Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On hard acceleration, my Stingray backfires quite often, most of the time when I am going up a freeway on-ramp. Is this normal? If not, what could be the cause? It is a six-speed automatic. It will also backfire on occasion while shifting during hard acceleration.....either in Sport mode or Touring mode.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Sometimes if you exceed the rev limiter you will get the same effect. I have experienced it many times. What I now do is push a little more linear on the pedal. cutnout aka Charlie

Reactions: Ret9580

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Glen & cutout.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually kind of like the sound......now my Harley's sound like an explosion, but I expect that from a Harley......put air horns on both for my own self preservation

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have notice that the computer handling stuff (that's a technical term) causes the exhaust to sound meaner when it kicks in. My understanding is that this is because it reduces timing to reduce torque. It almost sounds like it is backfiring when it does this. Could this be what's going on? Are you accelerating so hard that the dash board skid marks light (another technical term) is coming on.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
755 Posts
If it is for sure "back-firing" under load, then there probably is an issue with the tunning of the engine. But if not it is as previously mentioned, a part of the new C7 exhaust tystem and how they have made it sound at the factory. My ZR1 was the same and it did not effect the performance. I had a fob to quiet the exhaust when in the city or open it up when on the highway. Of course I left it open all the time. haha!! A great sound expecially when de-accelerating. I do not think you should have genuine back firing under load. Have them check it at the dealership.:eek:

·
Registered
922 Posts
It's normal, GM programmed it to save transmission on shifts.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the same issue. A sound I assume is - or at least sounds exactly like - backfiring. But only under DEceleration. My first thought is that this is some attempt at GM to make the engine sound "mean". If so, absurd doesn't even begin to describe my opinion on the issue. If not, then............. what is it?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I have the same issue. A sound I assume is - or at least sounds exactly like - backfiring. But only under DEceleration. My first thought is that this is some attempt at GM to make the engine sound "mean". If so, absurd doesn't even begin to describe my opinion on the issue. If not, then............. what is it?
No, it's not something GM intentionally created to make it sound mean, it's the normal sounds a high performance engine makes when it has a fairly unrestricted exhaust system. It's unburnt fuel hitting the exhaust and igniting usually exaggerated by lean conditions due to the higher exhaust temps. If you have the stock exhaust or have the NPP exhaust in quiet mode you will rarely hear it but it's quite pronounced with the NPP exhaust in the open position.

The shift pop, OTOH, was programmed in by GM to simulate the sound the race car makes when it shifts. To be more precise, they left the sound thee rather than tune it out which is what they usually do. It too is caused by unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust and is caused by the momentary loss of spark used to, as other have said, help prevent damage to the transmission. It's technically called torque management.

Reactions: greggshere

·
Registered
146 Posts
No, it's not something GM intentionally created to make it sound mean, it's the normal sounds a high performance engine makes when it has a fairly unrestricted exhaust system. It's unburnt fuel hitting the exhaust and igniting usually exaggerated by lean conditions due to the higher exhaust temps. If you have the stock exhaust or have the NPP exhaust in quiet mode you will rarely hear it but it's quite pronounced with the NPP exhaust in the open position.

The shift pop, OTOH, was programmed in by GM to simulate the sound the race car makes when it shifts. To be more precise, they left the sound thee rather than tune it out which is what they usually do. It too is caused by unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust and is caused by the momentary loss of spark used to, as other have said, help prevent damage to the transmission. It's technically called torque management.
Very interesting answer. Thank you. You're right in that I do run the exhaust full open all the time. I'll try the mid or "closed" position to and see what happens. The important thing is that it appears that it's normal. :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I love the sound of the pop when it occurs when I upshift spiritedly and the cackle of a deceleration. Of course I'm an old Thrush/Cherry Bomb guy at heart. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 8 speed automatic, non Z51, 2015 C7 Convertible recently started backfiring in Sport mode during hard acceleration 0-60. It had not done this for 6 months and then it started. This is not a gurgle, it is a very loud bang. Interestingly I had never used Track mode before, and shortly after using track mode, the car started backfiring in Sport mode. This may or may not be related, I do not know, just something I noticed. It does not backfire in either Touring or Track mode. I am taking it to the dealer this week and will report on the findings. Thank you to everyone who posts all the helpful information on this website, I have learned a lot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bumping this thread...I was on a right hand sweeping on-ramp tonight, gettin' on it pretty hard and when I up-shifted, the car backfired and scared the hell out of me. It was LOUD. At first I thought something hit the side of the car (did I just get shot at?) It seriously sounded like a gun went off just outside the rear window. Wow.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
in Sports mode, when starting in the garage with the windows down you can hear a nice loud blast when the engine turns over! Once i did this when my son was walking behind the car.... oops. Now i always go out a minute early and let er rip first ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts