Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading where people are running E85 fuel in their high performance cars and getting and increase in HP and some other other benefits. One I quote I saw read “It has been our experience that E85 with its 105 octane rating and high tolerance to detonation is superior to premium pump gas and equal to and in most cases better than 110 octane race gas. We picked up a tenth of a second and 2 to 3 miles per hour in the eighth mile after switching to E85 from 110 race gas and our engine runs 20 degrees cooler.”

There's work to be done to increase fuel flow and then some timing adjustments but I'm curious if anyone has tried any of this on their C7 and what the results were.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've been reading where people are running E85 fuel in their high performance cars and getting and increase in HP and some other other benefits. One I quote I saw read “It has been our experience that E85 with its 105 octane rating and high tolerance to detonation is superior to premium pump gas and equal to and in most cases better than 110 octane race gas. We picked up a tenth of a second and 2 to 3 miles per hour in the eighth mile after switching to E85 from 110 race gas and our engine runs 20 degrees cooler.”

There's work to be done to increase fuel flow and then some timing adjustments but I'm curious if anyone has tried any of this on their C7 and what the results were.
Do you have a FlexFuel Corvette? If not, do not use E85.

·
Registered
371 Posts

This is not a flex
Fuel vehicle. Don't use it! 91 octane or above only!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
E85 is a great fuel for everything except fuel consumption. You do see a lot of benefits in power and temps. You have to be tuned for this though as the E92 PCM for the C7 doesn't have the flex fuel sensor built in, but it is something that can be added like I did in my CTS V. My 1100hp CTS V runs on E85 or 93 if it's not available. I'm doing the same thing with the C7 by adding the flex fuel sensor and tuning for it. The only other limitation you will run into is fuel consumption as it requires approx 30% more fuel and the OEM injectors and pump might not be up to the task for a modded C7, but I do have my expectations that it could be up to the task for the average mild mods. My cam has an over driven fuel pump lobe, so it will supply more fuel and I have a pretty trick direct port fuel system that we're adding to mine in the event that it will need more with what I have planned. I'll have all of this posted next month when it's back together and we have more factual data! :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Adding 20% of E85 is useful to lower too high exhaust temperatures, specially useful on the track with high boosted cars... Otherwise, I'm convicted that, apart for dedicated engines, using pure E85 could damage some engine gaskets and be too detergent for the engine parts.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I say filler'up with E85, and take her to the racetrack and start some hard laps just to see what the benefits really are.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Going to have to disagree with you there as there's nothing really special about running E85. LS motors switch over to it all of the time. GM is running the Eco motors on them in the trucks as well. You'll see their 6.2 offering it in the near future as well. Fuel supply is my suspicion as to why it's not on the current one with the mechanical pump being driven by the cam and the vastly different blends of ethanol out there. Not sure about your fuels there, but a lot of pump gas is 10% ethanol here anyway. There will be plenty of info on it soon! :)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
According to Vette magazine, "...converting a late-model Corvette is pretty easy. You'll need larger injectors to deliver the additional fuel volume, along with a recalibrated PCM. In most cases, that's it." http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_0801_corvette_e85_conversion/viewall.html

After tuning, they claim they got an added 22 HP at the rear wheels

In conclusion, Vette had this to say "So, is E85 right for everyone? Probably not. Is it worth considering? Absolutely, with a few qualifiers. One, you need to make sure it's available in your area. Two, you need to have access to a knowledgeable tuner or the expertise to do the work yourself. Three, you should have the ability to take advantage of E85's higher octane by running more boost, timing, or compression. And four, you should be prepared to find yourself at the center of many arguments among your gearhead friends.

In the end, there is no question that more power can be made with E85 than with unleaded pump gas. The deal gets even sweeter when you consider that you are doing something positive for the environment and the economy. Alternative fuels do not mean the end of high-performance as we know it. In fact, they can open many doors to even higher performance. That alone should make them worth the price of admission.
"

Reactions: weaponX

·
Registered
267 Posts
In the end, there is no question that more power can be made with E85 than with unleaded pump gas. The deal gets even sweeter when you consider that you are doing something positive for the environment and the economy. Alternative fuels do not mean the end of high-performance as we know it. In fact, they can open many doors to even higher performance. That alone should make them worth the price of admission.[/I]"
Yep, you are keeping the government subsidizes flowing to the Ethanol Industry to make certain the budget deficits continue at their current level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, you are keeping the government subsidizes flowing to the Ethanol Industry to make certain the budget deficits continue at their current level.
AGREED! If you're doing it for more power, fine. Just be sure you don't wipe out your gaskets and seals. Also, ethanol gives poorer "gas" mileage, needs taxpayer subsidies to be competitive and some say, creates more pollution than gasoline. If you think you are saving the planet with it, do some hard research into the reality of this so called green energy.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Reactions: weaponX
1 - 11 of 11 Posts