Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like the automated car washes today are all brushless. Is their any reason why taking my C7 through would be a bad idea?

·
Registered
186 Posts
A better question would be "can anyone think of a reason to take a Corvette through an automated car wash??"

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Not even if its occaisional, no. But ask yourself how they get the car clean, since they cant agitate the surface with brushes, they use high pressure and non balanced ph detergents. Both not really good for a car you care about. Hand wash is best if you can do it. But if your car is an appliance and it just gets you from point a to b, no problem using car washes. You decide.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A better question would be "can anyone think of a reason to take a Corvette through an automated car wash??"
Point heard loud and clear.

Not even if its occaisional, no. But ask yourself how they get the car clean, since they cant agitate the surface with brushes, they use high pressure and non balanced ph detergents. Both not really good for a car you care about. Hand wash is best if you can do it. But if your car is an appliance and it just gets you from point a to b, no problem using car washes. You decide.
Makes a lot of sense. I don't think I would have ever done it anyway but just wanted to hear the opinion of those in the know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had my stingray for nearly 4 monthy and I have accumulated 5800 in that time period, it's my daily driver. I love to drive this car that is why I purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty because I expect to be close to 100,000 within 4 years. With that being said I also like a clean car but living in the south with the amount of bugs that we collect from point A to point B it is extremely difficult to maintain cleanliness. I have a contract. $500 annually with a very good automated car wash service, I can go through unlimited passes throughout the year. I know many of you would never think about doing this however I go through the car wash about every other day. Frankly for the amount I drive the car this is the only way I will enjoy it clean. I don't have the time to hand wash the car.
Note: the car is full Expel covered.

So after about 60 automated car wash passes in 4 months, it looks just as good as day one.
Also it is not a brushless, the sweeping mops scrub the heck out of my baby and she likes it.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I have had my stingray for nearly 4 monthy and I have accumulated 5800 in that time period, it's my daily driver. I love to drive this car that is why I purchased an extended bumper to bumper warranty because I expect to be close to 100,000 within 4 years. With that being said I also like a clean car but living in the south with the amount of bugs that we collect from point A to point B it is extremely difficult to maintain cleanliness. I have a contract. $500 annually with a very good automated car wash service, I can go through unlimited passes throughout the year. I know many of you would never think about doing this however I go through the car wash about every other day. Frankly for the amount I drive the car this is the only way I will enjoy it clean. I don't have the time to hand wash the car.
Note: the car is full Expel covered.

So after about 60 automated car wash passes in 4 months, it looks just as good as day one.
Also it is not a brushless, the sweeping mops scrub the heck out of my baby and she likes it.
Your experience should not be taken as something others should do as you are FULL EXPEL'D as you put it, a totally diff situation than the op that asked the question.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I NEVER do automated washes. I will use a hand wand and towel dry the car.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Seems to me that if the choice on a 20 degree day is between running it through the brushless car wash, or leaving road salt and corrosives on it (and under it), the car wash would be the more attractive alternative.

Reactions: Sciros and glen e

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
How well do the rear tires fit in the track?

Reactions: V1 VR

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The touchless car washes in my area do not have a track that pushes the car through. The car sits stationary and the washing mechanism moves around the car.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How well do the rear tires fit in the track?
I wouldn't even consider attempting one with a track. My question was inspired by one I drove by today where you pull your car in and place it in park. Then all of the car wash machinery moves around your car. That idea kind of scares me in a totally different way, that machinery relies on what looks like proximity sensors to make its way around your car.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I wouldn't even consider attempting one with a track. My question was inspired by one I drove by today where you pull your car in and place it in park. Then all of the car wash machinery moves around your car. That idea kind of scares me in a totally different way, that machinery relies on what looks like proximity sensors to make its way around your car.
It will accommodate a crew cab 3/4 ton pick up truck almost seven feet tall and almost 20 feet long.

Reactions: Sciros

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Do my C7 sometimes in the "touchless" car wash. Works great. Seems to be a matter of terms here; "touchless" vs "automated".

·
Registered
755 Posts
If it is 20 degrees out, leave the car at home. If it has salt and sand all over and throughout, it shouldn't have been on the road in the first place. I guess the best would be to drive it into your garage and hose it down & wash it inside and don't let it freeze up on you. Thoughly dry all door jams and rear hatch and engine hood. You should avoid automated car washes at all times. They are not a variable in my opinion. But then neither is freezing your you know whats off either.

STUNG:eek:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If I take a winter trip to the Gulf states, and the last 500 miles on the way home is inclement weather, I guess I park it somewhere and wait for Spring? No, I intend to garage the car no later than the first sticking snow, and not get it out again until mud season is over, but a trip down south in February is mighty tempting.

Reactions: krauty and Rfong

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I dont say this to be snotty, as some do, but i dont worship this car. Its a friggin car , not my son. I use it. If it gets dirty and its cold, im heading to a touchless car wash. Ill be damned if im washing in the cold. If it scratches, ill fix it , and why i own power detailing tools and polishes.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I dont say this to be snotty, as some do, but i dont worship this car. Its a friggin car , not my son. I use it. If it gets dirty and its cold, im heading to a touchless car wash. Ill be damned if im washing in the cold. If it scratches, ill fix it , and why i own power detailing tools and polishes.

You are sounding snottting (sp)..most of my wash is at a great local "touchless" wash. We go there cause its just a car. Sounds like you are opposed to the cold. We are driving on a 1000 mile round trip for a week beginning Tuesday north to our desolate spot in the NY Adirondacks...temp 30s over night..rain scheduled for five of six days there..out house, camp shower, creek water..very comfortable..but not with the C7..new XTS Vsport.

Stick around, you will be able to wash in the cold soon.

BTW I think that is the most "likes" I have ever seen for a single post! Folks apparently like snottiness.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
You are sounding snottting (sp)..most of my wash is at a great local "touchless" wash. We go there cause its just a car. Sounds like you are opposed to the cold. I am driving 1000 miles beginning Tuesday to a desolate spot in the NY Adirondacks...temp in 30s over night..but not with the C7..new XTS Vsport..

Stick around, you will be able to wash in the cold soon.
I am in 40 degree weather this week and next, and drove 800 miles in the rain, i have used a touchless and a wand place twice in a 5 days.

·
Registered
952 Posts
In the end it is YOUR car and you can take care of it YOUR way. You have a $70000 investment and how you take care of it is up to you. Just use common sense and enjoy it. What anyone else chooses to so with theirs is not relevant; they are different people with different values, so don't use anyone else's experience or habits influence the way YOU take care of your car.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts