This was all unprovoked. I know its nothing but it makes me worried about vandalizm in parking lots and places where I cant see. I guess I expected some of this but its sad to see and I just dont drive it if I must be seperated for too long of time. I would NEVER do junk like that. I had Mustang almost stolen and 4 Runner had catalytic converter stolen while in movies so C7 stays in garage most of the time. My story is nothing I bet. anyone else experience this kinda stuff?
At that point I would have picked up my cell phone and say "hello Police?" Looks like we have a drunk driver on the road, his plate number is xxxxxx" :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
At that point I would have picked up my cell phone and say "hello Police?" Looks like we have a drunk driver on the road, his plate number is xxxxxx" :D
Done that. Three times in the last 6 years.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had one guy say "eff you Richie Rich". I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at that one. btw, he was driving an old chevy Citation, I hadn't seen one of those in 15 years.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My cars, including my Stingray, cause a wide variety of the strangest reactions. At a four-way stop, I once had a guy repeatedly bow to my car in praise. It's common for people at four-way stops to freeze up, let me go out-of-turn so they can watch me drive-by, turn around and follow or hang out the window with an iPhone. I've caused people to curb their cars, run into the medium, run red lights and a Suburban recently blew through a four-way stop without even tapping the brakes. I don't think they ever saw it. My passengers enjoy watching cars swerve around after we pass them. I don't know why. Maybe they are looking for a camera phone?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.