Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10371398_594990260598949_427537087561154310_n.jpg

I guess this is what happens when you hit Mach Plaid in the new Stingray! Everything but the body work will apparently hold 700HP. HAHA!

Anyone got some backstory on this thing? Do you know whose Corvette it is? What happened?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you look close, it is a HPE700 car! Hennessey Performance has some splainin' to do!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
That's what catastrophic engine failure and 10 quarts of burnt synthetic look like when an SC motor gives it up at speed. OUCH

I wonder if the cover sitting on the ground came off with the failure or was ripped off by the tow?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yikes! It almost look like the rear section of the car caught fire. I guess the bottom of the engine blew out while they were doing a top speed run???

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Wow! How sad... Not sure what to think. I would imagine they should have had any/all potential issues worked out before something like this could happen. Unless, of course this was caused by a customer who was capable to blowing up ANYTHING! There's a huge difference between running them hard and abusing the heck out of them. This looks like possible abuse.....

BTW, anyone who's lost an engine knows there's tell tail signs something serious is happening whether it's knocking sounds coming from under the hood or a number of other things. But to ignore those signs and keep your foot in it, particularly ventilating the thing and running it out of oil and on fire definitely reflects flat out abuse, or they were involved in being pursued by someone and didn't care.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Sh$t happens.

·
Registered
162 Posts

I guess this is what happens when you hit Mach Plaid in the new Stingray! Everything but the body work will apparently hold 700HP. HAHA!

Anyone got some backstory on this thing? Do you know whose Corvette it is? What happened?

Wasn't he racing a Camaro in the swamps?

girls_stuck_in_mud_with_camaro_ss_convertible_003.jpg

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ironic...

Hennessey just shared this video with me via email. This C7 with the HPE700 pack is decidedly LESS on fire.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Ironic...

Hennessey just shared this video with me via email. This C7 with the HPE700 pack is decidedly LESS on fire.
But I don't drive my car on the Dyno........

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I did some digging, called in some favors, paid some folks off, and generally lied cheated and stole to get the following intel...

Word on the street is.... The car has less than 2000 miles of use since the HPE700 package was installed. The customer, who we will probably not hear much from due to some impending legal action, took the car out on the highway and made a pull in 3rd gear. He got all the way to the top of 3rd, then catastrophic failure. Story has it that a rod let go and the hot oil went everywhere. The car pulled to the side of the road, ignited, and burned.

There are still some details coming through, and I may have more information in the coming days, but am trying to get the best news that I can.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Since first seeing the photo on another forum, I wondered if we would ever find out what happened? Thanks for the intel!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
So I did some digging, called in some favors, paid some folks off, and generally lied cheated and stole to get the following intel...

Word on the street is.... The car has less than 2000 miles of use since the HPE700 package was installed. The customer, who we will probably not hear much from due to some impending legal action, took the car out on the highway and made a pull in 3rd gear. He got all the way to the top of 3rd, then catastrophic failure. Story has it that a rod let go and the hot oil went everywhere. The car pulled to the side of the road, ignited, and burned.

There are still some details coming through, and I may have more information in the coming days, but am trying to get the best news that I can.
Guess there's no guarantee's failures like this won't happen, however I continue to have issues with slapping turbo's and superchargers on engines that originally came without, without having had the internals of the engines upgraded. GM made obvious changes in the connecting rods, pistons, camshaft, intake valves etc. on the LT4 engine over the LT1 in order to avoid situations like this. I would hope such changes involving the internals are made by shops adding turbo's and superchargers to these LT1's. Otherwise, we're going to see allot more of these "Catastrophic Failures." Not to mention voided factory warranties. That's why I've chosen the 2015 Z06. No hassles, no worries..... Now which one has the higher price tag connected with it?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the info that I am gathering, there are a lot more Catastrophic Failures than we are hearing about.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Digging deeper:

So this C7 was torched. The customer went back to Hennessey for a warranty claim. They supposedly provide a 1 year 12K mile bumper to bumper warranty... But if you go to their warranty page: Hennessey Warranty You will find the very cleverly worded:

Hennessey Warranty said:
We offer our worry free warranty on many of our builds!
Click on the images on the right to chose your desired build and take advantage of our 3 Year/36K Mile Warranty!
Not ALL of our builds, but "MANY" of our builds.

Presumably, part of the reason why Hennessey is one of the higher priced outfits is because they can stand behind the warranty due to the fact that it is built into the price of the tunes and parts. They charge everyone a little more so that they can cover themselves if something happens. Story holds that the management at Hennessey told the customer to take it to GM to have the engine replaced and essentially refused to honor any sort of warranty. (Remember the "Many of our builds" line?!?

Obviously, GM took one look at the car, and laughed at this customer's request. So, now his GM warranty is very obviously voided, and Hennessey isn't interested in fixing it.

I think that this C7 owner is going to keep pretty quiet about this whole deal for a while as this could wind up in the court system.

Rumor has it that Hennessey has blown up 3 C7's in the last 6 months with Edelbrock and ECS kits.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wow! That's one hot car!!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: The Rock

·
Registered
658 Posts
While it's never completely safe putting a blower on a stock block I do have piece of mind with the driveline warranty for 5 years and 100k. The only down side is that I have to run the base PC kit and only have 590hp at the wheels. I really wanted 650

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Digging deeper:

So this C7 was torched. The customer went back to Hennessey for a warranty claim. They supposedly provide a 1 year 12K mile bumper to bumper warranty... But if you go to their warranty page: Hennessey Warranty You will find the very cleverly worded:

Not ALL of our builds, but "MANY" of our builds.

Presumably, part of the reason why Hennessey is one of the higher priced outfits is because they can stand behind the warranty due to the fact that it is built into the price of the tunes and parts. They charge everyone a little more so that they can cover themselves if something happens. Story holds that the management at Hennessey told the customer to take it to GM to have the engine replaced and essentially refused to honor any sort of warranty. (Remember the "Many of our builds" line?!?

Obviously, GM took one look at the car, and laughed at this customer's request. So, now his GM warranty is very obviously voided, and Hennessey isn't interested in fixing it.

I think that this C7 owner is going to keep pretty quiet about this whole deal for a while as this could wind up in the court system.

Rumor has it that Hennessey has blown up 3 C7's in the last 6 months with Edelbrock and ECS kits.
Yep! Never saw this coming...... Can't tell folks about this cause they don't listen. Not only that, but they'll actually argue about it and cop a major attitude. So how much is this guy going to have wrapped up in this HENNESSEY HPE700 by the time all is said and done? This is really tragic and for the life of me I can't imagine how a business can remain operating pulling what Hennessey pulled on the customer and more than likely many more we haven't heard anything about. NickJ Thank you very very much for bringing this to our attention. You've provided an extremely valuable service here and exposed a company that forum members should stay completely clear of. As long as people keep going back, or new customers keep coming in, Hennessey will continue doing business as usual..... Too bad a couple of major magazines haven't picked this up and exposed these practices to allot more enthusiasts.

Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts