Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
After having the NAVTOOL module for a while mainly for the ability to add a parking camera to my '15, I decided that although the option to mirror a smartphone video was handy, not having touchscreen functions was an issue. This makes using Waze Nav and other apps a bit distracting while driving.

Well, today I replaced the Radio Control and HMI modules with the ones Infotainment sells. I was a bit concerned about whether or not I'd lose any functionality after reading some reviews. I'm tickled to say my initial testing turned out great!! After reconnecting the battery and firing her up, I plugged in my iPhone and everything came to life on the screen! It took a while before my Sirius/XM synched up and became available, but everything appears to be working.

The installation was pretty straightforward and just as shown in their Youtube link.

·
Administrator
15,892 Posts
Very nice. Do you feel that it is worth the approximately $1000?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think I would think CarPlay was worth all that, but I love it. I paid $1400 (state and county taxes in Florida). I paid extra to keep the factory NAV and an extra $50 for the 6 month warranty. They use new factory components - which was a huge factor in my decision.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
626 Posts
Looks like how it works in my daily driver GM SUV. I just have to wrap my head around is it worth $1400 but I would love to have the waze and other functionality from the infotainment screen.

Also, it is alot DIY friendly than the Navtool and wonder if the next edition of Navtool will be more plug and play like this and competition will drive both prices down.

Thanks for sharing and I need to sleep on this a few days... LOL :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like having it so much now I'll probably get the upgrade for my '15 Colorado - just as soon as that next stimulus check comes in LOL! Today I removed my NAVTOOL altogether. It was the version that predates Apple CarPlay. I used it for my front parking camera but I plan to go back to the WiFi version (displayed in smartphone) I used in the past. I decided I didn't want to "inject" any signals into the network using their jumper wire.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
626 Posts
I’m still pissed that I can’t get a stimulus check so I could have justified to the wife or just do it and ask for forgiveness. However, my wife will forgive but it comes with a price.

My wife somehow thinks that if I spend $1000 on frivolous car BS then my punishment is she spends 2k on some designer BS. Let me reverse her logic and use it on her and I’ll be sleeping alone or outdoors.

I try to tell her an eye for an eye is not very Christianly but that went no where either. Lol :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
It amazes my that it would cost me almost $1,500 to add wireless Apple CarPlay to my wife’s ‘15 Z51 yet it cost me $375 to add it to our ‘16 Porsche Cayman GT4 including front an rear cameras. For once the C tax far exceeds the P tax. Usually it’s the other way around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks great. I’ve been struggling with this too as I have a 15 Z51. I’ve been looking at this as I really expect I’m going to keep this Corvette for a long time. How long did it take you to do it? I too live in Florida so appreciate the total cost you shared.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
626 Posts
I thought the video says it takes about an hour but looking at the video I suspect I would allow 60-120 minutes for myself.

Looks great. I’ve been struggling with this too as I have a 15 Z51. I’ve been looking at this as I really expect I’m going to keep this Corvette for a long time. How long did it take you to do it? I too live in Florida so appreciate the total cost you shared.

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
626 Posts
After doing a nice road trip here in Michigan this weekend, the ongoing thought while driving is that I wished my Waze could have been on my infotainment screen. I prefer not having to look down to my phone to see potential police threats before waze alerts sound off.

Although my new GEN2 Valentine One radar performed very well It’s still nice to see the visual picture location of the potential radar threat. I still have to assess do I want to spend that type of money and hear my wife’s commentary about another expense on the car. 😂

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
626 Posts
I spoke with Infotainment Company today about the difference in their $1400 vs $1000 option. Also, if you are military active or retired you are eligible for 10% savings discount using code: holiday

1. This Option allows you to keep Factory NAV infotainment functionality if you currently have:

• 2014-2015 Chevrolet Corvette MyLink® IO6GPS Navigation Radio Upgrade: $1400
2. This Option removes Factory NAV infotainment functionality but screen will mirror your phone:
  • 2014-2015 Chevrolet Corvette MyLink® IO5 GPS Navigation Radio Upgrade: $1000

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I bought the IO6 and got the Gov't Employee/Veteran discount - then add state and county tax. Still money well spent IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts