Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have a passion and enthusiasm for this new world class Corvette but what about the long run? Many of us are still on an unknown waiting list for our cars to even be built. I don't think I want to pay sticker price for a vehicle that hasn't been built yet and has depreciated as a bucket of bolts for 6 or more months. I will probably vote with my dollars and pull my order if I don't get a build date soon. GM should pay for this poor rollout.

·
Registered
371 Posts
We all have a passion and enthusiasm for this new world class Corvette but what about the long run? Many of us are still on an unknown waiting list for our cars to even be built. I don't think I want to pay sticker price for a vehicle that hasn't been built yet and has depreciated as a bucket of bolts for 6 or more months. I will probably vote with my dollars and pull my order if I don't get a build date soon. GM should pay for this poor rollout.

If you are worried about depreciation then maybe you should wait for a 2015. As for the 2014s depreciation I hate to break it to you but cars depreciate they are not exactly the best investment, unless of course you bought vin 0666TR 1957 Ferrari 250 testa Rossa. Well then you have a car worth $16 million or at least that is what it fetched at auction in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
22 Posts
I see this like building a house. If you're given a lot of options you can pick from and choose and change all the way down to the color of the caulk... You have to expect a a little longer wait to move in. You always have the options to move into a already built home that maybe didn't come with everything you wanted.... But you'll be in a home.

I guess how I'm justifying the wait/rollout is... They offered all these options.... More than expected wanted these options... And it slowed it down because of a potential lack of anticipated supply.

I'm aware that at any time I can go buy a prebuilt potential non z51 without some of the cool doo dads that I wanted, and be in a C7, or wait it out.

As far as depreciation, if you're worried about it; get on the waiting list for the 2015.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You have to realize with this being your second post here that this post has all the makings of "Troll inspired" trouble thread. Bucket of bolts, poor rollout, GM pay, maybe you should rethink your purchase plans if this is really that you think.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You sure have balls to say GM should pay? Let me ask you if you invented some product and put it on the market, all of a sudden it is flying off the shelves like hotcakes should you be held accountable and pay for that unexpected turnout? And when you say pay what exactly do you want GM to do to pay? Send out rebates? :confused:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yep indeed I took depreciation into my thought process along with cost of gas as mileage won't be great either if I accelerate fast from a complete stop all the time. Those thoughts lasted about 7.5 seconds. The best financial logic here on the purchase is, it is not going to help me get to my financial retirement goals faster. So why did I do it? Because life is too short and I want to have some fun. So if depreciation is your major concern on purchasing a car then I would suggest you consider looking at a used Vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do an increasing number of posts make someone less of a troll? I guess I expected some backlash for my opinion but I am serious. Yes I am new to the forum and yes I am just frustrated like many I see here for all the uncertainty in the whole process. I mean it's not a Corvette until it's built right? So yeah those of us being strung along for months for a build date are paying a premium for a bunch of parts instead of cruising down the road. By saying GM should pay I guess I had more confidence in vette buyers to demand better service... and sure rebates would be nice for the inconvenience. I realize depreciation is part of any new car purchase so I guess what everyone is telling me is to just bend over, shut up and wait...which I will probably do now. Thanks for the support.

·
Administrator
16,296 Posts
Please take a minute.

Do an increasing number of posts make someone less of a troll? I guess I expected some backlash for my opinion but I am serious. Yes I am new to the forum and yes I am just frustrated like many I see here for all the uncertainty in the whole process. I mean it's not a Corvette until it's built right? So yeah those of us being strung along for months for a build date are paying a premium for a bunch of parts instead of cruising down the road. By saying GM should pay I guess I had more confidence in vette buyers to demand better service... and sure rebates would be nice for the inconvenience. I realize depreciation is part of any new car purchase so I guess what everyone is telling me is to just bend over, shut up and wait...which I will probably do now. Thanks for the support.
The problem with your post is not your opinion or frustration, but rather your tone. We value a civil forum here. No where in the 6 responses to your original post did anyone suggest you "just bend over, shut up". Please take the time to look through our forum and get a feel for the tone. If you find that is something you would like to be a contributor to, we welcome you. If not I suggest you consider other forums to express your thoughts.

·
18,670 Posts
Yes, many considered residual value and depreciation. In fact the top residual value rating agencies named the 2014 Corvette StingRay the number 5th vehicle there is for retaining its 2014 residual value, as in the linked thread.

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-news/1739-5th-best-residual-value.html

Also to the point, instead of asking a question, your original post made a major inaccurate statement, the "poor rollout." In fact, whereas GM stated that they goal was to produce 25,000 StingRay this year, based on actual VIN numbers coming down the line last Friday, and the August 8th end of 2014 StingRay production, GM's will produce approximately 34,000 StingRays this year, of which 60% will be Z-51's.

Lastly, as regards to tone in your your quoted comment above, referring to the car as a "bucket of bolts," and, your even worse "bend over" comment in your second post on this thread, you are quickly heading you to, at least a "time out." Your facts are wrong, you have come to several erroneous conclusions, and your rudeness is not acceptable.

I echo my fellow moderators' comments that your tone and language is not acceptable on this forum!

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Standing back and looking at this from a distance let's try and understand where the OP is coming from. He obviously has the Stingray bug, he wants one. More than likely, since he just found us, he did what a large portion of the marketplace does, they go to their local dealer. Here's where he got sidetracked down the dead end street that sadly is the channel GM uses to distribute it's product, the dealer network.

$20 says his dealer assured him they were authorized to sell the Corvette and they could get him what he wanted. Then, after they had his order and possibly his money they deflect his queries about when his car will arrive by blaming GM. They tell him the car is very rare and because it's new they are having teething problems delivering. They may even mention constraints and again, blame GM or GM's suppliers as the reason he doesn't have a car yet. And they will continue to lead him along as long as they can knowing full well they may not be able to get his order placed until May or June simply because they don't have enough allocation. For them it's a self fulfilling prophecy since they can play on the cars exclusivity to command top dollar from their uninformed customers.

Step back and consider what your frame of mind would be if you didn't know everything you've learned by having the Internet at your fingertips. Odds are you would be a bit testy and the rollout of the C7 would seem "botched" in your mind. Hell, the dealer may have even planted that word in his mind! I know I have heard a couple local dealers utter basically the same sentiment, that GM screwed up the C7 rollout. Never mind the fact that had they committed to the product back as recently as 2012, when they were told directly by GM their 2014 allocation would be tied to 2012 sales and did what dealers like Kerbeck, MacMulkin and others did instead of refusing 2012 allocation they would be delivering 5 cars a week instead of 5 cars per quarter.

To the OP, please read through http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...urgent-order-delivery-useful-information.html, it's a great summation of things most people don't know about the process to order and take delivery of a C7. Then go to http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...g/1510-before-ordering-discussion-thread.html to get involved in a discussion of the ordering process.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you're worried about depreciation, then maybe buying a sports car isn't for you. As soon as you pull out of the lot, 10% of the cash you just handed to the dealer is already flying out the window. Cars are definitely not investments. As for the poor rollout, I think they've built over 16000 C7s so far this year. That's pretty damn good! I'm just happy the demand is there again for this American Classic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Consider this...when you're 95 years old and in the hospice waiting to take your last breath Do you think you might say 'I'm glad I never bought that new Corvette Stingray I wanted and avoided any depreciation'

Some things you can't put a price on

·
18,670 Posts
Consider this...when you're 95 years old and in the hospice waiting to take your last breath Do you think you might say 'I'm glad I never bought that new Corvette Stingray I wanted and avoided any depreciation'

Some things you can't put a price on
Still laughing at your wording and the image that it produced. So true, that we only live once.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Standing back and looking at this from a distance let's try and understand where the OP is coming from. He obviously has the Stingray bug, he wants one. More than likely, since he just found us, he did what a large portion of the marketplace does, they go to their local dealer. Here's where he got sidetracked down the dead end street that sadly is the channel GM uses to distribute it's product, the dealer network.

$20 says his dealer assured him they were authorized to sell the Corvette and they could get him what he wanted. Then, after they had his order and possibly his money they deflect his queries about when his car will arrive by blaming GM. They tell him the car is very rare and because it's new they are having teething problems delivering. They may even mention constraints and again, blame GM or GM's suppliers as the reason he doesn't have a car yet. And they will continue to lead him along as long as they can knowing full well they may not be able to get his order placed until May or June simply because they don't have enough allocation. For them it's a self fulfilling prophecy since they can play on the cars exclusivity to command top dollar from their uninformed customers.

Step back and consider what your frame of mind would be if you didn't know everything you've learned by having the Internet at your fingertips. Odds are you would be a bit testy and the rollout of the C7 would seem "botched" in your mind. Hell, the dealer may have even planted that word in his mind! I know I have heard a couple local dealers utter basically the same sentiment, that GM screwed up the C7 rollout. Never mind the fact that had they committed to the product back as recently as 2012, when they were told directly by GM their 2014 allocation would be tied to 2012 sales and did what dealers like Kerbeck, MacMulkin and others did instead of refusing 2012 allocation they would be delivering 5 cars a week instead of 5 cars per quarter.

To the OP, please read through http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...urgent-order-delivery-useful-information.html, it's a great summation of things most people don't know about the process to order and take delivery of a C7. Then go to http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...g/1510-before-ordering-discussion-thread.html to get involved in a discussion of the ordering process.
Thank you so much sir for putting into words pretty much my entire experience in a more acceptable manner than my apparent abrupt style.

P.S. Do you have any Grey Poupon?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Always going to be dealers whoring up the market.Was it necessary to discount so soon? Probably with the numbers being produced.I got out of my car unscathed which was good for me because I was not in love with the vehicle and the problems.Would I buy a 15 next spring at invoice?Maybe but I want to look,ride and drive first.Just an opinion from a veteran Corvette owner.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's still a crystal ball at this point. No one knows what the depreciation will be. It's a mass produced product, with a large production number. If GM was only going to make 5,000 then it'd be a different story.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Depreciation really has nothing to do with the car it has all to do with supply and demand. Look at what happen to the housing market. It comes down to what the seller is willing to sell it for and what the buyer is willing to pay. The good news is GM doesn't build a lot of corvettes what GM builds in a year is the same amount that gets build in a week for other models. The other factor that will effect used prices is future discounts on stingrays. Today most pay sticker but what happens in a year or so if dealers start selling them at invoice? You just took a $6,000 hit. Even location where you live can be a factor. In the end what it all comes down to is you don't buy a car as an investment you buy it out of necessity to get to work or you buy one for pure enjoyment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts