Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah this is the stuff that lasts they say 100 washes....a friend got some so I tried it on one tire. Here's my opin of the good and bad:

the good;
spray on easily
nice gloss

the bad - (and there's a lot of it)
the gloss - certainly not a matte OEM new tire look
it sprays on and it hard to get off the rim (more on that later)
it runs as you can see here
after 12 hours it's still tacky, so the first time the car moves, you pick up dust and it sticks
and now the big one- it's gonna be a bitch to get off - a call to the AA tech line yeils two things they recommend - Stoners Tarminator (or any bug and tar remover, I'm sure)
and GOOGONE - yes, GOOGONE - which means its on there like 3M trim tape!!!

Run Forrest......

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
WOW, run Forrest Run is an understatement. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really wanted to believe that Amourall was getting their act together as I've read bits and pieces on good products they are putting out now...

This ain't one of them...but with the huge marketing campaign they are running on this stuff, someone will try it....

don't....

·
Registered
310 Posts
I stick with Production 1000 Super Dressing or Auto Magic Super Shine... Since I will more than likely clean them weekly.

·
Banned
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,698 Posts
Thanks. I certainly won't be using any of that, nor anything else of the like. Been getting by with just wiping the tire with a rag and plain old water.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Thanks for your try out and posting the results Glen! :cool:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks Glen !

Could I suggest to create a new category in the Forum: "products and aftermarket parts reports"
That could re-group some reports we can read time to time and suggest to collect more.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So glen what is your go to tire sauce?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
This is exactly why I don't particularly like the concept of "tire coatings;" a tire's sidewalls are supposed to naturally "bloom" with heat/cold cycles. I question what sort of adverse effects these types of products are having on the life of the tires -- potentially not allowing the tires to release antiozonant, leading to accelerated dry rot/cracking (especially a concern for those who also store their tires and/or cars in the off-season).

I would really need to see or conduct some long-term testing to determine how these coatings are actually interacting with the chemistry of the tire compound, but at this point I'm not personally sold on them.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've done my own test over many years some autos that did not get that much use and after years no problem. Nothing scientific but I'm sold.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I enjoy AA Tire Foam Protectant in the black and orange spray can.

Dissolves the grim and leaves a natural, but dark finish that doesn't attract dirt.

I use it with every wash. Can even get some on the rim & it's not noticeable, unless you really look. Wipe off the overspray if you are displaying on the concourse. Ha!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Screenshot_2014-08-06-22-04-09-1.png

Glen have you used this product? It was recommended to me by a local detail guy and I actually really like it. It is water based so not an extreme shine but it looks great and doesn't sling at all.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi Guys, I use Meguires Endurance and have for years. It lasts a long time and does not look plastic in appearance at all. Easy to apply and now in spray form. When applied it does not splash on the wheel or wheel wells etc. It gives a clean shiny look but not plastic look.

STUNG:cool:

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
glen, informative test for all to read. I'll stick with Blackfire Total Eclipse Tire Shine that you recommended to me, no runs, no drips, no errors.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
View attachment 10818

Glen have you used this product? It was recommended to me by a local detail guy and I actually really like it. It is water based so not an extreme shine but it looks great and doesn't sling at all.
Tire shines are something I find where there are tens of products that work well, I own about 6.....optimum is one of the leaders in the industry, their CEO is truly a real genius named Dr G- the inventor of OptiCoat.....he also tweaked the blackfire polymers.....

·
Registered
952 Posts
Nobody that I know that has/drives a Vette has ever kept tires long enough to deteriorate. Factory tires are notorious for poor mileage and warrantees on Vettes are only 1/2 as long as advertised because of the size offset..you can't rotate them to get more even wear, so not to worry about any perceived damage..tires will wear out long before any damage due to chemicals...IMHO

Reactions: smackYYZ
1 - 19 of 19 Posts