Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in your response to the below article. Must be a Z51 Performance Package and LT3 Package and not just a base Corvette.

Read on Autoweek.com

If you're counting pennies to buy a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, your target base price is $71,860.

How do we know? Always read the fine print.

That number was buried in the rules for the Race To Win A Corvette contest, listed as the approximate value of the car that is part of the grand-prize package. The prize also includes a trip for two to the 2014 24 Hours of Le Mans race (approximate value, $10,750).

Chevy has made no comment on the Stingray's base price. Until now, the only price hint we've had was from Corvette chief engineer Tadge Juechter, who said that if you can afford the current car, you'll be able to afford the Stingray. The 2013 Corvette coupe has a base price of $50,595 including shipping charges.

The 6.2-liter V8, 450-hp Stingray is set to arrive in dealerships this fall.

If you're a little short on the 70-or-so grand in your bank account, enter the contest to win the car and the trip. We did.

You can enter through the racetowincorvette.com page or through the contest Facebook page. Alternately, fans can tweet @TeamChevy and use the #Win2014Corvette hashtag.

To register without online access or a mobile device, entrants can mail a 3” x 5” card with name, address, day and evening phone numbers, email address and date of birth to Race To Win A Corvette, P.O. Box 5046, Department 595546, Kalamazoo, MI 49003.

The sweepstakes began on March 15 and ends Aug. 12 at midnight. You must be 18 to enter, and two entries are accepted, one through the website or mail, and one through Twitter.

The Le Mans trip includes two plane tickets from an airport close to the winner's home, five days and four nights in a hotel, two tickets to the 24 Hours of Le Mans and $800 in spending money. And with the tickets and hotel paid for, that's just a French wine and cheese bonus.

Otherwise, start collecting those pennies.

Read more: Corvette Stingray price? How about $71,860 - Autoweek

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Yes this is nuts, base C7 will be under $55k. Take whatever a C6 costs with your options and add maybe $3k -4k.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
At 70K I would be keeping what I've got, or maybe looking at late model C-6, maybe even a well kept C5.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See the comment I received below from the author of the Autoweek article. I contacted the author to see if there was some mistake. The author seems to stick to the story and says if the story was not accurate he would have heard from Chevy. I still think the story is "off".

"Hey Jim, the giveaway car was $71,860. We did take the word “base” out of the story to be fair though. On the second point, I actually thought the giveaway cars are usually base model. Thinking of The Price is Right here, five-speed manual, steel wheels type of thing. But since Chevy didn’t comment, we think we’re close. I’d think that if we were way off, they would have said, “you’re way off.” But you are right, it does seem like a lot if they are trying to get young people into it."

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
See the comment I received below from the author of the Autoweek article. I contacted the author to see if there was some mistake. The author seems to stick to the story and says if the story was not accurate he would have heard from Chevy. I still think the story is "off".

"Hey Jim, the giveaway car was $71,860. We did take the word “base” out of the story to be fair though. On the second point, I actually thought the giveaway cars are usually base model. Thinking of The Price is Right here, five-speed manual, steel wheels type of thing. But since Chevy didn’t comment, we think we’re close. I’d think that if we were way off, they would have said, “you’re way off.” But you are right, it does seem like a lot if they are trying to get young people into it."

Autoweek doesn't have a clue. Just because GM didn't comment doesn't make it true. GM has said several times if you can afford a C6 you can afford a C7. That tells you pricing will be close to C6 pricing my guess is within 10% of current C6 base pricing. The $70k price would be a fully loaded C7.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts