Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to order OEM indoor cover, but figured what the heck, a few more bucks and I can get the outdoor cover and be able to use it when I travel. Heard plenty about indoor cover. Anyone have an outdoor one? Is it lined? Says it is breathable. Want to make sure it truly is.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Reactions: docjb

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mobius, I posted on that thread, but got no responses about the OUTDOOR cover.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Almost bought an indoor cover, but figured at that price, for just a little extra, why not get an all-weather cover.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't blame you. How do you feel about putting on the cover after it's been driven and has road dust on it? I've read a lot of folks won't cover it unless it has just been cleaned.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've been using covers on my cars starting with my then new '79 C3, they will save you lots of work can be put on in under 60 seconds, trust me, I put it on everyday at my current work for over 27 years, coming off takes even less. My last Cadillac I just traded in had paint and interior that was flawless from fading and other weather related damage. However in the 7 years I owned it, I went through 3 covers (covers took the weather abuse not the paint), one was replaced under warranty (normally 3 years). I prefer a cover made using the "Noah Fabric". I live in South Florida and they works extremely well in sunlight and rain showers. If it rains and you don't need to remove the cover for an hour after the rain stops, when removed the car will be dry and no dried rain spots will be present, yes it will look perfect! The hardest part of using a cover is no one can admire your baby when its parked at work, but when you do come out and pull up the four corners, fold each half to the middle and then roll it up, you will then realize that 60 seconds of install time and 30 seconds of removal time just saved you a lot of clean-up time and your baby looks perfect as you drive her home. I don't know who's making the covers for GM, but I've only bought from two sources, California Car Covers and Big Sky Covers out of Montana. I just bought one from Big Sky for my new Cadillac SRX and the fit is perfect and it even has a little pocket for my On-Star antenae, California uses a grommet for the antenae, I prefer the little pocket.

California Car Cover for C7 $232.99
California Car Cover Company - Car Cover Materials

Big Sky for C7 NOAH $232.99
Covercraft Custom Car Covers ? Product | Big Sky Car Covers

NOAH® - A great value for outdoor protection.
NOAH barrier fabric actually stops water, yet it “breathes” to allow any trapped moisture, seam seepage or condensation to easily evaporate. The unique construction process (patent pending) results in a cover with maximum all-weather protection…highly water resistant, dust resistant, UV resistant and breathable to make sure moisture and/or heat don’t stay under the cover. Made in the U.S. by Kimberly-Clark, the fabric weighs only 4.75 oz./sq. yd., so it’s easy to handle and fold.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I have the outdoor GM cover. It does NOT have a soft inner liner. I use it when traveling and it fits well and hasn't scratched the car or anything like that. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This looks like one....lol
Outdoor Cover.jpg

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought the outside liner because I like the way it looks but have no plans on using it. Just nice to have in case I ever need it. If not, the next owner of this car will also receive an outdoor liner, never taken out of the bag.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
The picture above is of one of our forum member's cars. He lives in Pennsylvania if my memory is correct.

·
1,406 Posts
I purchased the GM cover at the time I ordered the car. It is made by Cover King. I think there are better covers on the market for less money. I use mine everyday but I can't say I am that impressed with the quality.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the same cover as above with the snow on it. I use it during crappy weather haven't had a issue with it. This is my first car cover so I don't have any others that I can gauge it on. Inside is the same material as the outside. Doesn't scratch.

CPL Mo USMC Vet

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have noticed water does get through the seams of the cover. I am thinking about spraying the seams with scotch guard. To see if this helps.

CPL Mo USMC Vet

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have noticed water does get through the seams of the cover. I am thinking about spraying the seams with scotch guard. To see if this helps.

CPL Mo USMC Vet
Rumfits, go to an outdoor store, EMS or REI, etc and get a seam sealer that is used on tents. Last time I used it, it comes as a liquid with a roller ball applicator. That should work for you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here is mine all tucked in for the night. Nice and snug against the house we were suppose to have some bad weather last night. ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1404904727.439927.jpg

CPL Mo USMC Vet

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, but apply to the INSIDE of the seams if possible. The stuff I've used in the past left a shiny coating that would look bad on the outside of the cover.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I don't know what type of bonding material you would put on there, but if it is anything like the one I used on my tent, put it on the OUTSIDE (visible) part of the seams, because it gets a hard glaze when dried, and that hard glaze could scratch your paint if put on the inside.

I'm sorry to contradict you, Ragtop, but I just wanted to throw my personal experience out there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts