Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is anyone else here going to the Corvette Invasion in Austin in July? They will have parade laps included in the registration package. I believe only 30 spots are left as of this morning for the parade laps.

I will be there, hope to see some of you out there!

More details at:
Home

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Daleong, my wife and I are both signed up. We're going up on Thursday, there are going to be a bunch of cruises through the hill country on Thursday and Friday. Go to Austin Corvettes FB page and you can get hooked up if you want to. There are a lot of us staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Hwy 620 &183. If you tell them your part of Corvette Invasion the will give you a reduced rate.
Mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
We’ll be at the Invasion and hope to catch some of the pre-invasion cruises too!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Looks like they've opened-up the parade laps to the first 400 registrants, up from the initial 300. I'm waiting to find out if they still have any openings, before I register.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I can't make it this year, but is this an annual event? My son is in College Station and it would be fun for the two of us to do this next year.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posting the schedule for the Invasion. I'll be there both days, and early on the Sunday for the F1 watch party.

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1468199068.975892.jpg

·
Registered
956 Posts
Just a few questions from a Corvette Invasion newby.....

1) Does everyone that paid an entry fee show their car for judging? Or do some people just park their car with all the other Corvette's?
2) Besides all the 'Vettes on display, are there vendors at the event on Saturday?
3) Are their food or drink vendors?
4) Is the COTA grandstand or stadium open to walk around and explore?
5) How fast or slow does it take to get 500+ cars registered and parked? I need to know how early to arrive.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've heard latest car count is above 500 with hopes of 600-800... :wink:

1) Does everyone that paid an entry fee show their car for judging? Or do some people just park their car with all the other Corvette's? I think this is the first year for judging? I'm not sure. I personally am not planning on showing my car on Saturday. Just parking and checking things out

2) Besides all the 'Vettes on display, are there vendors at the event on Saturday? Yes - I have heard there will be some good vendors. Organizers were still working to confirm them though and will announce next week. For sure Xpel, National Corvette Museum and Mosing Motorcars will be there as they are presenting sponsors or ones that have been announced.

3) Are their food or drink vendors? Participants will have access to the Velocity lounge and bar inside the main grandstand at COTA. A/C, food, drinks will be available. That being said, I'd bring a cooler with drinks, chairs and sunscreen.. normal protocols for July in Texas...

4) Is the COTA grandstand or stadium open to walk around and explore? Main grandstand will be open I assume based on above...

5) How fast or slow does it take to get 500+ cars registered and parked? I need to know how early to arrive.Good question, I asked the organizers the same thing. Earlier the better I would guess. For the parade laps, I for sure will be early on Sunday. I plan to go to the F1 Watch party at the Velocity lounge that starts at 7am, so I would probably plan on being there by then...

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I really, really, really, did I say REALLY wish I could go down for this......but aint gonna happen. Wife's trip south got cancelled and BOTH of us are working all weeknd long....got huge presentation on Monday and unexpected company tonight/tomorrow. I hope ya'll have double the fun for my sake.

·
Super Moderator
3,245 Posts
large_TaylorMatos01.jpg
A summer Austin Saturday's a perfect occasion for Corvette Invasion | Austin Cars

Tuesday, Jul 12, 2016 @ 10:38am
By David Wolfing

Austin is about to be invaded by an army of one of the most iconic sports cars in U.S. automotive history.

The Corvette Invasion is scheduled for July 23 at the Circuit of the Americas (9201 Circuit of the Americas Blvd. in Austin).

“We plan on having a large car show Saturday from 10-2 p.m. with awards and door prizes,” Shawn Jones, one of the organizers of the event said. “This will include live entertainment featuring the Clutch Kings, as well as several vendors and some special guests. Then on Sunday, July 24, we all come back and do parade laps around the World Class F1 Track.”

One of the “celebrity” cars that will be in attendance is a 1969 “Astro Vette” once owned by Astronaut Alan Bean. The car’s current owner, Danny Reed, is known for showing this particular vehicle at area events.
The Corvette Invasion, like many of the more notable car shows in the Central Texas area, started on a very small scale and has just continued to grow.

“It all began when Steve Pond of Houston contacted me (in Austin) and discussed getting our Corvette clubs together for dinner,” Jones said. “Me and other members of a local Corvette club organized the event at the Oasis Restaurant off Lake Travis. What started out as a couple of clubs getting together quickly grew to a large event. In only three years, the event has tripled in size and continues to grow.”
This year’s event will finish off by honoring the original. Following the Sunday morning parade laps at the Circuit of the Americas, the Corvettes will host a cruise en masse to the Oasis on Lake Travis for lunch.

More information on the Corvette Invasion in Austin can be found by visiting the event’s Facebook page, www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Corvette%20Invasion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
7 Participants
twowinns
Stingray Corvette Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to the 7th Gen Corvette Stingray. Come join the discussion on performance modifications, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing