Stingray Corvette Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm leaning toward the 7 speed, however, I'm concerned about the CAGS, the 1st to 4th gear shifting under light load. I know their are work-arounds, however, that risks voiding the warranty. The auto with paddle shifting might the way to go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The easy answer is, I would love to have the 7 speed manual! But reality says something else. The bad left knee screams "Get the automatic"!!! And the voice of reason - my wonderful wife - says Automatic!

You know, it is a real bummer when the 15 year old in your head says 7 speed, and the almost 66 year old says Automatic!!!! Oh the struggle!!! ;)

Reactions: SCR2014Vette

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I've been back and forth on this, I'm leaning towards the manual but like others getting up there I years. :D
It might come down to cost as well, if the manual is included and the auto is like $5k more I would likely go with the manual so I can add more options.

Bypassing the cags shouldn't void your warranty unless you have to do this thru the computer vs a manual process.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The auto with paddle shifting might the way to go.
That's what I am thinking too. I would like to know more about how the paddle shift works and how well it performs? GVG; I hear that voice too, except with me I just thought it confirmed my long held belief that I am just crazy!:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
GVG; I hear that voice too, except with me I just thought it confirmed my long held belief that I am just crazy!:D
Nah! We're just hearing things.

But maybe that's why the folks at the local Mexican restaurant call me Loco Juan!!!! Dunno

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
... had both...
Glen; Can you explain how the paddle shifting tranny performs when using it like a manual? Do you have to go up or down on gear at a time or can you select a specific gear. I guess in other words is the tranny sequential, with only shifts to the next lower or next higher gear possible?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Glen; Can you explain how the paddle shifting tranny performs when using it like a manual? Do you have to go up or down on gear at a time or can you select a specific gear. I guess in other words is the tranny sequential, with only shifts to the next lower or next higher gear possible?
Chip;
you can go gear to a gear one click at a time and if you click back thats up shift if you click forward thats down shifting if your rev is to high it will decline your down shift. Advantage is you can shift much faster than with a stick.:p

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been shifting for sooooo many years, I just KNEW I'd be ordering yet another manual transmission. But after reading this thread, I may change my mind before I order; I'll do a little more research on the paddle shifting.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
So, can someone bring me up to speed as to why a "dual clutch" in a auto. tranny would make it (the paddle shift tranny) so much better? At least that's what I am reading on other forums.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Thanks! Does it weigh "a lot more", or is it just really complicated? I was wondering why Chevy did not include a dual clutch in the C-7?

·
Administrator
16,829 Posts
So, can someone bring me up to speed as to why a "dual clutch" in a auto. tranny would make it (the paddle shift tranny) so much better? At least that's what I am reading on other forums.
If I am understanding your comment @Chip, Corvette decided against what are basically dual side by side transmissions in the Corvette because they did not feel it was needed. Porsche did go with the dual transmission approach in their new PDK (Porsche Doppelkupplung or double clutch) transmission which is designed to in essence have two gears selected at the same time. The one you are using and the one it anticipates you will be using next. This allows for a faster shift time by the transmission electronics and in fact does result in faster shifts by the automatic than are achievable by professional drivers using a manual. It is more complex but can be built as in Porsche's case for the same weight as a single clutch transmission. It divides the physical gears up across the two transmissions so you don't actually have double the gears, just two side by side transmissions. This process was used in the past but abandoned until recent advancements in engineering and endurance. :cool:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Depends on what your knee's can take. most of us here are over 50 some have knee's that just plain hurt.
Agree!!!

When stairs are an issue, pushing that clutch in becomes a bigger issue! I'd like to understand more about the paddle shifting. All in good time!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm leaning toward the 7 speed, however, I'm concerned about the CAGS, the 1st to 4th gear shifting under light load. I know their are work-arounds, however, that risks voiding the warranty. The auto with paddle shifting might the way to go.
Just accelerate a little and then shift normally.
In traffic I usually (in my 2006 w/6 speed) shift 1 to 3 to 5 - never getting to 6th speed - I just don't believe in lugging engine - so staying in 5th or below I can always keep the engine at/above 1000 rpm.

I have never tracked my cars and in my 2 vehicles with Paddle Shifting (Jaguar XKR and BMW Z4) I find the Paddles just a unnecessary sales gimmick and never use them -i.e. I am mostly in town, in traffic.

On the occasional time I'm on the highway I shift so seldom that it's a "Why Bother" to use the Paddles. I find that being able to shift in "Micro-Second" times is not important to me - or may I say - not likely to be important to most other Corvette Owners - the are are fun to play with when I feel the need to be a boy race but that's not very often because I'm never "on-track" and never when on the road - i.e. When I only have to shift thru the gears every 100 or so miles.

Herb

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.