Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m hearing a slight puffing noise while driving. It sounds like an exhaust manifold leak . I just wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar with their C7?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Did you just get done working out before you got in the car???

·
Administrator
15,567 Posts
Are you talking about a C7 non Z51 or Z51? I have never heard a puffing noise from RedHot - a non Z51.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you talking about a C7 non Z51 or Z51? I have never heard a puffing noise from RedHot - a non Z51.
It's a non-Z51 with the Z51 appearance package.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you just get done working out before you got in the car???
No, had I been working out, it would have been more like "huffing and puffing." No, this sound is coming from the engine bay. I had a '67 Chevelle about 10 years ago that made a similar noise and it turned out to be a leak at the exhaust manifold. This sound is almost identical.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
jw; It may well be that, but let me ask a few questions. Is it more obvious when cold? Does the sound change with an increase / decrease in RPM? Can you hear it at idle with the hood up? If you can hear this noise while it is parked and running you should be able to home in on it by grabbing a piece of tubing / length of old hose and put on end to your ear and the other near areas of interest. Make sure to avoid the serpentine belt. You should be able to isolate it if it is happening at idle. Get someone else to rev the engine while your listening. If it is not happening while the car is not moving that also helps rule in or out possible sources. Be careful and let us know what you discover.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
jw; It may well be that, but let me ask a few questions. Is it more obvious when cold? Does the sound change with an increase / decrease in RPM? Can you hear it at idle with the hood up? If you can hear this noise while it is parked and running you should be able to home in on it by grabbing a piece of tubing / length of old hose and put on end to your ear and the other near areas of interest. Make sure to avoid the serpentine belt. You should be able to isolate it if it is happening at idle. Get someone else to rev the engine while your listening. If it is not happening while the car is not moving that also helps rule in or out possible sources. Be careful and let us know what you discover.
I had never heard of that trick of using a piece of hose as a localized listening device. What a good idea.

Dude, you are just multiple wealths of information, aren't you?!?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I am just an old school knuckle banging shad tree type that knows just enough to know what I can safely mess with...And what I need to take to a "true professional" to sort out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts