Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm thinking about buying one of these bad boys but I'm not sure if I want to go with manual or automatic. I currently own an Audi TT with s-tronic (dual clutch) paddle shift. I love it but I'm worried about how the Vette will compare since it is a single clutch automatic. Maybe the 7 speed manual is a better options. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got the auto and to be honest its amazing you can chirp the tires from 1st to second gear with an auto and no stress when sitting in traffic!

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
"sn4p" the answer is it is really a personal decision. I went from a manual in my Porsche to the auto in RedHot and absolutely love it. The transmission is highly responsive as ddelfino stated. The paddle shifters work extremely well and in Tour, Sport or Track it will IMHO be every bit as engaging, if not better, than your Audi TT (remember you have 460 hp driving the C7). :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, I was leaning toward the automatic and now I feel much better.

PS. Imo they should have gone with a dual clutch 7 speed and a twin turbo for the C7 to steal a lot of 911 and GTR buyers, but I'm guessing they are targeting a more broad public where a lower price tag is preferable. Still really nice specs and it looks amazing. The Z1 will probably will have these options but who can wait 4 years for that :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have NO reason to say this other then the way past new models are released but I think the auto will be replaced in '15 or '16 with a much inch better 7 speed or dual clutch or both in order to give the responsiveness that's becoming standard. This auto is just a basic carry over from the C6 and look at early C6 ( 05-06 ) as am example.... 4 speed auto to 6 speed. I could be wrong but my pint is I think the next big improvement on the car will be the auto trans.

OP, there's a big difference in going from dual clutch to single and you will feel the lag in the paddles when shifting and it won't be as crisp. Please don't misunderstand me though, I think the auto in the C7 is a great trans but I'm just saying that I think something better is right around the corner.

I have a manual and the C7 is my DD and even in traffic it's not horrible... All standards suck in traffic but I wouldn't change my purchase on this car. FYI, if I were to buy a new mustang gt is would be an auto so I'm not against autos.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That person is right, the auto definitely chirps into 2nd. I live on the beach, so a lot of my driving is 25 mph, stop and go. If I lived in the country, I'd probably get a manual. But you really can't go wrong with either. I'm having the time of my life in this car. This is by far my favorite car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got the Automatic trans and absolutely love love love it. So glad I did not get the 7 speed. This car is a dream to drive I promise you!

Reactions: Jims-c7

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I've got the Automatic trans and absolutely love love love it. So glad I did not get the 7 speed. This car is a dream to drive I promise you!
same here...

·
Registered
21 Posts
And there is no way anyone can shift a manual trans as fast and consistent as my automatic. It changes gears so fast!!! And the sound of the car is going to be amazing to anyone. I love this car!

·
18,669 Posts
As Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter has said, the StingRay's automatic is slightly faster, 0-to-60, than the manual.

I will still get the manual, but to each their own.

·
Registered
658 Posts
As Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter has said, the StingRay's automatic is slightly faster, 0-to-60, than the manual.

I agree that the autos today aren't the slow girls cars if years ago. Today the autos are generally stronger and consistently faster then manuals. I only picked the manual because I enjoy shifting gears, I can't out drive an auto.

·
Registered
21 Posts
elegant, I certainly understand the that the manual is probably the most wanted transmission by guys like us. How I ended up wanting the auto instead was when I got my Camaro Zl1 last year the only one available that I could get that day was an automatic. And wanting the car so bad after reading so much about it I just said what the heck. I'll take it. I don't want to wait. I want to take it home with me today. Well needless to say I fell in love with that car and mostly because of the fantastic automatic transmission. With time and experience driving that car it was almost like having a manual that you did not have to clutch. The auto in my new Stingray is so dang cool. But like you said, to each their own. I LOVE MY CAR!!! Thank you GM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Really? I've never heard that claim before. All their specs says that the 0-60 in 3.8 sec is for manual, I've seen numbers like 4.2 s for the automatic. But then again any 0-60 time depends on a lot of factors like the driver, temperature, humidity, road, etc. so there are no absolute truths.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Really? I've never heard that claim before. All their specs says that the 0-60 in 3.8 sec is for manual, I've seen numbers like 4.2 s for the automatic. But then again any 0-60 time depends on a lot of factors like the driver, temperature, humidity, road, etc. so there are no absolute truths.
Tadge said it himself if you're looking for a reference.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi guys. I'm thinking about buying one of these bad boys but I'm not sure if I want to go with manual or automatic. I currently own an Audi TT with s-tronic (dual clutch) paddle shift. I love it but I'm worried about how the Vette will compare since it is a single clutch automatic. Maybe the 7 speed manual is a better options. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.
The autos r faster at the drag strip even with the single clutch 6L80
A quick tune has the shifts alot faster and harder..

Manuals are fun but after some mods and a tune the autos are faster..

·
Registered
220 Posts
A friend of mine told me he would de-friend me if I got an auto corvette .
Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
476 Posts
normally the autos arent faster till a tune and maybe some mods.. but
I think right now the fastest stingray quarter mile was with an auto..

anyone have an auto? Does it have launch control or u just leave off torque converter?

·
Administrator
16,282 Posts
normally the autos arent faster till a tune and maybe some mods.. but
I think right now the fastest stingray quarter mile was with an auto..
anyone have an auto? Does it have launch control or u just leave off torque converter?
I am pretty sure the automatic has launch control but I have not tried it out on RedHot, haven't needed it!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am pretty sure the automatic has launch control but I have not tried it out on RedHot, haven't needed it!
:( Try it out.. We all want to see.. get someone to video inside the car while u select track mode the goto PTM dry or sport or race, whatever tickles ur fancy, then hold brake and floor it.. On dual clutch computer can release clutch. I dont know if in single clutch the computer can disengage it :confused:

Not enough auto videos out there.. I have a manual

1 - 20 of 62 Posts