Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new problem with my C7 non Z-51 automatic transmission. While I have the cruise control set for 55 (or so), when the car attempts to accelerate just slightly, there is a significant rattle as the engine RPM's go between 1350 and 1500 RPM. It quits above 1500, and below 1350, but is very consistent and repeatable.

It does not matter what drive mode (Eco, Weather, Touring, Sport or Track). It does NOT happen when I am in manual shift mode, if I shift manually, it does not rattle. If I put it into "rattle mode" and shift to manual shift mode, the rattle stops.

Has anyone with an Auto six speed experienced this issue? I reviewed the posts with rattle or noise, and could not find another post similar to this.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
What is "rattle mode"?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am able to hold the rattle for an extended time by holding the throttle lightly between 1350 and 1500 RPM.

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Ah, okay, I got it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Sounds like it could be AFM.

"For Corvette Stingrays equipped with the six-speed automatic, Active Fuel Management is active in all drive modes until the driver engages the manual-shift mode using the steering-wheel paddles."

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Möbius, you might be right. It sounds like it is coming from the engine bay, not from the rear of the car. I think it is time for a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I have the same configuration (A6 non-Z51) and my AFM operation does not cause a "significant rattle" (or minor rattle) at any time. However, I do believe at the point and driving scenario you are hearing the sound is when the AFM is doing its thing. Coupled with the fact that you don't hear it when in manual shift mode when AFM is disabled, lends credence to it being something to do with the AFM function. Program your DIC to show when you are going between V4 and V8 to see if it coincides with the rattle noise.

As it is "consistent and repeatable", a trip to the dealer may be in order.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FWIW mine does the same thing, can only hear it when the top is off or the windows down and its not too windy. Sounds just like a header leak or cracked exhaust manifold. Only when its in V4 mode and you give it a little throttle where it wont kick back into V8 mode. Mine also does it any speed in that RPM range when in V4 under light load, if you are next to another car in traffic or a high curb you can really hear it.

I'm on my 3rd tensioner, it has done it since day one. The first tensioner leaked out all its oil it could around 1200 miles, then it would chirp when SWITCHING between V4 and V8. Replaced that one and the new one started leaking, third one hast leaked in 1000 miles so I guess its OK. But the ticking under light acceration in V4 mode hasnt changed a bit. Its a bit annoying at times, been up and down looking for exhaust leaks, since it only happens in V4 cant check it by just brake torquing it, maybe can lock it in V4 with the tech II or whatever they are using on these but so far I'm not that worried about it. Sounds like a 72 Ford van with a cracked exhaust manifold when it does it, but its still getting great mileage and sounds/runs fine in V8 mode.

GM has 4.5 years and 95,000 miles to worry about it, for now I'm not letting them fool with it. When it starts annoying me I just manual shift it, I'll probably pick up one of the Range technology things to stop it from going into V4 eventually once I find out they work OK on C7s.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It sounds exactly like a part I had replaced under warranty recently - a failed drive belt tensioner. It's a known issue and GM notice PIP5185A can be pulled up by the dealer and it's on a thread on this forum.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I'm on my 3rd tensioner, it has done it since day one. The first tensioner leaked out all its oil it could around 1200 miles, then it would chirp when SWITCHING between V4 and V8. Replaced that one and the new one started leaking, third one hast leaked in 1000 miles so I guess its OK.
kp; Do you by chance happen to have on your repair ticket the part numbers for the tensioners that have been replaced on your car? You are the 2nd or 3rd person I've read about that have had multiple tensioner failures. I am trying to determine if GM has a new part for this problem, or if they are still using the original part for the fix.

·
Registered
26 Posts
kp; Do you by chance happen to have on your repair ticket the part numbers for the tensioners that have been replaced on your car? You are the 2nd or 3rd person I've read about that have had multiple tensioner failures. I am trying to determine if GM has a new part for this problem, or if they are still using the original part for the fix.
They were the same part number, the second replacement was ordered a couple days after I put the first replacement, it was leaking pretty bad the day I put it on. The first replacement that leaked had an older date code than the original etched in it though, the second replacement was newer, I changed them out myself. That was a couple months ago, they may have a newer part number now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rattle turned out to be the tensioner, SWO info attached with bulletin number and part replaced.
ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1407295752.664581.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

1 - 13 of 13 Posts